PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 69: 27:11:12 - Roger Waters - Amused To Death (1992)

Bazil
27-11-2012, 09:34
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2723/amusedv.jpg

First off, this is my favorite album of all time , I didn't want to put it up initially because I would obviously want everyone to like it :) but of course that is not the way of the world:(
So Roger Waters, the guy gets a bit of bad press for trying to kill off Pink Floyd ( who I also love ,of course), whether he is a bad guy I don't know , what I do know is he can write a tune, all his solo stuff and I include The Final Cut (Pink Floyd) are all in my top 20. He can make a spoken line melodic.
Amused to Death is a concept album (as all his albums are) about materialistic pleasures and media influences on the human race.
Backing and additional vocals that were first used to great effect on DSOTM are supplied by Katie Kissoon and Doreen Chanter, but no Madeline Bell , this time P.P. Arnold and Rita Coolridge.
Jeff Beck and Andy Fairweather Low on guitars, plus a duet with Don Henley.

More here :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amused_to_Death

AMD, an album that has so many stories , catchy melodies, brilliant cynical lyrics, it grows and grows.
If I could only own one album this is it, I never tire of it.
Those of you who have it and love it, enjoy again, those who have it and don't like it please try again and those who don't know it you are maybe in for a treat :D

Spotify link - http://open.spotify.com/album/1KyqQ5Gu3hzyrP0uP9WuDx

Bazil
27-11-2012, 09:36
Had the poll all ready and didn't tick the box :doh:
I'll PM it to Alex

Audioman
27-11-2012, 09:43
Opportunity to give my rarely played vinyl copy a spin. This title is sort after and expensive on vinyl. For anyone contemplating buying beware of the bootleg 180g copies which apparently sound mono. I heard a while back that Doug Sax was remastering the Roger Waters catalogue on vinyl but so far these haven't surfaced.

Bazil
27-11-2012, 09:46
Yes I don't even own a vinyl copy myself :(

Alex_UK
27-11-2012, 10:08
Poll now added. :)

Bazil
27-11-2012, 12:47
Poll now added. :)

Thanks Alex :D

sparrow
27-11-2012, 15:39
Love this album to bits..will spin it again and vote accordingly

DanJennings
27-11-2012, 16:14
Got to be one of the bleakest albums ever made... I'll dig it put later for a spin

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

John
27-11-2012, 19:04
I enjoy the lyrics and the music is great
Its not a 10 perhaps a 7 for me due to Rogers voice and the talk overs.
Thanks for sharing

Barry
27-11-2012, 19:10
10/10 from me.

In some ways 'Amused to Death' is 'The Final Cut, part II'; through which Waters finally seems to have exorcised his demons (or at least got that almighty 'chip off his shoulder')!

The Grand Wazoo
27-11-2012, 20:11
This is one of those albums that I don't understand why I don't own a copy or know it at all. I really should, given my taste and track record with Floyd & related music.

It's been highly recommended to me by several people who's suggestions have worked for me in the past. I've tried to listen to it on Spotify a few times but got distracted or bored - maybe because of the quality of what's available from that particular source.

Anyway, I'm going to crack this particular nut one way or the other and I've ordered a copy of the CD.
So, we'll see, won't we?!

Tim
27-11-2012, 20:11
Good choice, I have nearly all RW's work but I think Pro's & Cons is my favourite, but I have not played either for an age. I spun this today and will play it again as well as P & C before voting. Good to dust it off actually ;)

Bazil
27-11-2012, 20:28
Chris the starting point with RW is The Final Cut, if you like that then Pro's and Cons, Radio Kaos and AMD are a wonderful musical treat. I'm not dismissing Final Cut, but lots of people find it hard work because its very un-Floyd like which it is of course, being presented to the band as a finished piece by RW.

