PDA

View Full Version : Album club week 72. 18/12/2012 Morrissey - You are the quarry

aquapiranha
17-12-2012, 23:00
So, I will start by saying I am not a big fan of the Smiths. I never really got into them when I was younger, but now I have heard the vast majority of their music I wil admit to liking some, but not all of it... Now, I heard a track from this album years ago, I think it might have been on radio 2, and I knew I had to buy the CD. If you have heard this before you will know that Morrissey is a very opinionated and sometimes arrogant person, but I do not think this detracts from the music at all. In fact, some of the lyrics are very prophetic, and also despite being sharp, are very often true.

So, this is what Wiki says...

Steven Patrick Morrissey (born 22 May 1959), known as Morrissey, is an English singer and lyricist. He rose to prominence in the 1980s as the lyricist and vocalist of the band The Smiths. The band was highly successful in the United Kingdom but broke up in 1987, and Morrissey began a solo career, making the top ten of the UK Singles Chart on ten occasions. His first solo album, 1988's Viva Hate entered the UK albums chart at number one. Widely regarded as an important innovator in indie music, Morrissey has been described by music magazine NME as "one of the most influential artists ever", and The Independent has stated "most pop stars have to be dead before they reach the iconic status he has reached in his lifetime". Pitchfork Media has called him "one of the most singular figures in Western popular culture from the last twenty years".
Morrissey's lyrics have been described as "dramatic, bleak, funny vignettes about doomed relationships, lonely nightclubs, the burden of the past and the prison of the home."He is also noted for his unusual baritone vocal style (though he sometimes uses falsetto), his quiff haircut and his dynamic live performances. His forthright and often contrarian opinions have led to a number of media controversies, and he has also attracted media attention for his advocacy of vegetarianism and animal rights.

So, that is the man, what of the music?..

The first single "Irish Blood, English Heart" became his highest charting single in the UK at #3 and received significant airplay in the US, going to #36 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. The album charted at #2 in the UK, held off the top spot by Keane's debut album, which prompted Morrissey to joke in concert at the time, "With regard to the album You Are the Quarry, if your name is Keane then you better leave now." It became Morrissey's highest charting album in the US, reaching #11.

Here is the Spotify link..

http://open.spotify.com/album/0i25ePJ8iYsveGaFWsOYmt

I hope at least some who listen enjoy my choice!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/You_Are_The_Quarry.jpg

Steve

Alex_UK
17-12-2012, 23:04
Thanks Steve! I LOVE this album, but not played it in ages, so a great opportunity. :)

aquapiranha
17-12-2012, 23:07
Thanks Alex. I love his sincerity and arrogance! Poll added.... Steve

Bazil
18-12-2012, 20:58
Oh boy I love Morrissey , I have Your Arsenal, Vauxhall and I ,Ringleader of the Tormentors and yet don't have this, looking forward to it.

chelsea
18-12-2012, 21:20
Great choice.
Anything morrissey or the smiths is a winner with me.

Alex_UK
18-12-2012, 22:36
Oh boy I love Morrissey , I have Your Arsenal, Vauxhall and I ,Ringleader of the Tormentors and yet don't have this, looking forward to it.

Well, I think you'll be in for a treat then Barry. :)

Tim
18-12-2012, 22:39
This ones new to me, so looking forward to it - I love hearing new stuff :)

Edit: Pleasantly surprised so far, never been a fan of The Smiths but this ain't half bad ;)

Audioman
19-12-2012, 10:50
Morrisey - Can't abide him personaly or musicaly - so you can guess what my vote will be. His latest interview and comments about the Duchess Of Cambridge where beyond the pale! Not surprised he and Mr Marr parted company permanently.

aquapiranha
19-12-2012, 11:15
What was he saying in the interview?

chelsea
19-12-2012, 11:33
I'am guessing this;
http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/12/morrissey-blames-duchess-of-cambridge-for-jacintha-saldanhas-death-3314610/

keiths
19-12-2012, 11:44
Morrisey - Can't abide him personaly or musicaly - so you can guess what my vote will be.

Me too. He really needs to chill out with a nice bacon sandwich.

Viz did a brilliant piss-take of his comments about the Olympics a few months ago:

Big Twat Strikes Again!
Smiths Frontman Slams 'Nazi' Brits

On his own website, outspoken pop twat Morrissey recently sparked outrage when he launched a blistering attack on the London Olympics. The former Smiths front-bellend claimed that the country was now "foul with jingoism", adding that "the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout Britain". His words were angrily denounced, but does he have a point? Did the population's wholesale embrace of the 2012 games spill over from innocent enjoyment into genocidal nazism? Or was Morrissey talking out of this arse as usual? We went out onto the streets to find out what the Geat British Public had to say on the matter...

"...I'm a sports fan, but I must admit that I think Morrissey has a point. I got tickets to see Canada versus Switzerland in the qualifying rounds of the ladies' football competition at St. James' Park, and I'm pretty sure I saw one of the stewards trying to round up some Jews at half time." Hampton Laidlaw, plumber's mate.

"...Morrissey was 100% right in what he said. A the opening ceremony, I was disgusted to see athletes from Grenada and Tuvalu being forced to walk behind flags bearing yellow stars. the sickening spectacle brought to my mind the horror of Hitler's Final Solution, and I had to leave the room until Paul McCartney came on. Then I had to leave the room again when he started singing." Yolande Chertsey, apprentice tree surgeon.

