PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Great White North

Fretless
04-12-2012, 18:04
Hi all,
After lurking here for awhile I decided it's time to introduce myself. I'm a professional musician(bassist)here in Montreal married to a professional musician(cellist). I've been into audio since my college days,starting with vinyl played on a Quad33/303/ThorensTT/B&W DM10(?)system. Like most people I jumped on the CD bandwagen but thankfully I kept all my vinyls.
Now I'm seriously back into vinyl. My system now sports two TTs- a heavily modded Rega RP3(Audiomods Classic arm,Groovetracer subplatter and acrylic platter,TT PSU,Michael Lim double pulley w/Rega white belts,Dynavector 10X5)going through a Graham Slee Era Gold V phono and a hybrid Rega P2/P3 mono TT using mostly Michael Lim parts ,Ortofon Black mono cart and a Yaqin tube phono.
I just upgraded my speakers from Harbeth P3ESRs to a set of rosewood Harbeth Monitor 30.1 which sound incredible.
Amplification is a Rega Brio-R which will hopefully be soon changed for a Leben C300XS.
I like listening to all styles of music with the exception of opera....

Ashmore
04-12-2012, 18:09
I like listening to all styles of music with the exception of opera....

Me too. (and gangsta rap).

Plenty or Harbeth fans in these parts.

Welcome

The Grand Wazoo
04-12-2012, 19:34
Hi Peter,
Thanks for a great introduction.
That sounds like an interesting system you have - I'd think quite a few member might be interested in the details of your modified turntables. Good on you for keeping the faith through the dark ages of vinyl! I'm like you - and I spent those years buying the records that the CD people dumped!
So do you play bass in an orchestral setting?
Cheers

Fretless
04-12-2012, 19:56
Gangsta rap isn't really music,is it?

Fretless
04-12-2012, 20:00
Hi Peter,

So do you play bass in an orchestral setting?
Cheers

My wife does, I play electric and acoustic bass in the very active studio and television scene here in Montreal.

Berni217
07-12-2012, 21:49
Hi Peter,
Hope you are enjoying the Harbeth 30.1. I have the M30 and I am very happy with them.
Welcome.
B.

Alex_UK
07-12-2012, 23:11
Welcome from me too. The Monitor 30.1's are rather special - as are all Harbeths. Never heard a Leben - not that common over here - but that is a beautiful looking amp - just make sure it sounds better than the little Brio-R - as you'll know, they are a bit of a gem and a giant killer to boot. I'll bet it isn't totally outclassed in the sonic stakes - though on looks the CS-300X definitely takes the honours!

Hope you enjoy the forum, good to see you here. :)

Marco
07-12-2012, 23:19
Hi Peter,

Welcome to AOS! :)

My system now sports two TTs- a heavily modded Rega RP3(Audiomods Classic arm,Groovetracer subplatter and acrylic platter,TT PSU,Michael Lim double pulley w/Rega white belts,Dynavector 10X5)going through a Graham Slee Era Gold V phono and a hybrid Rega P2/P3 mono TT using mostly Michael Lim parts ,Ortofon Black mono cart and a Yaqin tube phono.
I just upgraded my speakers from Harbeth P3ESRs to a set of rosewood Harbeth Monitor 30.1 which sound incredible.

Nice system. We need some pics for our Gallery, so let's see some loving close-ups, especially of those gorgeous Monitor 30.1s! ;)

Marco.