PDA

View Full Version : Speaker cable advice

Yiangos
06-03-2009, 11:34
Hi guys

As you can see,i did not "dissapear".:lolsign: I nedd some advise regarding speaker cables,if anyone can help.Right now i am using VanDenHul "The Revelation" which a hell-of-speaker-cable but i find it a bit on the bright side.
A few years ago,i bought a very cheap US made speaker cable from a company called MAC (acronyms for My Audio Cables).I believe this cable was called "Ultralite" and it's a silver coated copper one.Compared to the VDH,it tames the slight brightness but constricts the soundstage and it's not as "hefty" in the lower mid and bass as the VDH.I was gonna go for some "Purist Audio Design" Venustas but many ppl told me that eventually they loose some liquid (they use liquid as insulation)and need to be returned to the factory at USA for refilling.I really don't wish to go through this every year or so,let alone the cost of sending them to the factory and the cost of refilling,so,if any of you ever listen to the Revelations,what other speaker cable with the exact sonic signature of the revelation minus the brightness should i consider? Mind you,it is not a room problem.The revelations IS a slightly bright cable

greenhomeelectronics
15-03-2009, 20:29
I can send you a pair of our black mambas - http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=589
on a sale or return basis if you like.
PM me if interested, otherwise just ignore me.:)
Dave.

Steve Toy
16-03-2009, 02:43
I can recommend these speaker cables. They have seen off my old Chord Epic Twin between my valve amp and Heco speakers. They major on dynamics and coherence. Following Dave's link above, I came upon a review comparing them favourably to Chord Odyssey. Epic Twin is the next one up in the Chord range above Odyssey and usually retails for £40/m plus termination.

At the Scalford Hall Hi-fi show, different speaker cables were tried but we settled on the Black Mambas of mine because they were the best.

Ali Tait
16-03-2009, 09:04
Seconded.I find the Mamba a nice cable.Smooth and even frequency response and good detail.Not forward in any way though.

Si74
17-03-2009, 01:23
At less ludicrous prices than PAD,I'd suggest Cerious Tech or Harmonic Tech cables if you are using powerful solid state. If valves, any old bit of thin copper will do.
The former cables were fabulous with a powerful pass labs but killed a pair of sets stone dead.
If your mad to spend lots of money, then a pair of HMS Gran Finales are way the best speaker cables you'll ever hear and I wish I'd kept mine:-(

Yiangos
17-03-2009, 09:54
Thank you all for your reply/advise :)

Dave,thanks for your offer but i believe i have found the "cure" regarding speaker cables.
One day though,i am going to call you and purchase a pair of those cables and even if i am not fully satisfied with them,i'll find a place for them in my HT system.
Si74,thanks for the info.Cerious Tech, rings a bell but i am not sure where i read about them.Harmonic Technologies cables.....hmmmmm after all the reviews i've read,i do not believe they are my cup of tea.The three high-end brands i am interested in (2 actually since PADs are out due to leaking lol) is Legenburg and most probably a Japanese brand called "Harmonix" , the makers of Combak brand.
Anyways,about the "cure" now.There is a certain person here who is going to fall on the floor and start laughing but my system now plays wonderfully after i treat the cds i played on with a Bedini clarifier.Yes ppl,the difference is like night and day and take it from someone who admits he can't hear any difference between stock and upmarket power cables.This is the reason i am not in a hurry to get new speaker cables. Slowly slowly i discover new things.Little changes make dramatic improvements ! For instance,i was complaining that my phono stage (EAR 324) didn't have enough "body".Well,i replaced
the MAC Palladium balanced ic between phono stage and pre with a VDH MC-Silver and now the the music has much better body etc. Mind you all,and take this as an advise, everything i say regarding some esoteric cables,unless you have an ultra revealing system or just want to have the best,you can get 85-90% and sometimes even more of that performance with some more down-to-earth cables such as the Black Mambas Dave recommented.

Si74
20-03-2009, 21:59
No laughing here! I hardly ever used my cd player until I purchased a Nespa pro.
The Harmonix are nice cables but are typical japanese sound, the Cerious are also filled with some kind of liquid, so possibly scratch them, although I had no problems with mine.
Very, very neutral cables, although I sometimes had they feeling they 'sat' on the dynamics a shade and usually made me want to play the system a bit louder - maybe no bad thing:-)

Haselsh1
21-03-2009, 15:33
No laughing anywhere were tweaks are concerned. I always polish my CD's with a good cleaner when they are bought new as the difference between clean and uncleaned is quite amazing. It's really important not to use furniture polish though. This leaves a coating on the disc that is no better than the coating they have when new. If you want to see this coating on a new CD, breathe heavily on it and mist it. This will show up a pattern on the disc that is probably some kind of release agent like that used on vinyl. Whereas on vinyl it is beneficial as a lubricant, on CD it is not.