PDA

View Full Version : Restored TD-124 Rig!

Ammonite Audio
11-12-2012, 19:17
My TD-124 has just re-entered service after too long a break, but that long hiatus has allowed me to restore the thing to the highest degree possible (excepting cosmetics), using the best new parts available. So, it has benefited from:

New Swissonor Non-Magnetic Ferrous Platter
New Swissonor Top Platter (the old one has a slight warp)
Schopper Main Bearing (not new, but mint)
New Idler Wheel
Martin Bastin Variable PSU (enables the eddy brake to be removed)
Keystrobe LED Strobe Conversion
Jim Campbell solid CNC 'Ortofon' Style Conical Plinth

Forgive me for not posting a photo just yet, as I have to tidy up some wires that need to be rejigged to accommodate the Keystrobe circuitry inside the plinth; also the plinth does need to be sanded and resprayed to remove a few dings that are my doing.

So, having refitted the Audio Note Arm3 (II) and a ganz-neu Benz Wood SL that I bought before jetting off to Afghanistan, the TD-124 is now playing tunes again, via the (also ganz-neu) Ortofon ST-80SE SUT. It is sounding utterly, utterly sublime and is now as quiet as an idler can possibly be. Sinatra's "Live at the Sands" is playing as I type and there is such a lovely feeling of stability, calm and atmosphere. The Martin Bastin PSU was a bit of a punt on a hunch that the eddy brake does nothing for stability nor micro-dynamics and that hunch seems to have been borne out.

After all the effort of polishing pulleys and tweaking idlers, I am very chuffed at how this old thing has turned out. I have learnt a great deal about what is good and not so good about this venerable turntable's design, which I am happy to share with anyone who has the time to listen!

And, although I can't compare the Ortofon ST-80SE SUT with my old Bob's Devices SUT, I am very happy with what I'm hearing, so thank you Marco for pointing me towards a really good deal on the Ortofon.

David (MCRU) has sent me some TQ Black Phono cables that will be tried out shortly - will they be better than the Mark Grant G2000HD?

John
11-12-2012, 19:22
Looking forward to the photos Hugo
Sounds like a lot of work went into it

Barry
11-12-2012, 19:25
That's very interesting Hugo. I would imagine the Bastin supply provides a precise 50Hz frequency source, so avoiding the permitted frequency variation of the UK mains.

Can we see some pictures?

Ammonite Audio
11-12-2012, 19:36
That's very interesting Hugo. I would imagine the Bastin supply provides a precise 50Hz frequency source, so avoiding the permitted frequency variation of the UK mains.

Can we see some pictures?

Pictures in due course! The Martin Bastin PSU has two controls to adjust output voltage and the quartz-locked frequency either side of 50Hz. I don't know what degree of frequency adjustment is available, but it's certainly enough to get the platter running either too slow or too fast without the eddy brake fitted. It is possible to turn down the voltage from the max 240v to the point when the motor is clearly unhappy, so some tweakery by ear is needed with some really good piano music to find out what is the best setting.

The PSU is the same as the one for Garrards, I believe.

Wakefield Turntables
11-12-2012, 20:19
Hugo,

You will not be dissapointed with the ST80SE I have one and now wish I'd purchased something similar years ago!

Marco
11-12-2012, 21:37
Hi Hugo,

Glad that your Thorens project has worked out so well for you - sounds interesting, so can't wait to see some nice pics! :)

And, although I can't compare the Ortofon ST-80SE SUT with my old Bob's Devices SUT, I am very happy with what I'm hearing, so thank you Marco for pointing me towards a really good deal on the Ortofon.

Nice one. It's a very high quality, musical sounding device, and matches all Ortofon cartridges perfectly. You'd struggle to find something better, so enjoy!

David (MCRU) has sent me some TQ Black Phono cables that will be tried out shortly - will they be better than the Mark Grant G2000HD?

The jury's out for me on the TQ stuff. Let's say that I'd be in no hurry to change my G2000HDs for it, but you may love how these cables tailor the sound. It’s best to judge them for yourself with your own ears in your own system. Let us know what you think.

Marco.

Marco
11-12-2012, 21:38
Hugo,

You will not be dissapointed with the ST80SE I have one and now wish I'd purchased something similar years ago!

Did you eventually buy one then from Simon? :)

Marco.

Ammonite Audio
11-12-2012, 21:57
The jury's out for me on the TQ stuff. Let's say that I'd be in no hurry to change my G2000HDs for it, but you may love how these cables tailor the sound. It’s best to judge them for yourself with your own ears in your own system. Let us know what you think.

Marco.

I must say that on first listen to the TQs, I tend to agree, but I must not leap to any instant conclusions.