PDA

View Full Version : sub forums

Stratmangler
12-12-2012, 23:28
Why all the various sub-forums?
I find myself less inclined to look at any of the posts, or participate for that matter.

Just my opinion, your viewpoint may vary....

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2012, 23:50
Hi Chris, I don't disagree with you as I have found a whole load of new forums recently after my various absences.

The thing is though is that AoS is growing all the time, there are new members which add to the already expanding number of posts by the established members on here...

There is an old saying, "stand still & get left behind". Nothing stays the same, it can't in reality :rolleyes:

I guess it's just the same as all the English people kicking up a stink about building on the green belt, unfortunately these things often have to be done, even if you don't happen to agree with it yourself ;)

Stratmangler
13-12-2012, 00:18
Hi Mark

One thing I've learned in almost 51 years of being around is that change is inevitable and unstoppable.
Everything changes and nothing stays the same. It's a fact of life.

With regard to the various subdivisions in some of the forum sections I see a reflection of something in everyday life too, and that is that people frequently dwell too much on the differences between us, instead of celebrating what is common to us all.

A turntable is a turntable, irrespective of the drive method, and most everything that is important about setting up a turntable is common to direct drive, idler drive and belt drive.
Yes, I acknowledge that there are subtle differences in optimising setup of the various TT types, but at the end of the day you've got a piece of vinyl rotating and a diamond being dragged around in a linear groove.
And to subdivide a forum because of a drive method does nothing but dilute the sense of commonality and community.

Instead of dwelling on the differences we should be celebrating what we have in common.

Reid Malenfant
13-12-2012, 00:33
Instead of dwelling on the differences we should be celebrating what we have in common.
We all have at least two things in common I reckon ;)

We all love music, I wouldn't want to live without it personally :nono:

We are all human, or that might be 'only human'...

While I can see & appreciate precisely what you are saying about the devisiveness, we still have members on here that spin both vinyl & CDs. So what is a drive system in comparison?

I agree, we should indeed celebrate what we do have in common :)

All the best Chris.

Audio Al
13-12-2012, 07:36
Its swings and roundabouts

If you are a Technics user you may only be interested in Techy comments / posts and can go direct to that sub forum , eliminating the need to trawl through all other posts

Same for the new idler forum

I like to go direct , leaves more time to listen to moosic :)

Wakefield Turntables
13-12-2012, 08:57
That's what the new posts button is for, you don't have to check all the different forums :doh:

jollyfix
13-12-2012, 12:51
these days i never visit sub forums etc, just new posts

Marco
13-12-2012, 13:07
Indeed, which negates the criticism of some elsewhere for needing to 'seek out' the content of the sub-forums.

Simply click on 'New Posts', and that's precisely what you'll see, no matter where they've been posted on the site. Then read those posts which are of interest and, if you want, ignore the rest - simples! :)

Marco.

Barry
13-12-2012, 16:02
Indeed, which negates the criticism of some elsewhere for needing to 'seek out' the content of the sub-forums.

Simply click on 'New Posts', and that's precisely what you'll see, no matter where they've been posted. Then read those posts which are of interest and, if you want, ignore the rest - simples! :)

Marco.

Do it every time!

Marco
13-12-2012, 16:07
Nice one, Barry. Btw, did you go back to Aldi for that wine? :)

{Edit: just read that you have!}

Marco.

MartinT
13-12-2012, 16:33

Best post of the month, Chris, and one with which I completely agree.

It's been said elsewhere, but 'New Posts' negates the need for navigating around new sub-forums if that's the way you prefer to browse.

Rare Bird
15-12-2012, 13:49
The Techy TT especially need a sub forum because their was too many of the subject plastered on the Analogue Art section, so many it was begining to look like a Techy fanboy forum! By having it's own fora i don't ever have to clap eyes on the subjects :lol:

Stratmangler
15-12-2012, 22:27
The Techy TT especially need a sub forum because their was too many of the subject plastered on the Analogue Art section, so many it was begining to look like a Techy fanboy forum! By having it's own fora i don't ever have to clap eyes on the subjects :lol:

But, but, it is a Techie fanboy forum :o

Marco
16-12-2012, 00:14
Lol......... No it fooking isn't!

Marco.

Rare Bird
16-12-2012, 00:38
:lolsign: