PDA

View Full Version : Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III

Stratmangler
12-12-2012, 20:35
Not long since returned from the Post Office with one of these

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/u/sumiko_blue_special_1_.jpg

Fitting one of these is not for the faint hearted, as there's no stylus guard, and all of its bits are just hanging out in space.
One careless move and it's goodnight Vienna....

Mount the cartridge in the arm and it's on with setting up the usual parameters.
Alignment was an absolute breeze - there is one major benefit of a nude design, and that is that the cantilever and stylus assembly is out in the open, and consequently it's very easy to sight up against a protractor.

VTF set to 2g, and anti skate set up using the blank section on side 1 of "The Producer's Cut", and we're nearly there.
A quick glance at the arm and VTA looks to be about right, and we're off.

And from cold this cartridge has hit the spot, and is playing sweet music as I type.
The first album to hand happened to be my Simply Vinyl copy of John Martyn's "Solid Air", and I have been rapt throughout - it's a great album to start with, and I've not heard so much detail drawn out of the groove before, nor presented in quite such a coherent manner.
It ain't cuddly, it ain't bright, it's tonally neutral and it makes a beautiful noise.

As a cartridge I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone, with the proviso that a steady hand and cool nerves are prerequisites for any potential purchasers.
Installation is not for the faint hearted :)

Frankyc2003
12-12-2012, 20:39
Actually i just got one second hand just this Saturday!
Using a detachable head shell is very helpful in that case... as you can mount the cartridge upside down...

Not had time to listen to it yet...

But it is mounted now safely on the jelco 750!

:cool:

Marco
12-12-2012, 20:42
Glad the Sumiko's hitting the spot, Chris. High-output little chap, isn't it? :)

Can't see your Squeezebox getting too much of a look in now.... ;)

Marco.

DSJR
12-12-2012, 20:46
It's lively, a bit raw, but what the heck :lol: I'd love to own and use one, but I can guarantee it wouldn't last half an hour in my hands (and I'm supposed to be an expert in these things - cough - ) :rolleyes: I've said before that when Dave or I ever sold one, we kept a backup just in case..............

keiths
12-12-2012, 21:22
I had one (not the evo 3) some years ago.

It survived installation, but not a late-night LP session after getting in from the pub one night. I don't know to this day what actually happened - one second there was a cantilever there, the next one there wasn't :doh: :steam: :( :rolleyes: :o

Stratmangler
13-12-2012, 00:31
Glad the Sumiko's hitting the spot, Chris. High-output little chap, isn't it? :)

Can't see your Squeezebox getting too much of a look in now.... ;)

Marco.

It hasn't tonight ;)
Tomorrow night it might not either (after son's footie practise).

Friday night neither are likely to get much of a look in, as I'm likely to be brandishing a Jazz Bass while son is playing guitar, and Dr. Rhythm keeps time :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
13-12-2012, 00:35
I had one (not the evo 3) some years ago.

It survived installation, but not a late-night LP session after getting in from the pub one night. I don't know to this day what actually happened - one second there was a cantilever there, the next one there wasn't :doh: :steam: :( :rolleyes: :o

That might have been one almighty piss up, not that you'd remember.
Had a few too many Friday nights like that myself :eyebrows:

That's shit when you can't even remember destroying something - you have my sympathy, for what its worth.

Stratmangler
13-12-2012, 00:47
Over the course of the evening the Evo III has gained developed sonically - things have fleshed out considerably.

Now spinning Deep Purple's "Who Do We Think We Are", and the irrepressible drive and attack is just astonishing, and quite breathtaking.

Batty
13-12-2012, 05:35
I borrowed one with a SS ruby cantilever, nice.

DSJR
13-12-2012, 08:14
I'm told the Blackbird is great too, obviously at a higher price..

Has anyone here tried the safer ;) Blue Point standard model in current guise? I had the first one (in a nasty t-4P mount) and, even with the body packed tightly to the bracket, there was a distict hf rise. not unpleasant, but not natural either...

hifi_dave
13-12-2012, 11:16
All the Sumiko cartridges are good to excellent and very good value.

They have been going for years now and are sadly undervalued and forgotten. I suppose that is a problem with long established products which are often ignored by the mags because there is nothing new to talk about.

Dominic Harper
13-12-2012, 11:35
I had a Pearwood here for re tip and it was a stunning cart. I will have the top of the range Santos here soon to dem. Looking forward to how much better it could be over the Pearwood!