"...I couldn't agree more with Morressey. At the opening ceremony, the smiles on the faces of the athletes brought to mind the smile on the face of Hitler's deputy Josef Goebbels in that picture of him when he's smiling. It chilled my blood and I was quite unable to watch any of the games after that. Except the Women's Beach Volleyball." Pete Glans, unemployed headhunter

What do you think?
Morrissey says that the British people behaved like Nazis during the Olympics, but what do you think? Is he a bellend or a twat?
Text BELLEND or TWAT to 018118055.

Last week's Morrissey text-in results: Arsehole: 100%; Wanker: 100%

Audioman
19-12-2012, 11:52
What was he saying in the interview?

Suggesting Kate wasn't ill, shouldn't have been in hospital and in effect blaming her for the hoax call and the nurse's death. Realy put his foot in it this time. :mental:

chelsea
19-12-2012, 11:58
Yes he does talk complete rubbish now and then.

On the plus side the smiths did the best music by far in the 80s.
Also some superb stuff in his solo career.

Saw him last year and he was excellent.

MartinT
19-12-2012, 12:35
What a complete arse - over the olympics and the hoax call. It takes some kind of twisted logic and the requirement to be completely up one's own bottom to interpret events like that.

Macca
19-12-2012, 13:05
Me too. He really needs to chill out with a nice bacon sandwich.

Viz did a brilliant piss-take of his comments about the Olympics a few months ago:

Big Twat Strikes Again!
Smiths Frontman Slams 'Nazi' Brits

On his own website, outspoken pop twat Morrissey recently sparked outrage when he launched a blistering attack on the London Olympics. The former Smiths front-bellend claimed that the country was now "foul with jingoism", adding that "the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout Britain". His words were angrily denounced, but does he have a point? Did the population's wholesale embrace of the 2012 games spill over from innocent enjoyment into genocidal nazism? Or was Morrissey talking out of this arse as usual? We went out onto the streets to find out what the Geat British Public had to say on the matter...

"...I'm a sports fan, but I must admit that I think Morrissey has a point. I got tickets to see Canada versus Switzerland in the qualifying rounds of the ladies' football competition at St. James' Park, and I'm pretty sure I saw one of the stewards trying to round up some Jews at half time." Hampton Laidlaw, plumber's mate.

"...Morrissey was 100% right in what he said. A the opening ceremony, I was disgusted to see athletes from Grenada and Tuvalu being forced to walk behind flags bearing yellow stars. the sickening spectacle brought to my mind the horror of Hitler's Final Solution, and I had to leave the room until Paul McCartney came on. Then I had to leave the room again when he started singing." Yolande Chertsey, apprentice tree surgeon.

"...I couldn't agree more with Morressey. At the opening ceremony, the smiles on the faces of the athletes brought to mind the smile on the face of Hitler's deputy Josef Goebbels in that picture of him when he's smiling. It chilled my blood and I was quite unable to watch any of the games after that. Except the Women's Beach Volleyball." Pete Glans, unemployed headhunter

What do you think?
Morrissey says that the British people behaved like Nazis during the Olympics, but what do you think? Is he a bellend or a twat?
Text BELLEND or TWAT to 018118055.

Last week's Morrissey text-in results: Arsehole: 100%; Wanker: 100%

Man I just laughed my ass off at that. So funny.

(I can't be doing with Morrissey and the Smiths so I won't be listening or voting)

Bazil
20-12-2012, 12:36
Great album, I have heard some of the tracks, First of the Gang to Die many times.
I think his lyrics are brilliantly funny, he does carry on with them in the real world which can sometimes shock.
9/10 as the poll caption fits "Excellent, I'm off to order it now"

Canetoad
02-01-2013, 17:38
I liked it! Twats can still produce good music! :lol:

Gave it a 7 and ordered a copy. :)

MartinT
03-01-2013, 13:32
Having taken a listen, he just sounds like a misery with overly-contrived lyrics. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Tim
03-01-2013, 22:24
This started off OK, but after 3 tracks it started to sound the same and after half a dozen I got a little bored I'm afriad. So it seems he will sit in the same box as The Smiths - I know about them, I realise that people like them, but also that I'm not one of them.

3/10..... sorry Steve.

myles
03-01-2013, 22:45
I like it, and have done since it came out. Morrissey divides opinion, and no mistake!!

The Grand Wazoo
04-01-2013, 00:08
No, no, no, no, no!
It's all wrong. He's a talentless moaning git.

Several times over the years I've tried so hard to understand what it's all about - both him and his ex-band.
I can't.

I'd say a lot more but I won't for fear of offending.

Barry
04-01-2013, 01:07
So I guess that's a 'zero' from you Chris? :lol:

I can't vote as I do not subscribe to Spotify, though I imagine if I did my vote would be low.

Judging by the poll, Morrissey seems to have achieved that rare thing: an even distribution of votes. As many people love him as loath him, as those who are somewhat indifferent about him. :eek:

synsei
04-01-2013, 04:35
I can't stand the miserable little :wanker: nor his music(?). Can I step down off this fence now? :D (sorry Steve ;))

pjdowns
09-09-2013, 22:22
I just cannot stand Morrissey! 1/10