PDA

View Full Version : Headshell mass - please explain

muffinman
06-03-2009, 08:06
Could someone please explain the importance of getting this right and what could happen if it's wrong.

Marco
06-03-2009, 15:36
Hi Gareth,

Just listen to a DL-103 on a lightweight headshell and all will be revealed! Only very low compliance cartridges are badly affected. Fortunately (for ease of use) most cartridges made these days are medium to high compliance, so the headshells on most arms are adequate :)

Marco.

muffinman
06-03-2009, 15:58
So in effect it can end up being a suck it and see thing?
If it is that's hunky dory. I'm having a few meh moments with my new cart and i'm covering all bases before i give it the heave-ho
any way
cheers fella

bong
07-03-2009, 02:06
i think the headshell mass is just part of the whole cartridge/tonearm matching discussion ... to get the right effective tonearm mass (which includes the headshell mass) to match the compliance of your cart. there's an excel spreadsheet floating around in cyberspace somewhere which helps with calculating whether your setup ends up in the desirable resonance frequency, if you've got the right numbers for your gear available.

however, it's all subjective as usual, and end of the day, your ears tell the best story. :)

Marco
07-03-2009, 10:13
This site contains a lot of useful info:

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html

:)

Marco.

DSJR
07-03-2009, 10:54
I reckon it goes even deeper than that.

According to numerous HiFi Choice tests in the eighties, detachable headshell type arms can have significant resonances in the lower mid, due to the joint between arm tube and shell. making the shell heavier seems to tone this bit down, or make it less significant with mc type cartridges.

As Marco says, using a higher compliance pickup that doesn't feed so much energy into the arm in the first place, these "problems" don't really exist.

It's also been said (by Linn to me once) that a cheaper detachable head arm like the old LVV actually performs better with a lighter, flexible shell and leaving the rubber washer in place, as the energy is better split up over the frequency band and less is directly transmitted into the bearings (and arm board). Of course, well made examples like the Technics original and the lovely Jelco 750 (I'd love one of those) probably don't need such coddling.....

symon
07-03-2009, 13:51
This site contains a lot of useful info:

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html

:)

Marco.

:youtheman: Amazing. That is just the sort of thing I need to read!!

bong
07-03-2009, 13:57
he's not the analogue boy for nothing ... :D