PDA

View Full Version : Quadraspire eat your heart out

Filterlab
03-03-2009, 12:37
After hearing the DAC on Steve's Quadraspire rack on Sunday, I thought I'd have a bit of a DIY session. I've got loads of spikes and sorbathane domes and things so I've bought this at a whopping £3.25 including postage:

Link to the DIY version of Quadraspire (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170306533687&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007)

I'm a bit restricted for space so this'll be a shelf for the DAC only, fitted with the spikes which will sit on a variety of materials until the best result is obtained. Will let you know the effects. :)

leo
04-03-2009, 00:12
Don't forget to cut the hole in the middle:eyebrows:

Steve Toy
04-03-2009, 01:48
Rob, you need 10mm thickness. Good luck!

Covenant
04-03-2009, 10:40
I was thinking of doing the same thing with a granite chopping board with Sorbathane domes underneath-I have seen them on ebay for a tenner.

Filterlab
04-03-2009, 20:14
Rob, you need 10mm thickness. Good luck!

Not for a DAC that weighs about 2kg. ;)

Filterlab
04-03-2009, 20:14
I was thinking of doing the same thing with a granite chopping board with Sorbathane domes underneath-I have seen them on ebay for a tenner.

Definitely improved my MF A3.5 CD.

Spectral Morn
04-03-2009, 23:37
Hi Rob

Hows about posting some pictures of your new isolation platform and telling us exactly how it improves the sound of what ever you place on it. I for one would be interested. If you have any commercial designs, is it better ? If so, how or if only different, how ? If its a real winner for little money you could post plans of how to go about making one....assuming you want to share this vital information and don't have to kill us if you tell us. :lolsign:

Interestingly the thickness and density of materials can make a difference to how things sound. 10mm may sound better so I think its important not to dismiss this just because a thinner material will do. It may bend slightly and this could effect the way it works either for good or ill.

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

Filterlab
05-03-2009, 14:20
I'll have a full and frank explanation of my findings. The acrylic arrived today and I have drilled the necessaries and tidied the edges. I'd love to say I'd make more of them but I barely have enough time to even come on the forum at the moment, let alone start a side business!

I will share all though. ;)

Ali Tait
05-03-2009, 14:39
Steve what's the weight limit for the Quadrasphire shelves?

Steve Toy
05-03-2009, 16:43
About 30kg but you will get away with a lot more on the plastic spikes into the floor that allow a degree of flexing. Valve amps up to 70kg have been supported on 10mm thick shelves without mishap.

Ali Tait
05-03-2009, 16:47
Cheers Steve.Looking at how cheap 10mm sheet is on the bay it would be worth giving this a go.There's some in black too.Could be nice...

Ali Tait
05-03-2009, 16:49
I wonder if there would be any mileage in glueing two sheets together for each shelf,or perhaps with another material inbetween.

Filterlab
06-03-2009, 15:37
Well, the 5mm works absolute wonders with the Beresford - even when listening through headphones. I'll add to this later, but I will say that for a grand total of £3.50 (sheet + delivery) there's a lot to be said for this acrylic lark. I used spikes that I have knocking about spare, some 6mm nuts and washers, two squash balls sliced in twain and a 12 by 12 slab-o-slate to rest the whole caboodle on.

More to follow. ;)

Oh, the chap I got the acrylic from said that a 10mm sheet approximately 450mm x 300mm would be about £12.

Steve Toy
08-03-2009, 14:23
I don't think there is any mileage in laminating acrylic with any other material. What makes acrylic work so well, I believe, is the way it dissipates energy very quickly across its surface. For some reason the optimal thickness would be around 10mm but further experimentation may contradict this particular hypothesis.

Ali Tait
08-03-2009, 14:49
It was just a thought,prompted by how the many layers in a Slatedeck plinth give a CLD effect.I wondered if the same could be done with acrylic and other materials.

symon
29-03-2009, 21:02
Any chance of any pictures of this stroke of genius?