PDA

View Full Version : Music and emotions

Audio Al
12-12-2012, 05:13
Music and emotions

Around 10 years ago I had a in depth conversation with a long term friend about music in general

During the conversation my friend Ray said he gets very emotional when listening to some of his favorite music

Well I laughed my socks off :lol:

However recently its started happening to me :doh::mental:

Set the scene , Music on , TV off , Heating on , Favorite drink in hand , TT playing my No 1 all time favorite female artist at a audio level not to loud not to low , While appreciating the musical composition and superb vocal quality , It happened , I became slightly emotional

Has this happened to anyone else ?

Or am I becoming soft in my old age :lol::D

brian2957
12-12-2012, 06:15
Nah , never happens to us West of Scotland tough guys :rolleyes:. Not when there's someone in the same room anyway ;)

Marco
12-12-2012, 08:24
Nah, we only greet when there are nae Mars bars left tae put intae the deep-fat frier! :D

Marco.

Sonority
12-12-2012, 08:24
Music (hearing) & smell are very intense triggers, easily setting off memories and emotions.
Whether or not you decide to let those emotions run is down to you?

During intensive chemo treatment I was told to bring in my favourite music to make the time go faster.
I refused - point blank. Much to the bewilderment of the nurses.
Why would I want to think about sitting in this flippin chair having that rubbish pumped into me every time I heard DSOTM afterwards? I would never, ever want to hear it again?
That they understood.

Having been to the Dead Can Dance gig a month or so back and experienced The Host Of Seraphim live I would not under estimate the power of music over emotions. I'm not saying just what that piece of music was used for, but it can wreak havoc with me if done well.

Just my 2c worth.

Sandro
12-12-2012, 09:03
This morning I was listening to Darrell Scott's "The Day Before Thanksgiving" and I got very emotional.

But you know, for me it's easier, I'm a passionate Italian... ;) :D

Rare Bird
12-12-2012, 09:12
I have two tracks on certain albums that get me all emotionally, i can't get to the bottom of it but o do i blubber.

Marco
12-12-2012, 09:32
Is that when you're secretly listening to your Celine Dion collection? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
12-12-2012, 09:49
:D

hifinutt
12-12-2012, 10:52
Music (hearing) & smell are very intense triggers, easily setting off memories and emotions.
Whether or not you decide to let those emotions run is down to you?

During intensive chemo treatment I was told to bring in my favourite music to make the time go faster.
I refused - point blank. Much to the bewilderment of the nurses.
Why would I want to think about sitting in this flippin chair having that rubbish pumped into me every time I heard DSOTM afterwards? I would never, ever want to hear it again?
That they understood.

Having been to the Dead Can Dance gig a month or so back and experienced The Host Of Seraphim live I would not under estimate the power of music over emotions. I'm not saying just what that piece of music was used for, but it can wreak havoc with me if done well.

Just my 2c worth.

good point , i can see why you would not want to associate your beautiful music with this inpleasant experience !!

jollyfix
12-12-2012, 10:55
my father ( avatar pic) passed away this year, he was a well known and respected musician. He played in many bands, and session studio work etc. I know he had a huge part to play in my love for music, but since his passing i now find it to emotional ( for now ) to listen to any Buddy Rich, Papa Joe Jones, Baby Dodds and the like.

Firebottle
12-12-2012, 12:31
Music and emotions ..
Or am I becoming soft in my old age :lol::D

No way, when the artist is putting there all into the performance it can certainly reach into your soul, I have a few favourite tracks this happens with.
:cool: Alan

Thing Fish
12-12-2012, 16:17
I sometimes get emotional when I think what I paid for some of my records...:wah:

Rare Bird
12-12-2012, 18:10
I sometimes get emotional when I think what I paid for some of my records...:wah:

:lolsign: i hear yer, i used to pay stoopid money for rare vinyl years ago, not so foolish these days however parting with £45 for a new double album has well & truly broke my heart this weekend..Ive bypassed emotion bit moved straight to the depression department.. :D

synsei
12-12-2012, 20:47
There are tracks and albums that remind me of both high and low points in my life, and if I am in the right mood they can be powerful medicine.