PDA

View Full Version : Graham Slee, Reflex M or C, to SUT or not to SUT

OneyedK
23-12-2012, 19:13
I'm thinking about buying a new phono pré.
Right now, I'm using the internal stage of my Musical Fidelity A3.
Switched to MM, using a Lundahl SUT for my DL-103R.
I use the AT-OC9ML/II without SUT to the same amp but switched to MC.

So a Reflex M could do the trick, if I keep the SUT or maybe even invest in an Elevator EXP. Once in a while I'm using an MM cartridge.

If I choose the Reflex C, I'm stuck with MC's only through the GS.
MM's would have to go to the MF A3 directly...

So Reflex M or C, what would you do, and why?

Thanks!

walpurgis
23-12-2012, 19:28
I'm thinking about buying a new phono pré.
Right now, I'm using the internal stage of my Musical Fidelity A3.
Switched to MM, using a Lundahl SUT for my DL-103R.
I use the AT-OC9ML/II without SUT to the same amp but switched to MC.

So a Reflex M could do the trick, if I keep the SUT or maybe even invest in an Elevator EXP. Once in a while I'm using an MM cartridge.

If I choose the Reflex C, I'm stuck with MC's only through the GS.
MM's would have to go to the MF A3 directly...

So Reflex M or C, what would you do, and why?

Thanks!

I'd go for the 'M' version with SUT personally. I use an ERA V Gold with a good SUT and it works brilliantly.

morris_minor
24-12-2012, 08:45
For the "synergy" thing, the best SUT for a Reflex M would be Graham Slee's own Elevator EXP (http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/mcstepupphonostagepreamp.htm), IMO . . . This has seven presets on front panel switches for different cartridge loading, too.

Edit: Karl - have a look here (http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/36963-graham-slee-elevator-exp/).

OneyedK
24-12-2012, 12:11
Thanks!

The M with the elevator EXP would be the best combo, I think.
But I have to admit, the price of the combo is a lot higher than my budget :blush:

Maybe I should wait, or get the M and save some more...

morris_minor
24-12-2012, 12:22
You could always borrow the kit from the GSP forum to see if it does the trick for you...

I can't see from my iPad where you're located but the scheme operates in Europe, the US and Australia as well as the UK. I've demoed lots of their kit and trying it at home for a couple of weeks is great way to get to know it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Johan
24-12-2012, 15:06
For the "synergy" thing, the best SUT for a Reflex M would be Graham Slee's own Elevator EXP.........

+1 , and also think of this......... The PSU1.

morris_minor
24-12-2012, 20:06
+1 , and also think of this......... The PSU1.
Indeed! My original GSP Solo SRGII had the switched mode PS and I tried it with PSU1. Reverting back to the PSU1 made the sound stage contract, dynamics were squashed and detail wasn't there in the same way. I now have a Solo UL with the PSU1, and it powers my Reflex M too. It's mandatory for the best performance, which is remarkable at GSP's price point.

BTW Happy Christmas everyone! :christmas:

OneyedK
25-12-2012, 09:16
Merry XMas everyone!

In the meantime, I registered to the GSP forum.
First, I'll have to fix my broken SL-1200, next, try a Reflex M + PSU1.