PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 68: 20.11.12 - Richard Thompson - 'Rumor And Sigh' (1991)

DanJennings
20-11-2012, 19:36
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvN6RA9B6Ox6mFIrPfca1LNQEC46Ds7 SKBUoNdCOaLe-Ts0wKq

spotify:album:5udGf9RoW9Sjda4yD0R7mQ

Probably the most commercial Richard Thompson album, but also probably one of the best. Certainly the most accessible, hence why I chose it. This album was also nominated for a Grammy apparently (not that that counts for much)

For the uninitiated, Richard Thompson was a founder member of folk rock pioneers Fairport Convention, playing guitar and contributing vocals with them throughout their classic period and leaving after the Full House record to pursue a solo career having written probably their most famous song 'Meet On The Ledge' that they still end every concert with to this day. He was also voted in the top 20 guitarists to have ever lived by Rolling Stone magazine.

After a single solo album 'Henry The Human Flag' and releasing a few albums with his wife Linda who he subsequently divorced, he began to really forge a solo career in the early eightees in quite a different style.

There are still folk elements in his riffs, and a folk inflection in his voice, but the style and instrumentation is far more rock orientated, not a morris dancer in sight!

He is a truly excellent songwriter, writing most of his songs from a frequently dark and deviant character's perspective and Richard Thompson's musicianship is quite frankly astonishing, most evident on 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, on which it sounds like there are about 3 guitars playing at the same time.

Couldn't find all the tracks on youtube unfortunately including one of the best tracks 'God Loves A Drunk' so probably best to listen on Spotify or seek out a copy (You can get it on Amazon for £2.97 + P&P)

nw7d4pVKHyo
ziABOSERPXc
ZAaTGyBb_iM
5dReqM8-zOo
5.You Dream Too Much
BBdK1MhU5wY
f_5Ean-VMUo
lHH26jwnDVc
WC6ue3d_t_o
6FH7Kj_V6-c
n4mU9Wh8yRs
CWjm6XdtEb0
12. God Loves A Drunk
13. Psycho Street

The Grand Wazoo
20-11-2012, 20:24
'Bloomers and Thigh' - Now there's an album!
Good choice Dan.
You can get it on Grooveshark too (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Rumor+And+Sigh/2091602)

Ashmore
20-11-2012, 20:51
Thanks for introducing me to this one. I'm familiar with quite a bit RT's catalogue but missed this one. Just played it through. 1952 Vincent Black Lightning is a stand out track for me. Never been especially fond of Thompson's voice.

johnB
20-11-2012, 23:34
Now this is a very good album Dan, good choice.....listened to it on loop in the car last week. He is some guitar player ..... There's nothing in his world beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl.

Bazil
21-11-2012, 18:35
The album cover I recognised instantly ,I knew he was in Fairport but that ends my knowledge of RT. So I was expecting folk and was a bit disappointed at first, but soon forgot as I got into the third song, I like his voice and I think he could fill in for Eddie Vedder if he ever left Pearl Jam :D.
Yes a very good album and God loves a Drunk my favorite track, which ironically is a folky number. 9/10

DanJennings
21-11-2012, 18:40
The album cover I recognised instantly ,I knew he was in Fairport but that ends my knowledge of RT. So I was expecting folk and was a bit disappointed at first, but soon forgot as I got into the third song, I like his voice and I think he could fill in for Eddie Vedder if he ever left Pearl Jam :D.
Yes a very good album and God loves a Drunk my favorite track, which ironically is a folky number. 9/10

While we're on a grunge theme, Dinosaur Jr did a cover of I Misunderstood:

wUzPzUKtB9I

Bazil
21-11-2012, 19:04
That is such a great song, both versions, I'll be buying this album (Rumour and Sigh)

Audioman
22-11-2012, 01:08
Excellent Choice Dan. One of Thompson's best though my favourite solo is the follow up Mirror Blue. Excuse to get my vinyl copy out for a spin.

DanJennings
25-11-2012, 16:09
Come on people! ONly 4 votes, and one of them's me!
It's good honest!

Audioman
26-11-2012, 16:10
One of those 4 is a 9/10 from me. Only real let down is the strange spoken word closing track, Psycho Street. From experience it pays to pick popular/well known material to get more than a few votes here.

The Grand Wazoo
26-11-2012, 19:28
7 from me - it would be more, but I have this love/hate thing with Thompson - I love what he does, but I hate his voice.
Black Vincent is sublime.

Bazil
27-11-2012, 20:34
This album really has me hooked, the odd thing is the heralded 1952 Vincent Black lightening doesn't do it for me, there are lots of tracks better -
at the moment :D

MartinT
29-11-2012, 19:42
I have some Richard Thompson, but have never heard this album - he's pretty prolific, after all. Very listenable and I think I like his voice but then sometimes he has an inflection that makes me wince. 7/10.

Alex_UK
30-11-2012, 11:54
7 from me too - sometimes he reminds me of a bad Elvis impersonator or a sober Shane McGowan (:eek) - but the songs, lyrics and musicianship are great.

Clothears
23-02-2013, 11:31
I gave this a 10/10, even allowing for Psycho Street which is an unfortunate addition to what is otherwise a classic album for me. Richard Thompson is my favourite artist so I consider ALL his albums worth listening to. I'm hard pressed to think of any less than good albums, though possibly Front Parlour Ballads is my least favourite.

There are several high quality live albums to be had, Celtschmerz and Richard & Danny Thompson Live in Crawley '93 particularly recommended.

To really appreciate RT you have to see him live, solo or in a band. The man is a genius.

johnwhit
23-02-2013, 11:49
Gets an 8 from me, I really have to be in the mood for this, I must give it a spin for the first time in ages.

John

synsei
23-02-2013, 13:00
First time spin and artist for me. I really like this album it has character. A 9/10 from me... :carrot:

Tim
23-02-2013, 14:07
I'm not really sure what it is with me and RT, I totally respect his talent and admire what he has achieved over the years, I love Teddy's work (son) and I love Linda's work, but I just don't get him and can't listen to him, which bothers me and I often revisit his albums, but I never enjoy them and this has not done much for me either - sorry I can only give it 5/10

Funnily enough I met Linda a few weeks ago at the Transatlantic Sessions gig in London, as Teddy was playing with Jerry Douglas. When I arrived I spoke to the couple next to me saying, "excuse me if I shout out when Teddy Thompson comes on as I'm a huge fan". After I sat down I got a tap on my shoulder from the person directly behind me, who said "I'm his mum, shout as much as you like" and there was Linda Thompson! We had a long chat at half-time too, what a lovely woman and still looking really good :)

I really wish I enjoyed Richard's music as he's hugely talented, but I have a total blind spot for him - 1952 Vincent would have sounded fantastic as an instrumental.

Audio Al
23-02-2013, 17:26
Well I listened all through the first album posted

Did nothing for me

Not very good vocals

Some tracks sounded a bit hill billy :scratch:

So I gave it a 5