PDA

View Full Version : The logic of improving a system

MikeMusic
06-12-2012, 09:42
I'm working my way through my system, starting at the front with CDP, I reckon the Isis is it for me now, and vinyl deck. SUT being slightly premature to the Technics being modded up, but making vast improvements to the sound of the LP12 set up
The odd diversion into mains and interconnects, the Ultimate for mains doing very nicely thank you and one single Yannis cable until I'm sure what I connections I need.
Next is Phono Pre and/or Pre amp then power amp, and who knows perhaps my wonderful Isobariks.
Diversions into supports and room work will likely happen in the middle or at the very end

Sound logical or flawed ?

Some kit needing a sympathetic partner before or after in the chain peaking at me could cause some hold ups or a.n.other

Sonority
06-12-2012, 10:12
If it gets *you* closer to your music who gives a stuff about someone thinking your logic is 'flawed'
A fair few would look at me/my kit/my room and wonder which institution I had escaped from. Those who love music would sit, listen and get it immediately.
If you can reach a point where you are happy to buy more music than worry about your kit you have probably made it.
It should be said though, that getting the room right first will make future changes to kit much easier to appreciate. But getting the room right is a truly massive challenge unless it's *yours* exclusively - learning the fine art of compromise is the way here.

MikeMusic
06-12-2012, 10:24
If it gets *you* closer to your music who gives a stuff about someone thinking your logic is 'flawed'
A fair few would look at me/my kit/my room and wonder which institution I had escaped from. Those who love music would sit, listen and get it immediately.
If you can reach a point where you are happy to buy more music than worry about your kit you have probably made it.
It should be said though, that getting the room right first will make future changes to kit much easier to appreciate. But getting the room right is a truly massive challenge unless it's *yours* exclusively - learning the fine art of compromise is the way here.

Should have said I'm looking for the easiest way to do it. Combination of laziness and efficiency :)
You can't *stop* me buying music ! I listen almost every minute of the day
I'm cutting back my purchases as I have been buying too many that are "ok but not enough". Some albums keep sneaking back to be played again and again

Wakefield Turntables
06-12-2012, 11:15
Where are you using your ortofon sut? It's the same one that I own, I've used a few carts on it and can categorically state that it works best on ortofon carts (funny that innit). If your using it on your linn equipment and getting a good sound then fair enough, but, the 1210 will sound massively improved with suitable ortofon cart and ortofon sut. I had Horace (martin) over to my house the other week and he listened to the same ortofon sut and a ortofon cadenza black, today, he commented on it being the best deck he's heard :eek: on that strength he's looking into getting a dd ;)

MikeMusic
06-12-2012, 11:31
Where are you using your ortofon sut? It's the same one that I own, I've used a few carts on it and can categorically state that it works best on ortofon carts (funny that innit). If your using it on your linn equipment and getting a good sound then fair enough, but, the 1210 will sound massively improved with suitable ortofon cart and ortofon sut. I had Horace (martin) over to my house the other week and he listened to the same ortofon sut and a ortofon cadenza black, today, he commented on it being the best deck he's heard :eek: on that strength he's looking into getting a dd ;)

Lyra Dorian which is in the LP12/Aro so should sound even better on the Ortofon cart I have for the Tech not yet fitted
Why the LP12 as the player ?
Prefer the sound as *was*
I'm Mr.Cautious fitting new bits, seeing problems that may not be there, but from bitter experience definitely are. I want a dedicated *clear* couple of hours. That's a Sunday only where I have many other things to do and often fall asleep in the chair

And the Isis sounds better than either deck .......

Wakefield Turntables
06-12-2012, 12:42
Lyra Dorian which is in the LP12/Aro so should sound even better on the Ortofon cart I have for the Tech not yet fitted
Why the LP12 as the player ?
Prefer the sound as *was*
I'm Mr.Cautious fitting new bits, seeing problems that may not be there, but from bitter experience definitely are. I want a dedicated *clear* couple of hours. That's a Sunday only where I have many other things to do and often fall asleep in the chair

And the Isis sounds better than either deck .......

I don't know which ortofon cart you but be prepared to turn your volumes levels DOWN as the sut will slightly increase your volume but this brings out the detail. You should see an immediate difference with the sut in the 1210. You will need to do a before and after test, I did one for about 20 minutes and then never took the sut it of the setup :mental: good luck and hope you dont see any problems :)

MikeMusic
06-12-2012, 12:51
I don't know which ortofon cart you but be prepared to turn your volumes levels DOWN as the sut will slightly increase your volume but this brings out the detail. You should see an immediate difference with the sut in the 1210. You will need to do a before and after test, I did one for about 20 minutes and then never took the sut it of the setup :mental: good luck and hope you dont see any problems :)
Marco's old SPU
There was a huge jump in quality for the LP12 and no way would I want to take the SUT out. Bit difficult now as I changed the cards to suit the SUT

nat8808
08-12-2012, 22:25
The order of upgrading is a little illogical in a sense (asking the order in which to upgrade is how I understood your first post) because you need everything down stream to be good enough and working well enough together in order to judge the upgrades further up.. yet how do you know how good they work together unless you have a good source at the other end?

I see it in different bubbles of upgrade to sort out so that you get good interactions between things that need good matching like a good amp/speaker combo or arm/cart. That's why I box swap a fair bit.

For me, I leave the stand and cable bit to last (well, with box swapping, that means I've never done it..) as that is both the least exciting gear wise and also, perhaps, more about fine tuning.

MikeMusic
09-12-2012, 11:04
The order of upgrading is a little illogical in a sense (asking the order in which to upgrade is how I understood your first post) because you need everything down stream to be good enough and working well enough together in order to judge the upgrades further up.. yet how do you know how good they work together unless you have a good source at the other end?

I see it in different bubbles of upgrade to sort out so that you get good interactions between things that need good matching like a good amp/speaker combo or arm/cart. That's why I box swap a fair bit.

For me, I leave the stand and cable bit to last (well, with box swapping, that means I've never done it..) as that is both the least exciting gear wise and also, perhaps, more about fine tuning.
Yes. It's the bubbles that cause the interest.
Broadly I'd always start at the front and work my way through
The interdependencies of certain boxes are causing major thoughts