PDA

View Full Version : Living voice auditorium/avatar

Doug
15-11-2012, 19:38
Anybody out there heard or own living voice auditorium/avatar speakers very mixed reviews on the net seen some newish ones going cheap a joke there:lol: somewhere

chelsea
15-11-2012, 19:40
With quality equipment they can sound very good.
Some feel the bass is the weak link.

Ones i've heard seemed fine though.

hifi_dave
15-11-2012, 19:41
Stick to your original plan.

Doug
15-11-2012, 19:49
Your right Dave get to grips with e bay this weekend

chris@panteg
15-11-2012, 20:46
I've had dems of the auditorium mk1 with a Diavolo and the avatar OBXR with a border patrol se 8 watts , they both sounded superb but do need a bit of space around them !

They sound best with SE valve amps IMO .

Lee1976
15-11-2012, 21:20
They have great top and mid but only avrage in the bass department. Not bad bass just not as good as top of mids. Agree they only work on Se valve for me. Very musical.

Tarzan
15-11-2012, 22:19
I've had dems of the auditorium mk1 with a Diavolo and the avatar OBXR with a border patrol se 8 watts , they both sounded superb but do need a bit of space around them !

They sound best with SE valve amps IMO .

x2 as much space as you can give them and can amaze.

Bonky
15-11-2012, 22:40
Hi,

I have them; I like them.

Paul (Scott) recommends good quality amps (naturally) such as the Sugden range (e.g. the A21a) and valve amps.

I find them very smooth, detailed, and controlled.

I find them sensitive to placement. I have them as a default, about a foot away from the wall. The bass can boom somewhat (there is a rear bass port), and for best sound I need them to be at least two feet away (but only when my wife isn't present).

We have a wooden floor suspended on beams. To my ears they sound better when the spikes are on tiles. I tried granite ones but found that 'ordinary' ceramic tiles were better (not what I expected).

They are expensive; not sure where they fit on the cost/benefit graph.

I have them bi-wired.

Let us know how you get on...

BW

Richard/Bonky.

chelsea
15-11-2012, 22:47
You also need lv's toed in so they are crossing in front of you.

Doug
16-11-2012, 20:53
[QUOTE=Bonky;383297]Hi,

Thanks for your input plan A is to sell my thiel floorstanding speakers and buy harbeth hl5s but they seem to get simular reviews as the living voice great midband and treble so seeing these avatars at such agood price i was tempted .The dealer clearly did not want my thiels fair dos and was quite negative about the avatars build quality and he said they were not speakers to impress your friends.IF it was about impressing mates we would all have Bang and olefson or bose systems. So back to plan a with my limited computer skills putting my speakers on e bay

The Black Adder
20-11-2012, 08:36
[QUOTE=Bonky;383297]Hi,

Thanks for your input plan A is to sell my thiel floorstanding speakers and buy harbeth hl5s but they seem to get simular reviews as the living voice great midband and treble so seeing these avatars at such agood price i was tempted .The dealer clearly did not want my thiels fair dos and was quite negative about the avatars build quality and he said they were not speakers to impress your friends.IF it was about impressing mates we would all have Bang and olefson or bose systems. So back to plan a with my limited computer skills putting my speakers on e bay

SHL5's are very nice speakers. I had some with a Radford and it was topps.

My review here:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9961