PDA

View Full Version : Sibelius 5 on vinyl

julesd68
16-11-2012, 17:38
Can anyone recommend me a vintage Sibelius 5 on lp?

My Penguin Guides tell me that the Bernstein on CBS Classics is the only outstanding recording, but can't find that anywhere ...

tannoyman
16-11-2012, 18:19
Can anyone recommend me a vintage Sibelius 5 on lp?

My Penguin Guides tell me that the Bernstein on CBS Classics is the only outstanding recording, but can't find that anywhere ...

I really like the version by Alexander Gibson and the London Symphony Orchestra on The World of Great Classics (Cat No SPA 122) which was a re-issue from an earlier Decca 2000 series I believe. Magnificent record with the added bonus of a very good Karelia Suite

David :mex:

julesd68
16-11-2012, 20:57
Thanks David - I hadn't even considered the Gibson previously as my trusty Penguin Guide only gave it one star! So having looked into it this evening after your recommendation I see that the Gibson is on the TAS list, so a bit of a split of opinion there!

jandl100
17-11-2012, 07:17
Yep, Gibson is great in Sibelius! -- you need to take the Penguin guide with a big dose of salt. :)

My fave Sib 5 is Sakari on Naxos CD -- but then I don't like the symphony that much (my least fave Sibelius symphony) and he does it a bit differently from anyone else!

On LP, though --- Jarvi on BIS, Collins (in old mono sound) on Decca, Ashkenazy on Decca (fab sq!!), Karajan on DG, Maazel on Decca.

All of those are good. :thumbsup:

tannoyman
17-11-2012, 10:50
Thanks David - I hadn't even considered the Gibson previously as my trusty Penguin Guide only gave it one star! So having looked into it this evening after your recommendation I see that the Gibson is on the TAS list, so a bit of a split of opinion there!

It's a big expansive performance. I've know it for 40 years and am still playing the original copy. Sometime the views of the record pundits seem a bit perverse. Because its on a budget label it should be no trouble to find.

David :):)

julesd68
17-11-2012, 20:25
I'll get the Gibson. I have some of his other Sibelius which is excellent. Sadly the vinyl isn't cheap is chips as it is TAS listed ...

Decca SPA maybe a budget label but contains some real gems IMO. One of my best recorded lp's is Campoli playing Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto - SPA183 - if you love this work like I do I recommend you snap it up!

julesd68
17-11-2012, 20:33
Yep, Gibson is great in Sibelius! -- you need to take the Penguin guide with a big dose of salt. :)

I only collect classical music on vinyl, and only from the pre-digital era. This is why I find the Penguin Guide invaluable. I must say that I have never been dissapointed by their top rated lp's - I love the way that they are rated for sound quality and performance as both are important for me.

My fave Sib 5 is Sakari on Naxos CD -- but then I don't like the symphony that much (my least fave Sibelius symphony)

OMG Jerry how could you prefer 4 or 7 to 5??? The final movement of 5 is for me one of Sib's finest moments.

I had the misfortune to experience 4 at the Proms this year. Berlin Phil were playing and it was still utterly turgid :(

tannoyman
18-11-2012, 19:58
OMG Jerry how could you prefer 4 or 7 to 5??? The final movement of 5 is for me one of Sib's finest moments.

I had the misfortune to experience 4 at the Proms this year. Berlin Phil were playing and it was still utterly turgid :([/QUOTE]

Hi Julian

I totally agree. Sibelius 5 is superb and the final movement is absolutely stunning.

David :);)

jandl100
18-11-2012, 20:01
Sib 5?

- populist crapola! :eyebrows:

4 & 6 are two of the finest symphonies ever written, imo. :thumbsup: 5 is way behind.

IMO YMMV :)

julesd68
18-11-2012, 20:07
Sib 5?

- populist crapola! :eyebrows:

4 & 6 are two of the finest symphonies ever written, imo. :thumbsup: 5 is way behind.

:mental:

:)

julesd68
18-11-2012, 20:08
Bought a copy of the Gibson on ebay last night ...

Also, very pleased as I found a fairly rare copy of Scriabin's last work - "Universe", that have been wanting for a while.

JJack
02-12-2012, 06:34
Bought a copy of the Gibson on ebay last night ...

Also, very pleased as I found a fairly rare copy of Scriabin's last work - "Universe", that have been wanting for a while.

I have the Gibson on a Classic Records reissue, which I bought new in the 1990s. I see that Acoustic Sounds has it for $199 or something crazy like that.

I learned the piece from a cheap Columbia LP of Bernstein, and I have several others too (but the one I listen to the most is the LSO Live with Colin Davis).

FWIW, Glenn Gould called it the most perfect piece of music ever written.