PDA

View Full Version : cart mounting questions

julesd68
26-12-2012, 19:04
I was recently putting away the bits and pieces I had left after mounting my new Garrott cart, and noticed that I had two tiny metal washers left. I had put washers underneath the cart between the nuts and headshell, but not on top between screws and headshell - just hadn't thought to do it.
Are these purely to protect the headshell from wear if the screws are overtightened?

Whilst a very good technical match on paper, the cart is very light and I needed to turn the weight on the Kuzma to somewhere near its limit. It's balanced at the recommended weight without a problem, but is there anything to be gained from adding a headshell weight and re-balancing?
Can re-distributing the weight in this way make any difference to the sound? :scratch:

The cart sounds amazing right now and don't really want to re-mount it unless I really have to!

Rare Bird
26-12-2012, 22:37
Depends which way around you fit the bolts, If for instance it's a Rega arm it's best letting the nuts fall in the headshell channels. if a flat type headshell, i'll use washers to protect the finish or protect from crushing the cart body..

Audioman
27-12-2012, 10:59
Depends which way around you fit the bolts, If for instance it's a Rega arm it's best letting the nuts fall in the headshell channels. if a flat type headshell, i'll use washers to protect the finish or protect from crushing the cart body..

Just a point with washers. If they are there to protect the finish on the top of a headshell nylon would be required. Metal washers may do more harm than good. Still can get things tight in respect to the cartridge/headshell interface.