PDA

View Full Version : I've bought some more Quad!

Ammonite Audio
10-12-2012, 10:19
My interest in trying some relatively vintage Quad electronics has been kindled by a really interesting "A Vintage Quad Thread" thread over at PFM (See http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=129929 ). So, a few days of eBay watching has yielded something of a bargain, in a very tidy set of late series Quad 34 preamp, 306 power amp and an FM4 tuner, all for £380. There's something about these compact Quad units that looks so right, and I hope that the sound can match the looks. I understand that there is not much that is fundamentally wrong with the 34 and 306 that a bit of recapping can't cure, although some people advocate lots of op amp switching. We shall see, of course! The last time I bought something on looks was the beautiful Leben CS600, which was seen off with ridiculous ease by my Lyngdorf TDA2200. If the Quads get close to what the Lyngdorf does, they will be keepers.

tannoyman
10-12-2012, 10:37
My interest in trying some relatively vintage Quad electronics has been kindled by a really interesting "A Vintage Quad Thread" thread over at PFM (See http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=129929 ). So, a few days of eBay watching has yielded something of a bargain, in a very tidy set of late series Quad 34 preamp, 306 power amp and an FM4 tuner, all for £380. There's something about these compact Quad units that looks so right, and I hope that the sound can match the looks. I understand that there is not much that is fundamentally wrong with the 34 and 306 that a bit of recapping can't cure, although some people advocate lots of op amp switching. We shall see, of course! The last time I bought something on looks was the beautiful Leben CS600, which was seen off with ridiculous ease by my Lyngdorf TDA2200. If the Quads get close to what the Lyngdorf does, they will be keepers.

Hi Hugo

I think you will be surprised how good the old Quad kit is. I am just listening as I write to a Quad 33/303 (40 years old) with a Quad 66 CD front end (23 years old) playing through Ferrograph S1 speakers (35 years old) and it really is most enjoyable. The other fact that many people forget is that Quad will still repair almost every peice of equipment they ever made so if you have an issue with it it can be sorted very quickly. For £20 extra you can have same day service plus £48 for the service which is stunning.

Contrast that with my Meridian G08.2 which is being repaired under warranty. It already been away a month and no sign of when I will get it back.

I will leave you to draw your own conclusions

Enjoy your new purchases

David :):cool:

Tea24
10-12-2012, 14:54
I have had Quad from new, Hugo. Very laid back & just gets on with it. I have 66 pre and CD and a 306 & a 606/II.

For me it is the best; untemperamental and plays anything well.

Wakefield Turntables
10-12-2012, 15:29
I adore Quad stuff, must admit I sold my quad stuff but will probably be on the look out nxt year for some Quad II's :eyebrows:

prestonchipfryer
10-12-2012, 17:14
I've just got my Quad 405 back from those lovely people in Huntingdon. It's been converted to a 405-2, and I love it. On the lookout now for a late grey 34 (the one with rca inlets/outlets).

ninedecks
12-12-2012, 14:53
I have a pair of Quad 11's that have been upgraded and fitted with 3 pin power inputs. I power and run them from an upgraded Quad 44 pre. A lovely warm sound.
I occasionally swap them out and run a Quad 405-2 from the 44.
David

DSJR
12-12-2012, 17:34
I'd love to hear how Hugo gets on with the 34/306, as I couldn't back in the days when they were new. I've read update info on both, and these may just sort them out dynamically. What I found with the 34/306 wasn't at all what I heard with the 44 (either version) and 405-2, which seemed to get up and go far more to me...

Pete The Cat
12-12-2012, 20:52
I was using a late grey 34+405-2 before I became lured onto the Exposure path. I still like the Quad sound once in a while though and keep a 33+405 for the hell of it. Fantastic value.

