PDA

View Full Version : Hello from West Suffolk

Stony
12-12-2012, 14:27
Hello to everybody !!!

I am Polish and I live in Bury St Edmunds and own some NAD and Chorus equipment.
Now I am looking for good and cheap speakers (like CASTLE HOWARD) to set them with a self made GM70 based valves amp. Hope to find something soon.

I like all good music from Dead Can Dance to Bjork and from Bach to Gino Vannelli but except jazz :scratch: and hiphop :steam: .

Barry
15-12-2012, 20:07
Welcome to AoS Stef.

We have several DIY valve enthusiasts here. Could you give us a little more detail concerning the GM70 valve design you have?

Also what is your music source? (we're a nosey bunch here! :eyebrows:)

Welcome again

Regards

Alex_UK
15-12-2012, 20:34
Hi Stef, and welcome from the East end - though I spend a fair bit of time in BSE. Hang around here long enough and you'll be a jazz lover in no time! ;) Enjoy the forum. :)

Stony
18-12-2012, 13:24
Welcome to AoS Stef.

Could you give us a little more detail concerning the GM70 valve design you have?

Also what is your music source? (we're a nosey bunch here! :eyebrows:)

My amplifier is under construction still - it needs just final adjustment I belevie.
Now I am looking for better speakers because I need them to do it.
It is based on chokes, transformers made to order by Ogonowski www.ogonowski.eu.
The amp was designed in cooperation with my friend :pub: .
My music source is NAD but I think it will be next step to replace it.

DSJR
18-12-2012, 13:27
Welcome from another "eastender!" :)

Castle Howard's, certainly the "2's," need a large room to breathe if the mid bass to lower mid isn't to overpower everything. Good luck....

Stony
18-12-2012, 14:39
Welcome from another "eastender!" :)

Castle Howard's, certainly the "2's," need a large room to breathe if the mid bass to lower mid isn't to overpower everything. Good luck....

Hello hello,

How big room Do you mean ? 20m2 or 40m2 or more .....

Haselsh1
18-12-2012, 15:32
Welcome that man...!

I used to have Castle Harlech I's and fine speakers they were too. Such fabulous workman like quality in the cabinets. It was such a shame to sell them but they didn't work with low powered valves.

Stony
18-12-2012, 18:11
Welcome that man...!

I used to have Castle Harlech .... they didn't work with low powered valves.

ups, I was told that they are 91dB :doh:
I checked again and it seems they are 89dB.:( :rolleyes:

Tnx for that Haselsh1

Anyway one day I will buy them for other set :lol:

DSJR
18-12-2012, 22:07
Harlechs were much better balanced for typical UK rooms. We did get good sounds from Howard 2's in a 15' by 30' room, the speakers a few feet from the back wall and around 8' apart. In our smallish dem room (15' by 11' approx), they sounded horrible...

Stony
20-12-2012, 09:34
Hi Stef, and welcome from the East end - though I spend a fair bit of time in BSE. Hang around here long enough and you'll be a jazz lover in no time! ;) Enjoy the forum. :)

Who knows ...:scratch:
Just had a look over BSE Apex events - almost every second show is a jazz band :lol: