PDA

View Full Version : Plans for next year?

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 18:09
Apart from completely ignoring some wankerz on AOS ;)

I was thinking System wise!

chelsea
28-12-2012, 18:10
Want to buy a cheapish sub very soon.

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 18:12
I'm looking for a nice Toobe Phonostage (Croft is the obvious) :eyebrows:

Roy S
28-12-2012, 18:13
Try and settle on a turntable that I like the sound of all the time

walpurgis
28-12-2012, 18:22
Build my new pickup arm. I've started sourcing materials, two batches arrived today. It's an unusual design I have in mind and I'll be featuring my project's progress on AOS.

Marco
28-12-2012, 18:32
Nice one. Can't wait to see that, Geoff! :)

I'm pretty much sorted, system-wise, although I may consider getting another copper amp and bi-amping my Lockwoods, and/or buy a nice TD-124, for fettling, or a Grail Audio BBC Garrard 301, as an alternative to the Techy.

Marco.

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 18:32
Hi Geoff
Ive been doing a couple of trials, I've removed the Mayware Aluminium armtube & mass ring, fitted a carbon fibre tube..far lighter but yet more rigid. Im gonna get this ADC '26' singing optimum if it kills me..

Nice one. Can't wait to see that, Geoff! :)

I'm pretty much sorted, system-wise, although I may consider getting another copper amp and bi-amping my Lockwoods, and/or buy a nice TD-124, for fettling, or a Grail Audio BBC Garrard 301, as an alternative to the Techy.

Really buddy i was near on certain youd go for an EMT..but 'TD124' are pure sexzy loike.. im not a fan of Bi-Amping period.

TBL
28-12-2012, 18:43
Mine is to finally get off my lazy arse and get my self build TT off the ground,

southall-1998
28-12-2012, 18:45
Get efficient speakers!

Marco
28-12-2012, 18:47
Really buddy i was near on certain youd go for an EMT..but 'TD124' are pure sexzy loike.. im not a fan of Bi-Amping period.

Lol... I quite like the idea of going active with my Tannoys, via the bi-amping route, and in turn upping the power on tap to 100WPC, Class A, which I think would be rather naughty! :eyebrows:

EMTs? Love 'em, but the idler bug bites! ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 18:47
can't beat em geoff, im of the believing that efficient speekerz /low powered amps are pure bliss..

EMT? Love 'em, but the idler bug bites! ;)

Idler does, im experimenting at the mo with the Mayware arm, ADC '26' is a true killar & i'm gonna get the ultimate out of it if it kilz mi.. & as i don't have much of an home life this year..i'll get sorted soon hopefully.. I must knock this arm mass down a bit more fer perfection..

Wakefield Turntables
28-12-2012, 18:59
- New reference grade solid state and valve phonostages for both my systems.
Maybe a Whest or something from the Lurcher or maybe a custom built croft.

- A properly sorted out and optimised power system for the 1210, cant decided
to go the hard wired our PS Audio route :scratch:

Other than that, nothing else.

BTH K10A
28-12-2012, 19:06
EMTs? Love 'em, but the idler bug bites! ;)

Marco.

EMT did idlers too :eyebrows:

How about a 930, still within the realms of reality

or sell your car for a Thorens 101 (gold painted 930 but plenty of kudos)

or mortgage your house for a 927

or sell everything you possess for a 927F :D

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 19:09
Thorens 101

:eyebrows:

tannoyman
28-12-2012, 19:27
Hi Andre

My plan is to compete the vintage system I have been working on for the last couple of months. The Ferrograph S1 Monitor speakers are absolute little gems (complete with their hostess trolley castors - very 1970's) and just need the one refurbished mid range unit and tweeter replacing (Tomorrow hopefully) Then next week to get the Quad 33 serviced in Huntingdon and it will be job done. Already visitors are amazed by the performance of my £400 (plus £500 to refurb and service it) vintage system. It carries its years very lightly and the mid range is sublime, thanks to the Audax 2" fabric dome unit.

