PDA

View Full Version : Goldring/Lenco stacked platter options

Rare Bird
14-12-2012, 02:03
Im not a fan of stacking another G/L platter for a number of reasons, anyone tried Acrylic as a secondary platter?

DiveDeepDog
01-01-2013, 11:00
I've tried 20mm acrylic on a Lenco (and 401), it provided some insulation against idler/motor/bearing noise at first.

After I'd serviced the components it became less useful.
I'd recommend getting a well sorted deck (I'm sure you have already) then try.

Does your Walker deck have a glass platter, try that too;-)

DSJR
02-01-2013, 20:27
The stock Lenco bearing won't take much extra weight methinks. The sleeves aren't always a supportive fit (I've seen many wobbly ones) and the thrust arrangement seems to be longer lasting than it should.

You know Andr'e, the standard L75 mat is really good on these - think rubber-ringmat - and the multi-ribbed L78 mat is excellent. It's my honest opinion that with Lenco's, you really don't need to pay tens and tens of pounds on fancy bling to make 'em go properly, although many seem to want to so they can boast how wonderful it all is ;)

Rare Bird
02-01-2013, 20:45
Don't worry Dave i don't think i'll be bothering with the Lenco project afterall. Dont have the time, intrest or strength for it. Hi-Fi has become should i say boring for me these days..

The plan is/was sticking with the Walker deck but since im the luckiest person in the world where Hi-Fi is concerned, the motor has decided to run backwards on start up :steam: I'll swap out the capacitors, if it's not that (which i doubt) it's another deck for the skip :rolleyes:

Mark: No it's not a Glass platter

DSJR
02-01-2013, 22:28
Don't you DARE skip that Walker! I'm sure there's someone here only too willing to take it from you :)

Rare Bird
02-01-2013, 22:43
Ok Captain i'll try not to loose my rag with it..

sq225917
03-01-2013, 14:02
Andre, what's the psu on the walker, it should be a simple fix

Rare Bird
03-01-2013, 14:22
There's no PSU (although i was looking for an old flutterbuster for it) just the usual few polyester caps & a resistor, ive ordered new replacements, if it's not a cap prob it maybe a motor issue! However my patience is thin & will more than likley move on to summert else if it's not cured within a week..

DSJR
03-01-2013, 15:21
On Rega's of old, the resistor used to go open circuit (tell-tale being a fine line of split paint around the circumference). I have no idea what phasing circuit the Walker uses, but I doubt it's the motor.

Andr'e, PLEASE may I very politely suggest that if the deck isn't fixed with new bits, put it in your stash-store and allow some of us to do some digging for you regarding possible fixes? I know what you're like (and I've been like this on occasion as you probably know ;)) and all it takes is to put it to one side for now and return to it later.

Trouble is, all these old decks need attention of one sort or another and even new ones aren't immune to faults from new..... You'd have loved the Zero 100 as I received it, pivots glued up etc etc. Not sure you'd love it though once fettled, but I'm persevering and enjoying the journey :lol:

Thing Fish
20-02-2013, 07:59
I ordered my new stacked platter spindle a few days ago...:eyebrows:

Things are coming together slowly but surely...:)

Rare Bird
20-02-2013, 10:51
I decided not to bother Dave. I'm planning restoring a 'GL75' all original complete with 'G800' cartridge. Lifes too short to be bothering about Hi-Fi anymore.

Thing Fish
20-02-2013, 13:16
Andre, the arm I sent you (posted 1st class today) has a Goldring cartridge on it. I don't think it's a g800 though. Don't know it's condition either as I never used the arm.

I do remember checking the v blocks and I'm pretty sure they are shot.

Rare Bird
20-02-2013, 14:35
Brilliant Dave, much appreciated. Don't worry about the 'V' blocks i'll be replacing them & re wiring the arm.. Ive got a couple Goldring 'G800's & a Shure 'M75ED Type 2' the latter may be a better sounding cart i'll have to try both, but i'd prefer to keep it all 'G75'/'G75 Arm' & 'G800' as per the original format :)

As long as it sounds as dull as dishwater in cuggly 60's type of way that's all im bothered about :D