PDA

View Full Version : Can QED Airlock Termination Be Undone

RobbieGong
07-12-2012, 22:58
I want to undo the QED spades on my speaker jumpers as the mouth on them is too narrow to go over the binding post. Before I purchase spades with the wider mouth, does anyone know if the Airlock termination can be undone / uncrimped so I can then have the right ones fitted ?? :scratch:

icehockeyboy
08-12-2012, 12:25
I want to undo the QED spades on my speaker jumpers as the mouth on them is too narrow to go over the binding post. Before I purchase spades with the wider mouth, does anyone know if the Airlock termination can be undone / uncrimped so I can then have the right ones fitted ?? :scratch:

Just chop them off if they don't fit and won't be re using them, can you even reuse them? :scratch:

Mark Grant
08-12-2012, 15:00
Not a chance, once crimped they are on for life, cut them off and buy some more unfortunately.

Consider soldering some spades as there are many available for not much money that you can do yourself or ask to be fitted for you or just have the QED wide crimped spades fitted.

RobbieGong
08-12-2012, 15:37
Not a chance, once crimped they are on for life, cut them off and buy some more unfortunately.

Consider soldering some spades as there are many available for not much money that you can do yourself or ask to be fitted for you or just have the QED wide crimped spades fitted.

Hi Mark, sounds like I'll have to have them cut off. I was looking to get the QED wide spades. Only thing is whoever cuts the old spades off is gonna find stripping back the numerous tiny strands on the QED Silver Spiral jumpers a right PITA :eek: and a very long process indeed - Oh dear !

DSJR
08-12-2012, 16:03
The whole point of the airloc plugs was that they provided a "cold weld" joint that even rivals The Chord Co reckoned was better than "just" soldering.

As above, chop em off since they cannot be re-used.

Stratmangler
08-12-2012, 17:01
Have you not tried widening the spades with a screwdriver with a wider shaft diameter than the spade width?

Worst you can do is damage the spade, and if you're thinking of chopping them off anyway you don't have much to lose.

RobbieGong
08-12-2012, 22:49
Have you not tried widening the spades with a screwdriver with a wider shaft diameter than the spade width?

Worst you can do is damage the spade, and if you're thinking of chopping them off anyway you don't have much to lose.

Yeah, I may well try to widen the mouth somehow, although spades generally are bloody tuf !

brian2957
08-12-2012, 22:53
Try filing them to size Robert . Or if you have a drill try one of the grinding stones from B&Q or the other diy stores. Possibly easier than trying to re-terminate.

RobbieGong
11-12-2012, 12:47
Try filing them to size Robert . Or if you have a drill try one of the grinding stones from B&Q or the other diy stores. Possibly easier than trying to re-terminate.

Managed to prise the gap open more and just bought a round file to get in and file down the narrowest part deep in inside the mouth. They should then go over the binding post with ease :) Just wondering if the filing away of gold plating and exposing of metal will have any adverse sonic effect or am i just being daft / anal ?

brian2957
11-12-2012, 13:14
Sounds like you've nothing to lose mate . As long as you don't damage the gold plating on the flat surface , which is the area that connects to the speaker terminal , should be OK . PM replied to BTW.