PDA

View Full Version : New member saying hello

losenotaminute
25-12-2012, 07:52
Merry Christmas everyone.

I'm new to the forum, so thought I should introduce myself :)

I grew up in the 70s and 80s, before cd became pervasive. For some reason I never really liked cd and since getting back into vinyl have been having a blast.

The turntable on my old Fisher midi system (it wasn't actually too bad for a mass market product) packed-in last year so a few months ago I set out on the path of getting some better quality hifi kit. I had a quick look in the local Linn dealership but wasn't blown away. I then discovered a great retro dealer in Edinburgh with an Aladdin's cave of components. On his advice I have the current system, which I think fits together fairly well, at least for a start:

Linn Sondek LP12 with Ittok LV II arm and Asaka cartridge
Lantek Audio moving coil step-up pre-amplifier
Pure Sound P10 valve phono stag
Naim NAC 92 pre-amplifier (separate Russ Andrews PSU)
Naim NAP 90 power amplifier
Ruark Equinox floor standing speakers

I enjoy rock (Genesis, Springsteen, Neil Young), but also a bit of electronic stuff from my youth (Kraftwerk, Howard Jones, Jean Michel Jarre).

I'm looking forward to working my way up to the "grail" system. Next acquisition might be a good cd player, to see if I can overcome my distate for them. Does anyone have any recommendations? What about the Naim models?

Having been lurking on the forum for a few days, I see I have a tremendous amount to learn.

Lawrence

Ali Tait
25-12-2012, 08:35
Hi, welcome. Would that be Retro Reproductions?

losenotaminute
25-12-2012, 08:44
Hi, welcome. Would that be Retro Reproductions?

Yes, Graham has been very helpful. I wish his website was better though so people could see the amazing kit in the shop.

The Grand Wazoo
25-12-2012, 08:51
Hi Lawrence,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your introduction.
Cheers

Ali Tait
25-12-2012, 09:44
Yes, Graham has been very helpful. I wish his website was better though so people could see the amazing kit in the shop.

Aye, a lot of good stuff in there.

DSJR
25-12-2012, 11:40
Merry Christmas everyone.

I'm new to the forum, so thought I should introduce myself :)

I'm looking forward to working my way up to the "grail" system. Next acquisition might be a good cd player, to see if I can overcome my distate for them. Does anyone have any recommendations? What about the Naim models?

Having been lurking on the forum for a few days, I see I have a tremendous amount to learn.

Lawrence

Welcome, and the best compliments of the season to you :)

Hope your audio journey is fun for you, but be careful initially.

The Naim amp you have is a tricky one to match non-Naim CD players to. A CD3 "done up" by Avondale would be excellent I think, as would a CD3.5 with add-on supply for the output stage (Flatcap). Popular alternatives should be chosen with extreme care I feel.

I've been accused of jumping in with both feet and putting new members off with my "pronouncements," so I sincerely hope you'll take the above as a launching pad and that your dealer on used stuff will allow you 24 hours or so to see if your future purchases will suit the system and your listening tastes. Beware though, that NO alternative source will sound like your Linn vinyl setup unless you have a Cirkus as a minimum upgrade and possibly a cartridge re-think later on (the Asaka was FAR better than the Klyde though - avoid the latter at all costs - ghastly coloured thing!).

Hope I haven't put you off :)

losenotaminute
25-12-2012, 11:57
Hi Dave

I have been advised to get the cartridge checked over given its age, but I'm not sure if this is necessary. Now I have everything up and running I wouldn't want two weeks of down-time. I will be testing the setup with someone who knows what they are doing tomorrow hopefully and will report back on any problems.

The main issue I have is that I live in a wooden framed block of flats, it is impossible to avoid a certain degree of wobble when people slam doors and the wind blows :scratch: The most expensive upgrade would be another (stone built) house.

Lawrence

attilio7
25-12-2012, 15:51
Welcome Lawrence, you have just found a great place :) Since you have been dissatisfied with CD music reproduction, may I suggest computer Audio.:eyebrows:This can be a very cost effective way of surpassing CD replay :lol: I am just about to go down that route myself.Have a gander at the Digital Expressions section.

losenotaminute
25-12-2012, 16:12
Welcome Lawrence, you have just found a great place :) Since you have been dissatisfied with CD music reproduction, may I suggest computer Audio.:eyebrows:This can be a very cost effective way of surpassing CD replay :lol: I am just about to go down that route myself.Have a gander at the Digital Expressions section.

Thanks, I will take a look. I know close to nothing about digital reproduction options. My brother suggested I could buy a cheap cd player with digital output (using something designed for DVD ensures reasonable quality) and then feed it through a DAC. Would I feed that as another source into the Naim pre-amp?

Lawrence

attilio7
25-12-2012, 16:42
Yes, you are on the right track. lot's of very good Dacs for little money.Better still if you have an old laptop doing nothing this can be used and rip all cds to that, with an external dac results can be amazing.I better shut up now this is meant to be a welcome thread.:lol: See over at Digital Expressions :)

daytona600
27-12-2012, 23:35
Hi lawrence lots of Lp lovers & scots on Aos