PDA

View Full Version : i mac to i pad ?

Audio Al
09-12-2012, 20:09
Hi all

I have the above , the i mac has power point excel and word ( purchased from Apple ) can I somehow get these onto my i pad ?

cheers

Beechwoods
09-12-2012, 20:32
Not until Microsoft release Office for iOS, rumoured to be early next year:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/07/microsoft-office-for-ios-and-android-shows-its-face-release-in-early-2013/

Native Mac Apps aren't compatible with iOS / iPad / iPhone unfortunately.

Martinh
09-12-2012, 22:15
Not sure if this covers exactly what you need to do, but I have a free cloud storage program installed on my main computer called Syncplicity. This automatically copies selected files or folders to cloud storage as they are created/edited.

I also have the Syncplicity app on my ipad (and android phone) and can view, download and edit files via that. If you have Apple's Pages program on your ipad, you can work with word docs, I believe. Microsoft are dragging their heels with office for ipad - too late for them, because in the meantime others have caught up and office is no longer needed IMHO.

I think that apple has a built in sync function as well. When you have the pages app, I think you can share docs across devices using iCloud. See the app description for details.

Hope this helps

Bonky
10-12-2012, 15:56
Hi all

I have the above , the i mac has power point excel and word ( purchased from Apple ) can I somehow get these onto my i pad ?

cheers

You can buy Apple's versions (apps) - "Numbers" and " Pages" to open them once you have moved the docs across by using email or ' Evernote' or 'Dropbox' etc.

Richard

Audio Al
10-12-2012, 16:37
Not sure if this covers exactly what you need to do, but I have a free cloud storage program installed on my main computer called Syncplicity. This automatically copies selected files or folders to cloud storage as they are created/edited.

I also have the Syncplicity app on my ipad (and android phone) and can view, download and edit files via that. If you have Apple's Pages program on your ipad, you can work with word docs, I believe. Microsoft are dragging their heels with office for ipad - too late for them, because in the meantime others have caught up and office is no longer needed IMHO.

I think that apple has a built in sync function as well. When you have the pages app, I think you can share docs across devices using iCloud. See the app description for details.

Hope this helps

Hi I just had a look at setting up Icloud and it seems if you stop using i cloud all you data is removed from you computer :eek:

I cant allow this to happen as I am treasurer for a club and have to keep up to date records of EVERYTHING :)

Martinh
10-12-2012, 17:06
Hi I just had a look at setting up Icloud and it seems if you stop using i cloud all you data is removed from you computer :eek:

I cant allow this to happen as I am treasurer for a club and have to keep up to date records of EVERYTHING :)

I'd be very surprised if this was the case :scratch: Maybe it deletes copies from your other devices, but surely never from the main computer or wherever it was created? I'd double check that and make a backup of all your stuff anyway.

If you've got all Apple products, everything should be seamless across devices :)

Audio Al
10-12-2012, 18:11
I'd be very surprised if this was the case :scratch: Maybe it deletes copies from your other devices, but surely never from the main computer or wherever it was created? I'd double check that and make a backup of all your stuff anyway.

If you've got all Apple products, everything should be seamless across devices :)

I was going through the set up and it kept saying if you stop using I cloud all details will be removed fro this computer , I aborted

Martinh
10-12-2012, 19:48
I was going through the set up and it kept saying if you stop using I cloud all details will be removed fro this computer , I aborted

Hmmm... Doesn't sound good. Does that mean details or actual data? :scratch:

Audio Al
10-12-2012, 20:00

data I think

WAD62
11-12-2012, 11:01

...that's their plan, to make you reliant on their 'cloud' storage, then whack up the rental cost. :doh:

And it's not just apple, google, amazon, and microsoft are all up to it, very few of their new phone/tablet devices have any on-board expandable storage...by design!!! :steam:

Audio Al
11-12-2012, 11:09
Since I downloaded dropbox I used my camera and had a message appear

Do you wish to continue using i photo if you chose not to you will have to find alternative software :scratch:

Looks like Apple are becoming very protective :(

worrasf
11-12-2012, 11:22
Hi all

cheers

There are loads of apps that will allow you to open and write Word/Excel/Powerpoint files on your iPad. I've tried a goodly few but settle don Documents to Go http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/

The other way is to use a cloud type sync system and the one I have found the most reliable is SugarSync: www.sugarsync.com With sugarsync I can access all the files I have on my iMac on my iPad and iPhone. Using Documents to Go and Sugarsync means I can sync, author, access and email my iMac documents - highly recommended.

Steve