Pete

Ammonite Audio
18-12-2012, 20:30
Aren't they pretty?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/hugocass/Quad%20Stuff/IMGP1111_zps1285ab1b.jpg

DSJR
18-12-2012, 20:32
I could be wrong, but i believe the later ones as these are, offered more modern IC's in them compared to the earlier examples. The tuner is excellent and purely dependant on the transmission quality.

kenworthy100
18-12-2012, 21:42
They look really fine examples and incredible value, i hope you really enjoy them

prestonchipfryer
19-12-2012, 07:03
Aren't they pretty?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/hugocass/Quad%20Stuff/IMGP1111_zps1285ab1b.jpg

Pretty. Nah! Beautiful. :eyebrows:

Ammonite Audio
19-12-2012, 10:23
In the photo they are just sitting on my very nice early 1960s "Fyne Ladye" teak sideboard, which might just be where they stay, since they look so good there. Plonk the TD124 alongside and job done!

tannoyman
19-12-2012, 16:13
In the photo they are just sitting on my very nice early 1960s "Fyne Ladye" teak sideboard, which might just be where they stay, since they look so good there. Plonk the TD124 alongside and job done!

Hi Hugo

They do look great. If you ever fancy completing the set the Quad 66 (their 1st cd player) is a lovely bit of kit both in terms of sonics and looks. I have had mine serviced recently by Quad and it sounds really good.

I bought it for my recently acquired vintage system, but in the absence of my main player (Meridian G08.2) which has been away for repair under warranty for nearly 6 weeks, it has been subbing in the big system, and it is certainly not out of its depth imo. It is easy to underestimate the importance of being able to get audio equipment serviced easily and relatively cheaply. I have been very pleased with Quad's service which remains exemplary. So much so that my 33 Pre is going back for a same day makeover on 2nd Jan and no doubt it too will return rejuvenated.

Like you I love Quad kit. People have bad mouthed it for years but the fact that it still fetches good money after all these years gives the testament to its quality.

David :):cool:

Ammonite Audio
19-12-2012, 16:19
Oooh, it's a bit premature to say that I love Quad kit, but I do love the aesthetic and tiny dimensions of these things! I do love my Quad 57s, but sadly they will have to go since I can't accommodate them properly. I'll reserve judgement on the Quad sound until I've actually listened to this lot! I'm prepared to be a bit underwhelmed, but there are a few things that can be done to both 34 and 306 to improve their performance, hopefully without spending silly money (Rob Holt has done the legwork and has given me some good advice). I'm no longer interested in CD players, after a few toes dipped into the music server scene; in fact my Lyngdorf CD1 is surplus to requirements and I really should move it on.

Jonboy
19-12-2012, 17:11
i've not gone that new with Quads stuff yet but have owned a few bits including 57's (stacked) 63's, Quad 11's and still own 33/303 FM3 combo and a Quad engineer built bi-amped 405-2 thingy that sounds much better than it looks.

tannoyman
19-12-2012, 17:14
I'll reserve judgement on the Quad sound until I've actually listened to this lot! I'm prepared to be a bit underwhelmed, but there are a few things that can be done to both 34 and 306 to improve their performance, hopefully without spending silly money (Rob Holt has done the legwork and has given me some good advice). I'm no longer interested in CD players, after a few toes dipped into the music server scene; in fact my Lyngdorf CD1 is surplus to requirements and I really should move it on.[/QUOTE]

Hi Hugo

With careful set up you may be agreeably surprised by their performance. I would leave the Quads exactly as they were made and simply have them serviced. It costs £48 plus parts and VAT and they do not charge for parts that cost less than £1

I have never been able figure why people love the old 57's so. I have never heard them sounding good. I have had the 2905's at home but their limited loudness capability was a problem for me. In every other respect I thought the they were excellent but they simply could not do real dynamics. I also heard the 63's heavily modded in the SME music room with 1000wpc (Krell Master Reference Monoblocks which cost $100,000 in 1974) driving them and they had the same problem. Still everyone to his own. What they did (detail and imagery) they did superbly.

David :)