The Grand Wazoo
27-11-2012, 20:37
It's OK Barry, I've always owned The Final Cut, Pro's & Cons and Radio Kaos - each one bought on its original day of release - that's what I meant about my 'track record' with Floyd & related music!
It's just this one - why have I never bought it?

Bazil
27-11-2012, 20:41
It's OK Barry, I've always owned The Final Cut, Pro's & Cons and Radio Kaos - each one bought on its original day of release - that's what I meant about my 'track record' with Floyd & related music!

:eek: I cannot believe it, boy oh boy are you in for a treat.
Given that you like the others of course :)

Audioman
27-11-2012, 20:48

To be honest I don't remember it getting much publicity in 1992. I discovered it (on vinyl) by chance while browsing in HMV Coventry. So an impulse buy when I was grabbing any good vinyl (especialy PF related) release on sight with the then impending doom for the format. There was also a gold CD using Sony 24bit mapping system which is probably also fetching a fair amount of cash now.

Paul.

Bazil
27-11-2012, 20:55
To be honest I don't remember it getting much publicity in 1992. I discovered it (on vinyl) by chance while browsing in HMV Coventry. So an impulse buy when I was grabbing any good vinyl (especialy PF related) release on sight with the then impending doom for the format. There was also a gold CD using Sony 24bit mapping system which is probably also fetching a fair amount of cash now.

Paul.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROGER-WATERS-PINK-FLOYD-VERY-RARE-AMUSED-TO-DEATH-SEALED-CD-/130809438068?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item1e74d99f74

Ashmore
27-11-2012, 21:41
Well I've just given it a spotify play (sounded rather good quality).

Intense, intellegent stuff. Better than quite a lot of later PF in my view. Not my normal thing but well deserving of a few more plays to pick out all the themes.

Tempted to mark it down because I spilled my beer on my laptop but I guess it's not really Roger's fault.

Score based on one listen: 7

Bazil
28-11-2012, 18:57
Not my normal thing but well deserving of a few more plays to pick out all the themes.

Tempted to mark it down because I spilled my beer on my laptop but I guess it's not really Roger's fault.

Score based on one listen: 7

Taking those two points into account that is a deffo. 10/10 in a couple of weeks :D

DanJennings
28-11-2012, 19:02
Yup, played this on the way to work this morning, still love it.

Bitter, Nasty, Bleak, Miserable, Cynical, all of those things and more in a beautifully recorded album.

Jeff Beck's guitar playing is perfect, 9/10 from me, only knocked off a point for the sometimes gratuitous use of backing singers.

Favourite tracks for me are some of the last tracks on the album: Watching TV, 3 Wishes, It's a Miracle.

Bazil
28-11-2012, 19:14
Yup, played this on the way to work this morning, still love it.

Bitter, Nasty, Bleak, Miserable, Cynical, all of those things and more in a beautifully recorded album.

Jeff Beck's guitar playing is perfect, 9/10 from me, only knocked off a point for the sometimes gratuitous use of backing singers.

Favourite tracks for me are some of the last tracks on the album: Watching TV, 3 Wishes, It's a Miracle.

Yes agree, a great finale.

Tim
28-11-2012, 21:03
Well I definitely do prefer Pros and Cons, in fact I played it twice yesterday so thanks for making me dust it off ;)
So 7/10 from me as there are some tracks I have never really liked and got reminded of those (Perfect Sense and What God Wants), but the rest of the album I do enjoy. You can keep Radio Kaos too.

As an aside I have never much cared for The Final Cut either, I found it hard to like as I always sided (still do) with Dave Gilmour so I have a very jaundiced view of what for me has always been a RW album. I would consider myself to be a die hard Floyd fan so Roger has always pissed me off a bit, but his talent is unquestionable and he can't half put on a good show, it's just his attitude I struggle with but he does seem to have mellowed (a bit) of late. His latest Wall is astonishingly good and must rank amongst the best rock shows of all time.

AlfaGTV
29-11-2012, 14:04
There was also a gold CD using Sony 24bit mapping system which is probably also fetching a fair amount of cash now.

