PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Brighton, Hove actually!

potatoha
08-12-2012, 22:20
I've joined while ago but never managed to say hi :doh: I've been an audiophile for around twenty odd years now and am still at the quest for the perfect music reproduction system. At the moment I've got two systems:

1. Main
Analogue Source: Townshend Elite Rock 2 + Excalibur + Merlin + ATOC9II
Phono Stage: Lehmann Black Cube SE
Digital Source: Meridian 508.20
Pre: VDH Array P-1
Power: EAR509 MK1
Speakers: Stacked Quad ESL57

2. Bedroom
Source: SB Touch + Benchmark DAC1
Amp: AVI Lab Series Integrated / Primare A30.1MKII
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII

I mainly listen to Jazz and Chamber music but I also listen to Rock pretty often. Hence I need two systems for different occasions. :)

Long life R&R,
CH

Reid Malenfant
08-12-2012, 22:28
Hi CH, welcome to AoS :) Now that sure cannot be your proper christian name? :eyebrows: Perhaps you'd be good enough to correct it at least one place on your profile ;)

I wouldn't know how to pronounce that anyway :lol:

Interesting that you say you need two different system for different musical genres, perhaps I'm in a minority, but I find one does the trick :) I do have multiple systems though, but only so I can listen to music in other rooms...

All the best & I hope you enjoy your stay here CH :D

Jonboy
08-12-2012, 22:57
hello CH and welcome, lived in Hove from when I was 10-22 , my brother has a pub there so know it quite well, nice kit you got I loved my stacked 57's when I had them all gone now:wah:

potatoha
09-12-2012, 22:00
Hi CH, welcome to AoS :) Now that sure cannot be your proper christian name? :eyebrows: Perhaps you'd be good enough to correct it at least one place on your profile ;)

I wouldn't know how to pronounce that anyway :lol:

Interesting that you say you need two different system for different musical genres, perhaps I'm in a minority, but I find one does the trick :) I do have multiple systems though, but only so I can listen to music in other rooms...

All the best & I hope you enjoy your stay here CH :D

My friends call me John :) I'm on a mission to have multiple set of systems to match different musical styles and recording quality. What's your secret for do-it-all one system?

potatoha
09-12-2012, 22:07
hello CH and welcome, lived in Hove from when I was 10-22 , my brother has a pub there so know it quite well, nice kit you got I loved my stacked 57's when I had them all gone now:wah:
May I ask which pub? My mate sold his 57's for Tannoy Red 15"s in GRF cabinets a few years back and he's been under post esl blues ever since :mental: I envy his Tannoy's tho.

Barry
10-12-2012, 00:17
Welcome to AoS John.

Stacked '57s ? You are indeed lucky to be able to have room for a stacked pair. I have to make do with a single pair, but I wouldn't change them for anything else.

I'm not sure I agree with you for the need for separate systems depending on the program material. Like you, I have two systems but I don't discriminate what I play on either. A good system should be capable of reproducing all kinds of music.

Welcome again

Regards

potatoha
10-12-2012, 12:45
Welcome to AoS John.

Stacked '57s ? You are indeed lucky to be able to have room for a stacked pair. I have to make do with a single pair, but I woudn't change them for anything else.

I'm not sure I agree with you for the need for separate systems depending on the program material. Like you, I have two systems but I don't discriminate what I play on either. A good system should be capable of reproducing all kinds of music.

Welcome again

Regards
Hi Barry, 57's are in our lounge around a meter away from the back wall. Wife not likey!!! :steam:,which is quite understandable as my new born son started to crawl recently :eek:

It's just that I find certain materials sound better in my sub-system than in my main system. My mate who's got Tannoys agree that some materials sound better in his setup and some materials sound better, much better ;), in my esl setup. If I have to live with one system, I'm more than happy with my main system tho. It's just perfect 9/10! Here's a pic of my main setup a few years ago.

Cheers

Barry
10-12-2012, 18:07
I'm still envious! Do you still use the Quad tuner? And what was the Quad303 used for? There seems to be two (monobloc?) power amplifiers in the rack.

Anyway nice - very nice! :)

potatoha
10-12-2012, 19:31
Quad tuner, FM2, is gone now. FM2 was the best sounding quad tuner IMO. 303 was there to serve temporary summer duty as my 509 monoblocks made too much heat in my lounge during the warmest days.

Barry
10-12-2012, 20:28
Quad tuner, FM2, is gone now. FM2 was the best sounding quad tuner IMO. 303 was there to serve temporary summer duty as my 509 monoblocks made too much heat in my lounge during the warmest days.

Ha ha - know what you mean.

I have both the FM2 and FM3, though I now use the FM4. Never got much use of the FM2 - maybe I ought to hook it up to see how it sounds against the FM4.

Jonboy
11-12-2012, 17:53
May I ask which pub?

The Downsman Top end of Hangleton which is where i lived.

I know what you mean about the esl's over Tannoys as i ran both for a while in two different systems, each do their own thing with different types of music

Marco
11-12-2012, 18:31
Yes, one does bass and the other doesn't! ;)

Marco.

potatoha
13-12-2012, 00:56
Yes, one does bass and the other doesn't! ;)

Marco.
I agree with you Marco, Stacked quad does fantastic bass! ;)

Firebottle
13-12-2012, 16:48
Hi John, love the stacked 57s.

I just said to the wife 'I bet those sound good', the reply?....NO

i.e. forget about a second pair, you're not having them :wah:

:cool: Alan

Jonboy
13-12-2012, 18:52
I agree with you Marco, Stacked quad does fantastic bass! ;)

They certainly do :D