PDA

View Full Version : Dvorak

julesd68
30-11-2012, 13:25
Apart from the New World Symphony and the Violin Concerto, I really don't know Dvorak at all ...

I was listening to Classic FM yesterday in the car and for a change from the New World, they played the second movement of Symphony 7 - I loved it!

Can anyone recommend any other Dvorak goodies that I don't know? :)

tannoyman
30-11-2012, 15:06
Apart from the New World Symphony and the Violin Concerto, I really don't know Dvorak at all ...

I was listening to Classic FM yesterday in the car and for a change from the New World, they played the second movement of Symphony 7 - I loved it!

Can anyone recommend any other Dvorak goodies that I don't know? :)

Hi Jules

You are absolutely right, the music of Dvorak is superb. When he is at his best as in the New World Symphony there is a sponteneity about the music. It's almost a though it flowed straight from his pen onto the manuscript paper without any need for amendment.

Try the Romance for Violin and Orchestra, The Violin Concerto, and the 2 superb sets of Slavonic Dances. Also the Cello Concerto is magnificent.

That should be enough to be going on with;)

Kind regards

David :):)

julesd68
30-11-2012, 20:28
Thanks for the recommendations David :)

What do you think of his other symphonies?

There is a very highly rated vinyl box set by Kertesz that has tempted me, but don't want to buy it if I'm only likely to listen to a couple of them ...

Cheers.

Plato
01-12-2012, 07:39
Cello Concerto - a must.
P

John
01-12-2012, 08:51
Agree about the Cello concerto just brillant

jandl100
01-12-2012, 10:48
symphonies 7 & 8 - very different from each other, and from the 9th. all superb

piano quintet is a masterpiece.

if you like churchy choral music, the requiem and stabat mater are great if a bit too long

the op96 "american" string quartet is fab, too

julesd68
01-12-2012, 19:10
Thanx chaps - I think my first purchase will be the Cello Concerto with Tortelier ... :)

tannoyman
01-12-2012, 19:58
Thanks for the recommendations David :)

What do you think of his other symphonies?

There is a very highly rated vinyl box set by Kertesz that has tempted me, but don't want to buy it if I'm only likely to listen to a couple of them ...

Cheers.

Hi Julian

I am afraid that I only know 7,8 & 9 so I cannot help except to say that Kertesz is well know as a great exponent of Dvorak so if its not too expensive it might be worth a punt.

If it is a relatively rare set you can look up the auction hammer prices on www.popsike.com

Sorry I can't be of more help

David :)

sparrow
01-12-2012, 21:13
I have a box set of Dvorak's symphonies..never played it but might give it a try soon

Marco
02-12-2012, 00:02
Play it at 4.30 in the afternoon, on a gloomy rainy day, when there's an 'e' in the month....

Marco.

JJack
02-12-2012, 06:11
The Kertesz set has terrific sound (I have several of the LPs). My favorites are 9, 7, and 2. The Living Stereo 9th with Fritz Reiner is an audiophile favorite.

I like the Szell/Cleveland Slavonic Dances.

The opera Rusalka is similar in flavor, with a famous soprano aria.

The 9th is one of my favorite symphonies, and although it's "from the New World" the best live performance I've ever heard was with the Royal Scottish in Glasgow in 2010.

Andrei
01-01-2013, 20:27
To my ears Dvorak is the most gifted melodist ever. I put his 7th symphony as one of the 3 greatest symphonies outside Beethoven.

If you like Choral Music - or if you do not, for that matter - try his Stabat Mater and his Requiem Mass.

His most famous work is the Cello Concerto - if you can get the Rostropovich / Karajan version on LP (not CD) you will be in for a rare treat.

[Bit of repetition here, but hey I'm a lawyer]