PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored Cartridge Alignment Protractor

RobbieGong
30-11-2012, 14:52
Has anyone experience of one of these or similar ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analogue-Studio-Mirrored-Cartridge-Alignment-Protractor-/290807557346?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b57b2ce2#ht_3246wt_966

Are the two points as for Stevenson protractor ? I'm aslo assuming the mirror works well for checking the stylus / cart is parrallel with the record ?

rusty bearing
30-11-2012, 15:07
I've just got meself one and it works fine although using a light source to help see the stylus point I found the reflection a bit distracting. However with a little patience its spot on....

The null points are nearest to the Baerwald format of 66 and 120.89
:)

Also got one of their small round levelmubob, at 4.00 seemed reasonable. I was surprised what a difference it made but then perhaps the eyes aren't what they once were

RobbieGong
30-11-2012, 15:16
Cheers Mike, Baerwald null points would probably answer why the images I've seen of this protractor tend to show it being used with a Rega arm. Jap deck / arm design leans towards Stevenson I believe. (I have Jap deck / arm)

prestonchipfryer
30-11-2012, 15:27
I used to have the Avid SME protractor, which was mirrored. Could never get on with it as I found the reflection distracting. Mind you my near sight is bloody awful! :)

hifi_dave
30-11-2012, 17:20
Have to agree. I have a couple dating back to the late 70's and rarely use them because I find the white card (or plastic) types are easier/clearer to use. Sort of useful to view azimuth though.

RobbieGong
30-11-2012, 18:05
Have to agree. I have a couple dating back to the late 70's and rarely use them because I find the white card (or plastic) types are easier/clearer to use. Sort of useful to view azimuth though.

I've always used the printed protractors on VE and found them great so may well just stick with my Stevenson copy. My eyes are good so I'll trust them as best I can when checking azimuth and keep my money in my pocket :)

hifi_dave
30-11-2012, 18:37
That's a god plan.

The card type are effective and you can use a small mirror or old record to check the azimuth.

the engine
30-11-2012, 20:27
That's a god plan.

The card type are effective and you can use a small mirror or old record to check the azimuth.
Agreed. borrowed a mirror type a while back. And I'm glad I didn't pay hard earned cash instead.
I use the shiny run off section of an LP to check azimuth and it works a treat.
The mirror gauge was no where near as easy as a card gauge for alignment.....to me anyway.

nat8808
30-11-2012, 21:05
I think they are for checking the cart is parallel to the mirror, yes.

They should also help with paralax error too as you make sure you view it so the reflected marks line up with the real marks - then you're definately looking head on.

Barry
01-12-2012, 01:53
Most, if not all current European pickup arms have a geometry according to Baerwald. The Japanese tend to 'do their own thing' when it comes to geometry - though in many cases Stevenson's geometry is closest.

Early (late '60s and early '70s) arms from the UK followed Stevenson's geometry: the Decca's and SME's.

If you are at all bothered, enter your arm's geometry (effective length, overhang and offset angle) into vinylengine's calculator to see the difference. It won't be much.

These days, it seems (wisely) that most arm designers are choosing Baerwald's geometry.