Many thanks to Adam (Beobloke) who very kindly gave me some spares for the Ferrographs and to Andre (Rare Bird) for the vintage reviews which were also very welcome

I will post a report and pictures in a few weeks time when it is complete and at least partially run in. Even partly finished it just keeps getting better

David :):)

julesd68
28-12-2012, 19:29
My aim is to spend absolutely nothing on hi-fi in 2013 ... :(

Firstly, I don't have any money.
Secondly, the system is really well sorted for now.
Thirdly, what little money I do have I would like to spend on vinyl. :)

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 19:32
Dave:
For one your very welcome, secondly your Quad/Ferro system is pure bliss..:eyebrows:

Wish i could fit a pair of 'S1' in our pad :( however im shagging my Castles

Marco
28-12-2012, 19:36
EMT did idlers too :eyebrows:

How about a 930, still within the realms of reality

or sell your car for a Thorens 101 (gold painted 930 but plenty of kudos)

or mortgage your house for a 927

or sell everything you possess for a 927F :D

Lol... I know that EMT have done idlers (and they're excellent), however, I prefer the looks of the TD-124, and most importantly, its dinky-small footprint. Whatever turntable I use *MUST* fit on my Mana rack! :)

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/241/06082007086dx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/06082007086dx0.jpg/)

Can't see an EMT (and all its associated gubbins) fitting in there! ;)

[Old picture, but it illustrates the point].

Marco.

brian2957
28-12-2012, 19:56
I'm going to spend some time upgrading my mains set up . Just added a couple of Furutech plugs and a Furutech cable today and the results were well worth the effort .:D

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 19:57
Lol... I quite like the idea of going active with my Tannoys, via the bi-amping route, and in turn upping the power on tap to 100WPC, Class A

Nien enjoy the curret you have at low power as it is....

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 19:59
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/241/06082007086dx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/06082007086dx0.jpg/)

Yeh i can understand why you need a new TT :lol: wtf that on the top shelf some kinda sandwich machine? onnly kiddin bud

Marco
28-12-2012, 20:03
Lol - that's my awesome sounding Sony X-777ES CD transport! :)

Marco.

wee tam
28-12-2012, 20:03
system will largely stay unchanged ,
but
extra bracing /decent dinding posts / and maybe some long haired sheeps' wool for the speakers , oh and a mitch match plinth for the legend , somewhere between the legend and the "turntable , using parts from both with an 18 mm sandwhich plinth to 4 ish inches

Rare Bird
28-12-2012, 20:04
Lol - that's my awesome sounding Sony X-777ES CD transport! :)

;) I know Bud Sony are good at what they do.

Marco
28-12-2012, 20:11
Yup - the best of their vintage CDPs are almost unrivalled, sonically, IMO... The transport doesn't live there anymore (the copper amp does); the X-777ES is located underneath my DAS-R1 DAC and Croft preamp, although not shown in this picture:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9488/06082007088fa1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/06082007088fa1.jpg/)

Marco.

Thermionic Idler
28-12-2012, 20:33
Solid brass platter and bearing upgrade for the 301;
Might upgrade the pickup arm;

Other than maybe some power conditioning and other miscellaneous tweaks, that's about it --- I'm pretty content with the rig as it stands now.

Mind you, that's what I said this time last year....

chelsea
28-12-2012, 20:36
Have a new bearing coming for my 301 in a few weeks.

tannoyman
28-12-2012, 20:46
Dave:
For one your very welcome, secondly your Quad/Ferro system is pure bliss..:eyebrows:

Wish i could fit a pair of 'S1' in our pad :( however im shagging my Castles

Hi Andre

You are right. I had limited expectations from it at the start of the project but as its gone on and I have begun to hear the results I am very impressed with it. I fully expected it to be a bit dissapointing but it's been the reverse. Your Castles cannot be much smaller than the Ferros if you wanted a pair. I suspect that you might want to accomodate both.

Happy New Year and thanks again for your help

David:):)

hoopsontoast
28-12-2012, 20:49
Keep on to a system for more than a month or so :mental:

But honestly, crack on with the DIY turntable and hopefully find some speakers to better the Kolts with some bass.
Amp to stay for the foreseable, unless I manage to find another Decware Zen or AN Oto for a absolute bargain price.
The S9000ES is going nowhere, may add a DAC at some point for PS3/SKY box but thats not essential.

