PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Quad 33 or other cheap 303 suitable pre.

Idlewithnodrive
15-11-2012, 15:08
I've just been reading a few discussions / articles on the merits (or otherwise) of the old Quad 303's and I was inspired to dig out my old one.

What I don't have however is a suitable pre, as I used to use it with a CDP with a good variable output.

So, what I am looking for is a Quad 33 or a pre that would work well with the 303 please.

What have you stored / kicking about unloved ?

Cheers

Monty
15-11-2012, 15:15
Try a passive preamp.

I use a simple Alps blue in a box with the necesarry in and out plugs.

Works superbly well with my Quad 303

Idlewithnodrive
15-11-2012, 15:30
Seems that passives are a real marmite option when it comes to the 303.

Have you tried an active pre with the 303 ? If you have, what were the differences between that and a passive ?

Beechwoods
15-11-2012, 16:26
I've got mine plugged into my Caiman variable outputs at the moment and it sounds great. Just a thought...

Idlewithnodrive
15-11-2012, 16:44
I've got mine plugged into my Caiman variable outputs at the moment and it sounds great. Just a thought...

That would be great with my SBT Nick, but I don't have anything else with a variable out and as I say, passives seem to really divide opinion.

Monty
16-11-2012, 07:11
I found the passive to be cleaner and clearer than the 33, but I only had the 303 serviced and not the 33.
I also have a valve preamp. which gives a bigger soundstage when using the 303, but cost consideribly more than the £35 it cost to make the passive preamp!

Idlewithnodrive
16-11-2012, 08:11
Thanks Monty.

Useful info :)

DSJR
16-11-2012, 13:11
Much as I love a well fettled 33, it really is a bottleneck with modern sources of all types, even if you get the gains and signal/noise/overload margins sorted out.

The high sensitivity and high input impedance of the 303 allows easy use of passive type preamps, as long as interconnects are kept very short and as low in capacitance as you can find (to maintain treble bandwidth as much as possible).

If you really would prefer an active buffer stage (as I do), then have a look out for a 44 preamp, especially a late one with IEC mains and chocolate coloured buttons on a grey painted case. These are really very good and most of the updating is already done - the original 44 has older op-amps and other aspects which require fettling to bring the sonics up to date. I was never a fan of the 34 on rock music (too limp wristed and bland in nature), but apparently this can have some life breathed into it these days.

If you can find or justify a 44, or better again, something like a Croft preamp (the Croft genre loves the 303 sonically), then by changing two resistors in the input feedback loop in the 303, the input can be beneficially reduced in gain for modern preamps to drive it without their volume controls being crushed at the bottom of their range (the 44 and 34 can be internally adjusted to suit the new requirement). Not to be done with a passive preamp though since you'll need the extra gain in the 303 for best results.

Hope this helps. I love the 303 very much for its beguiling charm and greater compatibility with mid period to recent speakers over the much more limited II valve amps.

worrasf
16-11-2012, 13:19
The full NetAudio 33 upgrade transforms the original and a NetAudio 33/303 will (IMHO) stand comparison with many modern units in terms of SQ.

The Achilles heal is the disc adapter board (if you use vinyl) - old boards are readily available - I totally rebuilt one by replacing every component with high quality components at the same time changing the input impedence to match modern cartride requirements - the result is very pleasing.

See http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17482&highlight=disc+adapter for piccies

Steve

DSJR
16-11-2012, 13:23
But Steve, by the time you've farted around and spent shedloads with external power supplies and replacement boards, you could buy a proper preamp with it all done for you ;) and the Net-Audio isn't a Quad preamp any more, in the same way the clever design of the 303 seems diluted when Net-Audio boards are fitted, especially the regulator one, which goes against the original design and is rumoured not to be as reliable under certain circumstances as a result.....

worrasf
16-11-2012, 13:34
But Steve, by the time you've farted around and spent shedloads with external power supplies and replacement boards, you could buy a proper preamp with it all done for you ;) and the Net-Audio isn't a Quad preamp any more, in the same way the clever design of the 303 seems diluted when Net-Audio boards are fitted, especially the regulator one, which goes against the original design and is rumoured not to be as reliable under certain circumstances as a result.....

Now why did I guess you'd be back at me Dave? :ner:
What you say is undeniably true - well some ofit as my 33 has been totally reliable over the last few years - the new NetAudio PSU is also very good.
AND - it all looks lovely and classic - esp if 33/303 in a nice Teak sleeve :cool:

Steve

DSJR
16-11-2012, 23:28
:lol: :respect:

The regulator I was whingeing on about is the 303 one. Anything (almost) can improve the thing in the 33 as supplied :lol:

The "thing" about the 33 is the dinky charming looks and I love it to bits, accepting the limitations of this now electronically ancient design. Obviously, the Net-Audio mods turn it into a new preamp to all intents and purposes and the Dada mods freshen up what's there to a surprising degree (I opted not to go the full "Richard Bryce" route of totally bypassing the tone controls and filters as at the time I needed them).

Monty
17-11-2012, 09:19
I had my Quad 303 serviced by Rob at www.Amplabs.co.uk who also advertises on Ebay as Audio_revival. Complete strip and rebuild by a superb understanding electronics engineer.

Sounds wonderful and reasonable rates!

I too love the visuals of the Quad 33,303 and FM3 and have considered stripping out a 33 and making it into a passive preamp for the esthetics! Has anyone tried this?

Idlewithnodrive
17-11-2012, 12:58
Thanks for your input chaps.

I've picked up a 33 quite cheaply and possibly a passive too, so should soon be in a position to judge which I prefer myself. I'll keep you updated.

dowser
17-11-2012, 18:26
Tony has a 33 for sale on PFM if ur quick - although I think something better is warranted.

Richard

Idlewithnodrive
19-11-2012, 13:48
Hi Richard,

I have manged to source a 33 thanks and also a digital pre so should be able to get a feel for the 303 fairly sharpish.