Paul.

Actually, this is the issue in my posession! I seriously dont know if it sounds any better than the standard release though, have never compared...

I like the album very much, but like all RW records you need to have some time and be in the correct mood to fully enjoy them!
But, there are excerpts you may like, "It's a Miracle", "Three wishes" and perhaps "What God want's Pt I"

I really dig the QSound effects on this one and the recording quality is excellent. Another thing i really dig, is the fact that if you keep it on repeat with a good CD/File-player it will loop basically without disturbance!

Regards
/Mike

Alex_UK
30-11-2012, 13:12
Oh dear - I don't seem to have any of RW's solo stuff - though I do have some of Gilmour's - not really a conscious choice, so off to Amazon... I'll come back when I've listened to the CD version I think - but I guess I'm wondering how I don't already have this, too!

Bazil
30-11-2012, 13:26
Oh dear - I don't seem to have any of RW's solo stuff - though I do have some of Gilmour's - not really a conscious choice, so off to Amazon... I'll come back when I've listened to the CD version I think - but I guess I'm wondering how I don't already have this, too!

Hope you like it Alex, btw Gilmour's and Waters' solo work are from different galaxy's ;)

The Grand Wazoo
30-11-2012, 17:48
My copy arrived today & I'm playing it now.
After hearing Pro's & Cons and Radio Kaos, it couldn't be by anyone else, could it?

I note he's swapped the green Lamborghini in P&C's for a Ferrari!

Bazil
30-11-2012, 20:39
My copy arrived today & I'm playing it now.
After hearing Pro's & Cons and Radio Kaos, it couldn't be by anyone else, could it?

I note he's swapped the green Lamborghini in P&C's for a Ferrari!

Nope, its Roger alright :D

SquireC
01-12-2012, 12:00
Opportunity to give my rarely played vinyl copy a spin. This title is sort after and expensive on vinyl. For anyone contemplating buying beware of the bootleg 180g copies which apparently sound mono. I heard a while back that Doug Sax was remastering the Roger Waters catalogue on vinyl but so far these haven't surfaced.

I'm trying to track down a Jap pressing but no luck so far. As you say some vinyl is now becoming really expensive.
:rolleyes:

MartinT
01-12-2012, 12:58
It's a good album and has all the characteristic Waters hallmarks, especially the backing vocal style. I like it, but it doesn't have the strong musical hooks of Radio KAOS or the sumptuous widescreen soundstage of Pros and Cons (with its strange Zucarelli Labs effects). I wish the bass was more prominent in the mix because, after all, he's a bass player.

8/10 for me, while Radio KAOS would get an easy 10/10.

DanJennings
01-12-2012, 13:21
I've never really got into Pros And Cons.... maybe I should give it another try. I love Radio KAOS

Bazil
01-12-2012, 19:07
I love all three but AMD is my favorite for the lyrical content as well as the slightly better tunes.

Audioman
04-12-2012, 11:06
I'm trying to track down a Jap pressing but no luck so far. As you say some vinyl is now becoming really expensive.
:rolleyes:

Not aware of any Jap vinyl pressing - only one I know off is Dutch (worldwide) though I remember someone on another forum suggested there was a Spanish one which is where they copied the Bootleg artwork from. The gold CD was pressed in Japan I believe. Scored it 9/10.

Paul.

RichB
04-12-2012, 11:55
A 9 from me, only the fact its not a Floyd album stops me giving full marks. I saw old misery guts live a few years ago and the tracks he played from this album were certainly highlights of the set. Just dont mention the war lol.

Audio Al
04-12-2012, 13:52
:hmm:

Well sorry to say its not for me ( or am I missing something ? )

People talking about being in trenches with dogs barking and growling :scratch:

all a tad confusing composition wise

Maybe I am from a different time warp 70 / 80 / 90 being my prime time

5 out of 10