Trying to be sensible in 2013 spending wise so we will see what happens.

Pete The Cat
28-12-2012, 21:07
1) Find time to properly compare my recent Avondale monos with the Exposure SXVIII.
2) Find time to respray the plinth for my 401.
3) Find time to rebuild that Thorens 150 from all the parts in the large box on top of the cupboard.

There's a common theme here.

Pete

walpurgis
28-12-2012, 21:27
Build my new pickup arm. I've started sourcing materials, two batches arrived today. It's an unusual design I have in mind and I'll be featuring my project's progress on AOS.

Well I've mentioned the pickup arm, but I too have a few boxes of bits to deal with. A 60wpc Class D Tripath type power amp and separate power supply to put together and into cases. A Connisseur BD1 to overhaul, put in a plinth and mate with a Rega R200. A Pioneer PL-61 to overhaul/refurb (it may need a new arm). and a few other miscellaneous small projects. I'm seriously considering building 1/4 wavelength transmission line cabinets for either my Tannoy HPD 295A or System 800 drivers, but I suspect that may be some way down the road yet.

BTH K10A
28-12-2012, 21:46
Lol... I know that EMT have done idlers (and they're excellent), however, I prefer the looks of the TD-124, and most importantly, its dinky-small footprint. Whatever turntable I use *MUST* fit on my Mana rack! :)

Marco.

That only means that your rack's too small :eyebrows:

Marco
28-12-2012, 22:17
As is the room, dude. At the moment, there's more vinyl in there than anything else (!) (I must get some wall shelves made to house all my records), so unfortunately no space for an EMT. That situation, however, may well change in the near future! ;)

Marco.

Jonboy
28-12-2012, 22:50
would like to get my lenco re-plinthed but can't decide on a arm yet, and fancy trying a new usb dac or converter, apart fro that still happy with the Tannoys and my various old valve amps, the Loftin white project amp is hopefully going to be up and running again soon after a few mods :eyebrows:

Tim
28-12-2012, 23:40
Just four really . . .

Buy more music
Discover more new artists
Learn more about artists I don't know much about
Try not to go to as many gigs in 2013!

My system is sorted ;)

Spectral Morn
29-12-2012, 00:21
I am selling quite a lot of my gear in the new year (Ruark Equinox speakers, Audio Innovations Series 1000 mk3 mono amps, at least one Technics turntable, a BSE Slate Deck + more) and there will be a mountain of vintage tuners coming up for sale as well soon + at least two reel to reel recorders.

A general clear out is happening - my hoarding tendencies can't be allowed any more, I don't have the room.

Shock Horror :eek:.......

and I will be exploring and improving my computer audio set up (mainly the computer side). I am not abandoning anything, I am still a physical media type but when one can listen to very high quality original recordings its something worth exploring further.

Regards Neil

lewis
29-12-2012, 00:27
Hangin around and annoyin even more Wankerz on AOS!:drunk:

Marco
29-12-2012, 00:27
Computer audio? Wash yer mouth out, Neil! ;)

Never mind, it sounds like AoS members might be getting the opportunity to get their hands on some nice goodies :cool:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
29-12-2012, 00:32
Computer audio? Wash yer mouth out, Neil! ;)

Never mind, it sounds like AoS members might be getting the opportunity to get their hands on some nice goodies :cool:

Marco.

Yep computer audio. :eek:

I am still working with the final 'to go list' but some of it is already off to be sold - details in the new year.

Regards Neil

Tim
29-12-2012, 00:47
. . . and I will be exploring and improving my computer audio set up (mainly the computer side)
:eyebrows:

Slowly but surely the naysayers are starting to admit it *can* if done well produce exceptional results. The trick is to add it to a system you are already happy with and get the best of both worlds.

