PDA

View Full Version : Technics mat replacement.

Floyddroid
19-12-2012, 08:19
Can anyone recommend a a mat to replace the rubber stock item on my Technics SL1500

Tarzan
19-12-2012, 08:24
Can anyone recommend a a mat to replace the rubber stock item on my Technics SL1500

Er, budget and what sound you looking for?:scratch:

freefallrob
19-12-2012, 09:20
Looks like your using a similar Techy/standard arm/2M blue as me, after quite a bit of experimentation I've found the stock (I use a SL1200mk2) 5mm rubber mat actually works really well in this situation.

Change the arm and suddenly the Funk Achromat starts to work...

For an experiment try a standard felt mat on the top of the rubber mat and see how you get on.

Ammonite Audio
19-12-2012, 10:20
I'd try the Achromat, stuck to the platter with a smear of petroleum jelly. I did once follow the herd and bought a Sound HiFi 'Herbies' mat but that just destroyed any dynamics that the Technics had, so I do recommend staying well clear of anything soft and gummy.

RobbieGong
19-12-2012, 13:01
Looks like your using a similar Techy/standard arm/2M blue as me, after quite a bit of experimentation I've found the stock (I use a SL1200mk2) 5mm rubber mat actually works really well in this situation.

Change the arm and suddenly the Funk Achromat starts to work...

For an experiment try a standard felt mat on the top of the rubber mat and see how you get on.

Hi Rob, Same as you. Tried loads of mats including, Herbies (Sound hifi), Speed mat, thin rubber, felt mats, Oyaide, Achromat - you name it and the one one that sounded 'right' to my ears everytime was the stock 3mm rubber mat on my Techie. Not all but some of the mats (Herbies in particular) killed the sound as if someone had put a blanket over the speakers. It's a very subjective issue as some get great results for them in their system while others dont with the same mat. I, like most (if not all) here use my ears (what else can we use) Good luck, whatever you find does it for you guys :)

Interesting comment re: the Achromat though as I've just changed my arm - ummhh !?!!

DSJR
19-12-2012, 13:07
The stock rubber mat is a fine base upon which to plonk something else... The platter on your SL1500 is still a bit bell-like when bare, but the stock mat kills any resonance here stone dead. The fixed height of the arm allows an extra mat to be placed on top and for this, a cork one I found the most neutral, since i couldn't afford to spend many tens of pounds on a fancy one like the Funk, let alone £20 on an acri-mat on fleabay.

For £9 inc free P&P, there's a pal of mine (online forum buddie) selling a cork mat for £8.95 with free P&P. Well worth a try and it's one of these I use still on the Garrards. Nowt fancy and no claims made for it at all, but it sounded fab on top of the SL1500 mat and the arm was level when playing as well....... ;)

chris@panteg
19-12-2012, 16:04
Interesting stuff , I'll try my original technics rubber mat on the Vantaged platter and live with it over xmas , it's worth a try and I've not heard it with the modded platter so why not ?

MCRU
19-12-2012, 19:34
Interesting stuff , I'll try my original technics rubber mat on the Vantaged platter and live with it over xmas , it's worth a try and I've not heard it with the modded platter so why not ?

Tried it and the vantage platter with nothing on sounds best IMO. I recently tried a carbon infused mat from Tonar who distribute Nagaoka in europe which I have started selling and it is pretty good for under £20, it resembles a slip mat and does not look anything special.

The Oyaide mat is still the one to beat for me if you are using the stock platter.

chris@panteg
19-12-2012, 20:43
Tried it and the vantage platter with nothing on sounds best IMO. I recently tried a carbon infused mat from Tonar who distribute Nagaoka in europe which I have started selling and it is pretty good for under £20, it resembles a slip mat and does not look anything special.

The Oyaide mat is still the one to beat for me if you are using the stock platter.

Yep , pretty much agree with that ! I do have problems with thin LP's slipping though , even with weight .

Stratmangler
19-12-2012, 20:56
Yep , pretty much agree with that ! I do have problems with thin LP's slipping though , even with weight .

Michell clamp maybe?

jagdesign
19-12-2012, 21:13
I'm using this with a Herbies on top: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SoundDeadSteel-Technics-LP1200-285mm-Isoplatmat-/190561371099?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5e57c3db

The Isoplatmat has a step machined in so it sits within the lip of the standard Technics platter. Sounds pretty good to my ears.

Yomanze
19-12-2012, 21:32
These stock platters ring like a bell quite literally when tapped, but some good advice IMO on sticking with the rubber. SRM Tech do an awesome silicone mat for £30, which is perfect for the sort of ringy metal platters usually found on direct drive decks! I found acrylic mats to do a good job too, but needed to use a clamp.

chris@panteg
19-12-2012, 21:50
The vantage bonded technics platter has very little ringing in it , and once an LP is placed on top its pretty much dead .

chris@panteg
19-12-2012, 21:55
Michell clamp maybe?

Yes ! Good suggestion Chris , forgot about that , or the clearaudio clever clamp ?

Wakefield Turntables
19-12-2012, 22:35
I use a Achromat 5mm 1210 version + Michell record clamp on PolyMorph (my 1210) and that sounds very good indeed. :trust:

UV101
20-12-2012, 17:39
I use a Achromat 5mm 1210 version + Michell record clamp on PolyMorph (my 1210) and that sounds very good indeed. :trust:

Plus 1 :D

Definitely no complaints here!

worrasf
02-02-2013, 19:31

I also have tried the stock rubber mat on the Vantage platter and agree with you and Chris that it sounds better without - just kills the high frequency zing and shimmer of percussion. In fact to date I've not heard any mat that improved the sound of the platter all by itself so I'm intrigued by your comment about the Tonar mat - are you saying that it does work well on top of the VA platter?

Steve

MCRU
03-02-2013, 11:36
I also have tried the stock rubber mat on the Vantage platter and agree with you and Chris that it sounds better without - just kills the high frequency zing and shimmer of percussion. In fact to date I've not heard any mat that improved the sound of the platter all by itself so I'm intrigued by your comment about the Tonar mat - are you saying that it does work well on top of the VA platter?

Steve

It does for me, you may as well try one for what they cost.