PDA

View Full Version : Rogers LS6 Speakers - Good or Bad?

Wakefield Turntables
26-12-2012, 18:43
I've been given a chance to purchase a pair of these for a reasonable price. So I was wondering two things.

A) Are they any good?

b) Whats a fair price for a pair?

Thanks

Andy

istari_knight
26-12-2012, 19:51
Nice speakers, bass isn't anything to write home about but quite good at everything else... Performed best with 60+wpc amplifiers - A bit slow and soggy with anything lower than that IME.

I owned mine for 2 years which is a record as I haven't owned a pair of speakers for that long before or after the LS6's. I paid £60 7 years ago & would expect to pay around £100 for a pair now... £120 if really nice condition.

julesd68
26-12-2012, 20:36
I used to love these speakers in the 80's and demo'd them a few times, so I bought a near mint pair off ebay for £180 about three years ago as I was really keen to see if they were as good as I remember.

Sadly I was dissapointed by what I heard in my system. Bass was really limited which was surprising given the size of the cabs. They have a pleasant-ish warm delivery but are never going to excite IMO. I think that there must be better second-hand options out there.

DSJR
26-12-2012, 20:41
As with many Rogers speakers of this time, they changed at least once in production. The original LS6 was lovely but didn't like being moved about as I vividly remember. The later ones had this under control but the sound dried out a bit and the charm wasn't there in comparison. Even then, ordering replacement drivers was a nightmare, since serial numbers weren't enough (we had to check the issue number on the crossovers too).

Remember, these things are nearly thirty years old and don't spend over £200 unless you know the particular pair.

Wakefield Turntables
26-12-2012, 20:59
Thanks, at the price this guy wanted for them i think I'll pass. I'll put the money towards some vinyl :cool:

DSJR
27-12-2012, 13:34
It's a sort-of Tannoy thang going on here. Spendor BC1's and their descendants & siblings have gone through the roof on price, along with the Rogers Export and Studio 1 series, then the LS7 models and now the price rises are filtering down through the 80's Rogers range (a bit of BBC desirability rubbing off on them)...

If you want some well behaved cheaper speaker fun, have a look for Celestion DL6 or DL8's or later Tannoy Mercury's and Venus, which offer great sound and larger quantity on the used market. I'm also a huge fan of the KEF 104ab (MUST be the ab version), which had a second life with digital and non fruitbox vinyl sources in the 80's and 90's.....

Wakefield Turntables
27-12-2012, 14:33
I've already got five pairs of speakers this would have been number six:eyebrows: I think I'm toning to pass on them. My next pair would either be tannoy or some yam ns1000

istari_knight
27-12-2012, 15:37
It's a sort-of Tannoy thang going on here. Spendor BC1's and their descendants & siblings have gone through the roof on price, along with the Rogers Export and Studio 1 series, then the LS7 models and now the price rises are filtering down through the 80's Rogers range (a bit of BBC desirability rubbing off on them)...

If you want some well behaved cheaper speaker fun, have a look for Celestion DL6 or DL8's or later Tannoy Mercury's and Venus, which offer great sound and larger quantity on the used market. I'm also a huge fan of the KEF 104ab (MUST be the ab version), which had a second life with digital and non fruitbox vinyl sources in the 80's and 90's.....

I agree. Although I would add the Heybrook HB2 to that list :)

Dingdong
27-12-2012, 17:08
Just get yerself a nice pair of Dm2's.