If you only want to buy old vinyl and listen to artists from bygone eras, then by all means don't go near it, as its clearly not for you . . . but . . . more and more current recording and performing artists are discovering they can cut out the middle men and sell directly from their websites, offering high quality downloads in a variety of formats together with artwork and sleeve-notes. I still like to buy something physical, but the prospect of this remaining as it is now, is doubtful. The future is vinyl in its limited but ever growing current trend, downloads are already major players and the now huge second-hand CD market (which will at some point become exhausted). The current 'new' CD market is in serious decline which will in time make it a niche item and therefore expensive.

Ignore it if you want to, but if you like discovering new music you need to bear it in mind guys. Don't feel threatened and dismiss it, have both a good vinyl playback system and a competent file based system, then you won't be denying yourself the chance of listening to and enjoying whatever you want - its here and its here to stay I'm afraid and thankfully you can now get high quality music at competitive prices, where the royalties go direct to the artist and not a fruit named corporation ;)

Of course if you never buy new music you can continue to throw tomatoes at us geeks :lol:

Lodgesound
29-12-2012, 01:13
To service and put into use my pair of these.....

http://audioklassiks.de/Bilder/Technics/technics.slp-1200.01.jpg

Marco
29-12-2012, 01:16
They're beautiful things, Stewart, and should sound FAB! :eek: :respect:

You can't beat high-quality broadcast audio equipment.

Marco.

Floyddroid
29-12-2012, 11:23
New speakers for me! Probs another valve amp or upgrades to the one i have. Have a good new years Mr Bird.

Regards

Petch...Senior wanker.

Macca
29-12-2012, 13:15
To service and put into use my pair of these.....

http://audioklassiks.de/Bilder/Technics/technics.slp-1200.01.jpg

You have two of them? No wonder I could never find one for love nor money...share the wealth!

DSJR
29-12-2012, 13:50

Marco.

I've been told by an EMT "expert" that one needs the full shebang with an EMT including the trolley it came on... Don't know myself, but passing on what I regard as reliable info.......

Me? I'd love to continue working past Easter, yet have more time to listen to music - still loads of LP's and CD's I haven't played in decades :(

DSJR
29-12-2012, 13:52
You have two of them? No wonder I could never find one for love nor money...share the wealth!

Fellas, stop listening with your EYES!!!!! That player WAS a goodie, but blindfold I'd be very surprised if the sonics couldn't be beaten these days - I'll keep an open mind though :)

Rare Bird
29-12-2012, 13:59
I have a 'SL-P999' boxed up i bet it sounds no better

Macca
29-12-2012, 14:05
Fellas, stop listening with your EYES!!!!! That player WAS a goodie, but blindfold I'd be very surprised if the sonics couldn't be beaten these days - I'll keep an open mind though :)

lol - with 90% of CD players it is more a case of personal preference than better or worse IMO. I agree it probably would not better my Sony, it is just one of those bits of kit I've always wanted, just for the sake of it really.

Mike - H
29-12-2012, 16:03
To finally complete my 401, plinth booked in to be sprayed in the new year, arm and cable sat waiting and cartridge ordered. This has been dragging on since July. Then get back to buying music, whilst looking for some speakers commensurate with the rest of my system and room, that should be me for the next ten years or so, I'm not one of life's box swappers.

Mike

Rare Bird
29-12-2012, 16:08
I know how you feel Mike. I use the deck i do because i have very little spare time this year due to unexpected overtime overload :eek:

Anyway some day i might complete my Lenco project :)

Beobloke
29-12-2012, 17:41
In no particular order:

- finally finish fitting my 301 into its new plinth

- sort my SP10's PSU out and get it running

- collect my new SL1210 (£15!!!) and decide what to do with it.

- repair SD Acoustics SD1, AR66BX, Goodmans RB65 and Leak 3090 speakers and enjoy them. They probably won't all be staying....

- repair and get shot of at least three of my five radiograms!

- continue the search for the various turntable rarities that I wish to own. So many decks, so little time!

walpurgis
29-12-2012, 20:12
So many decks, so little time!

Where have I heard that quote before?

Oh, hang on, I think it was Mae West and maybe the word wasn't "decks".