PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate Lenco GL75

Thing Fish
15-12-2012, 02:05
This guy is something else. The state of his equipment is something to behold.

Wait until you see the record he pulls out at 00:40...! he virtually throws it on the turntable...:lol:
There is also an audible thump as he throws it on the floor afterwards...!!!

At 02:26 he shows us an equipment rack to rival any i've ever seen...:stalks: The sonic qualities must rival that of a rice crispy.

He's so entertaining i'd give him his own show...:eek:

ReL3h_N6FA8

Audio Al
15-12-2012, 05:20
Well I thought it was very informative

I learnt more about my Lenko on that video than I have on this forum

Always wondered what the little weight on a cord did :)

And I now know how to fine tune the 33 and 45 rpm speeds

You can see the man is a long time enthusiast and has a hands on approach ( back in the day when he was a DJ )
How many members on here have a TT in the workshop ?

Great stuff :D

Wakefield Turntables
15-12-2012, 08:53
Yes! Sadly I have a garage set up that is so top secret even the other has no idea about it :)

Marco
15-12-2012, 09:44
Fooking hilarious - especially the dude's, erm, 'record care regime'!! :mental: :lol:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
15-12-2012, 10:31
These are the sort of people that just have a knowledge of how to get things working, he looks like the type of guy that's been there and done that, a little world weary of audiophile bull$hit, maybe, :scratch:

Marco
15-12-2012, 10:56
And he badly needs a bloody good wash and a haircut! :exactly:

Audiophile bullshit is one thing; looking after your records properly (and keeping your kit clean) is another!!

Marco.

Macca
15-12-2012, 11:19
It was only Tubular Bells. No loss there. Fun video - the TT in a draw is a neat idea even if it does look like it has been used down a coal mine in the past.

keiths
15-12-2012, 11:35
How many members on here have a TT in the workshop ?

Workshop? That's his lounge.

Cheers,
Keith

Marco
15-12-2012, 11:38
:lolsign:

Marco.

Canetoad
15-12-2012, 11:57
Looked like he has the DTs too! Oh, and has lost the tip of one of his thumbs! :eyebrows:

I was cringing at the way he was handling everything. :doh:

southall-1998
15-12-2012, 11:59
Looked like he has the DTs too! Oh, and has lost the tip of one of his thumbs! :eyebrows:

I was cringing at the way he was handling everything. :doh:

Yes, was wondering about that!

JazzBones
15-12-2012, 14:48
Interesting; now I know more about the Lenco than before so therefore educational.
Serious question: I noticed that there was a lot of clunking and clicking going on when he was demonstrating the various levers for speed adjustment, lift lowering of arm etc. When a Lenco has been properly set up in a plinth, and so on, do the levers still clunk and click... if they do it would drive me nuts?! :rolleyes:

Rare Bird
15-12-2012, 15:14
Wow i learned that an idler Wheel is aka a Pinch wheel :D

hifi_dave
17-12-2012, 17:33
Good fun video.

I'm looking forward to episode 2 where he gets the duster out..:rolleyes:

JazzBones
18-12-2012, 12:08
Interesting; now I know more about the Lenco than before so therefore educational.
Serious question: I noticed that there was a lot of clunking and clicking going on when he was demonstrating the various levers for speed adjustment, lift lowering of arm etc. When a Lenco has been properly set up in a plinth, and so on, do the levers still clunk and click... if they do it would drive me nuts?! :rolleyes:

What no one going to answer my serious question? Okay, I'll have to join Lenco Heaven then as I feel neglected :lol:

Dominic Harper
18-12-2012, 12:27
What no one going to answer my serious question? Okay, I'll have to join Lenco Heaven then as I feel neglected :lol:

Simple answer....yes.

walpurgis
18-12-2012, 13:00
Interesting how he lifted the platter straight off without undoing the small bolt on the side of the main bearing that retains the whole assembly. Maybe it's missing, in which case it'll be dribbling oil constantly, assuming he lubes it at all.

In answer to Ron's question, yes they are a bit clunky, but not as much as a Garrard 401/301. Good, solid, traditionally engineered items tends to have a clunky nature.

I personally am rather more careful with my vinyl. I hope that copy of Tubular Bells was only and old knackered one for demo purposes. Not that I like Tubular Bells, he can crunch and scratch as many as he likes, as far as I'm concerned.

Macca
18-12-2012, 13:18
I personally am rather more careful with my vinyl. I hope that copy of Tubular Bells was only and old knackered one for demo purposes. Not that I like Tubular Bells, he can crunch and scratch as many as he likes, as far as I'm concerned.

Even if we were to destroy 99.99% of all the exisiting copies of Tubular Bells that would still leave tens of thousands of them. Depressing thought eh?

Spur07
18-12-2012, 23:50
Interesting how he lifted the platter straight off without undoing the small bolt on the side of the main bearing that retains the whole assembly. Maybe it's missing, in which case it'll be dribbling oil constantly, assuming he lubes it at all.

Yes that's definitely the wrong way to remove the platter, dust and dirt can get in to the bearing housing and because of the weight of the platter you run the risk of damaging the spindle if you put it on to a flat surface. The previous owner of my GL59 used to do this (he'd lost the locking screw) and the spindle was massively bent, during each revolution of the platter there'd be a 1" hump - I had to replace it in the end.

oldius
22-12-2012, 09:36
It's clunk, click, every trip with a Lenco. That's part of the charm for me with the 60's and 70's Idler drives; solid engineering that it's possible to service and repair without an engineering background.

I've not watched the video but, to most "normal" folk, the stuff that is important to us provides them with the anorak accusations the typical audiophile would not be ashamed of.

My friend has a fantastic vinyl collection with some amazing and rare stuff. He worked for a long time as a DJ and in education for the arts council and he spins his DJ decks and flicks from one album to the next. Not for a second does he think that the first thing he should do is put the last album back in its spotless, poly lined sleeve. He wouldn't know that his bearing leaked until his wife told him something was damaging the sideboard. His focus is on the tunes baby!

I love the tunes but when he plays them for me, once I have busted some seriously dangerous moves, I cannot help myself; I HAVE TO LOOK AFTER HIS VINYL!