Stony
14-12-2012, 19:02
Floorstanding Speakers preferable
no less than 90dB please.
up to £1k

hard1175
15-12-2012, 17:45
Hi Stony
I have a pair of floor standing Heed audio envoy speakers for sale in private exhibitions they are 90db the cabinets are in cherry wood and in very good condition. for more info on them google tsource.

Regards Bernie:)

Ashmore
15-12-2012, 17:49
Maybe consider Colin Topps Edingdales. A little over budget but worth it.

Ali Tait
15-12-2012, 18:55
+1 for Edingdales.

DSJR
15-12-2012, 20:14
I believe Icon Audio have something but haven't heard them as yet.

Stony
16-12-2012, 16:33
Tnx guys for tips.

To be honest I have never heard about either Colin Topps Edingdales or MFV :(
Let me read ....

walpurgis
16-12-2012, 19:27
Some makes that spring to mind here are JBL, Stanley Kelly, Triangle and of course Tannoy. A huge variety of models offering over 90db sensitivity from these makers, available new and used apart from the Stanley Kelly models which are only found second hand now, but should not be under-estimated, they were good.

southall-1998
17-12-2012, 14:33
If your on the cheap....Mission 752 Freedom. But I'm keeping mines for a bit though :)

trane
17-12-2012, 15:00
hi Stef,
I have a pair of quite decent Audio Note AZ-Threes in cherry at 94dB/6Ohms. if interested, send a p.m., please, will you

Stony
17-12-2012, 21:46
:stalks: Edingdale

I went through 23 pages on Audio-talk forum and 8 pages here :steam:
And there is no single negative opinion.
People are selling Living Voices and buying Edingdales :confused: ???

Guys, is anybody willing to explain me how they can be such good when they are based on "modestly priced drivers" :hmm:

Any chance for demo in Suffolk, Norfolk or Cambridge district ?

Ali Tait
18-12-2012, 07:58
PM Colin. One reason is the way the drivers and crossover are configured, in such a way that each driver has an easy life and therefore low distortion. Another is the the very tight but deep bass they are capable of, gives a real sense of scale. A third was the switch from to a ribbon tweeter.

Having become accustomed to OB's and statics, I find most box speakers coloured in some way that I can find a bit annoying, but I could happily live with a pair of Edingdales. They image really well for a large floorstander too.

Toppsy
18-12-2012, 08:34
Stony,
I have your email where I'll reply with prices etc.

Re a demo in the Suffolk, Norfolk or Cambridge district, I'm afraid I have no clients of the Edingdales in those counties.

Nearest to you are in Kent - AOS member Ashmore, Portsmouth - AOS member Val33, Nailsworth Glos - AOS member NickB, and Devizes Wilts - AOS member Vinylspinner.

If any of those are within travel distance for you I will contact the owners (all AOS members) to ask if they are prepared to accommodate you with a demo at their homes.

Failing that I can offer you the same deal I have others that cannot travel up to Rossendale, Lancs for a demo my place. That offer is, if you place an order for a pair these speakers, pay for them in full and when they arrive you don't like them or they don't meet the sound quality you are expecting then if you return them to me in the same condition they were delivered (ie in perfect condition) then I will give you a 100% refund. To date no one has wanted to return these speakers for a refund. Can't say fairer than that.

Remember these are bespoke hand built speakers made to order and individual finish.

Regards
Colin

Stony
18-12-2012, 12:57
Hi guys,

Does anyone mentioned by Colin fancy to check how a GM70 :stalks: Russian valves based amp :eyebrows: fits the Edingdales please ?

krgds,
Stef

Toppsy
18-12-2012, 13:30
Stef,
I have added the AOS member names to my earlier post above should you wish to contact them direct?

DSJR
18-12-2012, 16:51
Ooooh, just think, you could hear the Eddingdales and then pop into AVI HQ in Nailsworth to hear the ADM9RSS - what a day out :lol:

Toppsy
18-12-2012, 18:22
DSJR,
as the ADM9RS's speakers cost the same price as my Edingdales, it would be a no contest. The Edingdales would win hands down. That I am 100% confident about.

lurcher
18-12-2012, 18:31
Hi guys,

Does anyone mentioned by Colin fancy to check how a GM70 :stalks: Russian valves based amp :eyebrows: fits the Edingdales please ?

krgds,
Stef

IMHO, you may find a GM70 is TOO powerful, unless its a very good gm70 amp, Colin has a pair of GM70 monoblocks we built to power some statics some time ago, The combination will have loads of headroom :-)

http://www.longdogaudio.com/projects/GM70/gm70_pair1.jpg

DSJR
18-12-2012, 20:01
DSJR,
as the ADM9RS's speakers cost the same price as my Edingdales, it would be a no contest. The Edingdales would win hands down. That I am 100% confident about.

Ah, but the shout goes out regularly that if your Eddingdales nave more bass and treble, it's because they're booming in the bass and with a harsh phasey crossover which ALL passiveley driven speakers exhibit, don't you know :lol:

I was being a bit naughty... The ADM9's are great for desktop use and as such, they do the job extremely well, so a video sound engineer tells me. They also seem to work well in "difficult" living rooms, where bigger speakers just cannot be brought out from walls. Thing is, and I'm sure you'd readily agree with me, much music has healthy bass output well below 50Hz these days and the inverted "V" response that many small monitors give doesn't always work for long-term domestic listening.

Still, since the bloody firm is in the same location as yourself, wouldn't hurt to cadge a listen one day to see what we're all mising ;)

AndrewL
18-12-2012, 20:49
I could be considered biased but would still go for the Edingdales against anything else in that price range. Great with a 300B and upwards.

Andrew

Stony
20-12-2012, 09:40
IMHO, you may find a GM70 is TOO powerful

My one has less than 20W but still it is easy to drive any speakers.

Toppsy
20-12-2012, 10:22
Stoney,
with 20W on your GM70's you are not driving the valves very hard. My own GM70 SET monoblocs produce around 35W but this valve can be driven a lot harder to produce 50W. By-the-way, the copper anode GM70's are far nicer a sound than the cheaper carbon anode ones. The difference can be clearly heard if played through the Edingdale speakers.

I suppose the only thing is for you to arrange to take your amp over to one the AOS members houses and hook it up to the speakers. Assuming one those guys is willing? Send me a email with the nearest AOS member to you and I'll make contact to see if we can arrange a demo for you.

I generally run my Edingdales at home with a 300b pair 5W SET monoblocs. This is a simply wonderful combination that a couple members now use with there Edingdales.

seoirse2002
20-12-2012, 10:58
Floorstanding Speakers preferable
no less than 90dB please.
up to £1k

Ear primary drive?..

Stony
22-12-2012, 09:32
Ear primary drive?..

Does anybody else own a pair except you in this country :lol: ?
I found them very rare ....

seoirse2002
22-12-2012, 14:59
Does anybody else own a pair except you in this country :lol: ?
I found them very rare ....

Yes,but probably not too many forum members...They were mostly imported to the US...info can be found on them though in a search on google.
Bit over your budget though, I think:cool: