PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canada

Dardemm
14-12-2012, 15:31
Hello to the members of theartofsound.net.

My name is David McCallum. I am a sound editor, Hi-Fi enthusiast and part time Hi-Fi writer living in Toronto, Canada.

My system is a combination 7.1 home theatre and stereo Hi-Fi set up.

I use ATC SCM 40 loudspeakers with two amplifiers (Bryston 4Bsst2 and an Allnic T2000 integrated amplifier). The home theatre center speaker is also ATC, and the surrounds are a combination of Energy and Axiom (two Canadian speaker manufacturers).

One the analogue side I'm currently using an Aesthetix preamp and Tom Evans Groove +SRX phono amp. The turntable is a restored Garrard 401 on a custom plinth from Russ Collinson at Layers of Beauty in the U.K. The tonearm is an SME312s and the cartridges are a Shelter 501mkII, Dynavector DVxx2 and a Koetsu Urushi with Signature Platinum upgrade.

Other sources include a Bryston BDP2 and BDA2 combination, along with a Sony PS3 and fibre television.

I've been a Hi-Fi enthusiast for about 25 years, and have been writing on Hi-Fi for the Canadian magazine (now webzine) called The Inner Ear Magazine for 20 of those years.

I'm looking forward to what I will discover in this forum.

Regards,

David

The Grand Wazoo
15-12-2012, 00:50
Hi David,
I'd like to extend a very warm AoS welcome to you.
That's an interesting system you own - lots of UK gear there for someone who lives in Canada!
I own and love 2 pieces of Canadian hi-fi myself - Bent Audio Mu's and Mirage M3si's, both of which, I cherish.
So what music are you currently listening to?

Alex_UK
15-12-2012, 20:36
Hi David, welcome from me too. Lovely city you live in - and some great gear! Would love to see some photos in the Gallery sometime, maybe? Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Barry
15-12-2012, 20:38
Welcome to AoS David.

Nice to have an audio writer join us. What is the address of your webzine?

Always had a high regard for Bryston amplifiers, though never used any myself.

What are your tastes in music?

Welcome again

Regards

trio leo
16-12-2012, 13:27
Welcome to the AoS David,

Lots of like minded people on this friendly forum.

Nice system you have there.

I would imagine it's cold and snowy in Canada at this time.an inch of snow here and the country grinds to a halt, that white stuff frightens us.

I'm sure you will be able to offer advice to many here, I look forward to it.

regards Al

Dardemm
05-01-2013, 22:43
Hello everyone, thank you for the welcome. I've been away with family over the holiday and so I haven't looked at this forum.

I did just post a picture of my Garrard turntable in an idler forum, but I'll post it here too along with a picture of my Koetsu.

Barry asked about my webzine - I write reviews and articles on Hi-Fi for a webzine called The Inner Ear.

<http://www.innerearmag.com/index.shtml>

I've been writing as a hobby for about 20 years. I've also just started contributing to Harry Pearson's new webzine called HPSoundings.com. I had my first piece posted over the holiday, which can be found here:

http://www.hpsoundings.com/2012/12/1428/

While I do write on Hi-Fi, I am a hobbyist first and formost and am dedicated to enjoying music and movies as much as I can.

The Grand Wazoo, you asked what music I'm listening too - my most recent purchases were from HDTracks.com and they were The Band's The Last Waltz and Dusty Springfield's Dusty In Memphis - both albums and artists that I love.

And Al, I owe you an email. One will be coming shortly!

Thanks again for the welcome,

David

Rare Bird
05-01-2013, 23:03
Welcome Dave

vouk
06-01-2013, 06:18
Hi David and welcome to AOS.
I've always been a big fan of Inner Ear, one of the best and most objective audio publications in the market IMO. Great to have you on board!
Lovely system by the way!