PDA

View Full Version : Bowers & Wilkins ???

Audio Al
28-11-2012, 16:47
I had a look to see if I could contact B&W re my 35 year old DM2A 's

Cant find a phone number or a email address ?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/

Strange :(

The history section http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Discover/Discover/History_of_Bowers_&_Wilkins

You need to click on the different years to see brief details

Maybe thay are to big a company now to deal with these enquirers

TBL
28-11-2012, 16:50
Any reason why you just didn't go to the Contact us section? :doh:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/contact_us/contact.html

Audio Al
28-11-2012, 16:53
:doh::doh::doh:

Oops, bit of a homer moment! :mental:

Thanks.

Will fire off an email and see what happens. :)

nat8808
28-11-2012, 16:59
"we no longer service those models" is probably the reply..

Meridian used to be brilliant. More recently, the helpful people changed roles or moved on and you get more of a flat refusal to help at all from a 'service agent' (telephone operator).

Audio Al
28-11-2012, 17:06
Email sent

Now to see what reply I get :)

Jonboy
28-11-2012, 18:02
what are you after doing or changing Al ?

Audio Al
28-11-2012, 18:09
what are you after doing or changing Al ?

See if I can find out any history using the serial numbers
Rebuild the crossovers
Ask if the chipboard is covered with wood veneer or plastic as I am going to work some changes on the outer cases
Etc
Etc

spendorman
28-11-2012, 18:33
See if I can find out any history using the serial numbers
Rebuild the crossovers
Ask if the chipboard is covered with wood veneer or plastic as I am going to work some changes on the outer cases
Etc
Etc

A lot of that information should be available on this forum!

I have in fact in recent years supplied B&W with crossover diagrams of their earlier speakers. They were most appreciative and have put them in their data base.

DM2/ DM2a cabinets are real veneer, in fact quite thick, so can stand a good sanding down.

It is my view, and others may disagree, that the crossovers are more or less best left as they are. The inductors are of good quality, so are the capacitors, and they are not reversible electrolytics, so should be fine.

It is worth checking for loose/ corroded connectors, and possible applying a very small amount of contact cleaner / lubricant to the HF1300 level selector switch.

Audio Al
29-11-2012, 19:41
Day 1 no reply to the email :)

StanleyB
29-11-2012, 19:53
The people in B&W who would know the answers are probably now retired. The people who would be able to answer questions on current products are in China. So basically you are stuffed.

Audio Al
30-11-2012, 09:14
I received the following email :)

" Hi Allen,

Thank you for your email enquiry regarding the vintage B&W DM2A speakers.

I regret to inform you that B&W no longer offer a repair service to these speakers as a consequence of their age and spares no longer being available, however you could try Wembley loudspeakers who handle drive unit repairs and service checks:

Wembley Loudspeakers
Unit A4,
Askew Crescent Workshops,
Askew Crescent,
London
W12 9DP

Tel: 0208 7434567
http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com

With respect to cabinet refinishing, this would be handled by a furniture restorer who would be prepared to carry out the work required, feel free to select from the phone-book or internet searches.

I have attached original sales literature of the day in Pdf format, I trust this will be of use to you.

If there is anything else feel free to ask, I'll be happy to assist.

With kind regards

Stephen Courtney-Wheatley
Senior Product Support "

Nice to get a reply :)

nat8808
30-11-2012, 15:05
Hehe - it's quite sweet of you to ask them.

Need to think of B&W as being an office full of customer service people handling sales enquiries and the odd warantee return/repair, lots of sales reps, production managers, logistics managers etc. There will be a few people off somewhere else doing some R&D and the cabinets made around the world via other companies.

There might be some old timers still left in the company somewhere who might like to help but there's no hope in hell of getting through the wall of customer service agents..

Audio Al
30-11-2012, 15:09
So basically you are stuffed.

O er Mrs , Just in time for Christmas :D