PDA

View Full Version : What Phono Stage?

Andrei
15-11-2012, 02:04
I am running a Marantz TT15 with a Benz Ace cartridge (the low output Moving Coil variety).

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/user/Andrei_nz/media/MarantzTT2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=14

The phono stage is a Pro-Ject Tube Box II. I don't rate it very highly. I have seen some good reports but they have been in the context of MM cartridges. I am trialing a Graham Slee Reflex C - it is a lot better and I may go for that when I have the cash.

My question is: Are there any other options I should be looking at? Price range is flexible - say about £400 to £800.

TIA

chris@panteg
15-11-2012, 08:38
Puresound P10 new at 595 or 2nd hand for around 400 , Croft RIAA new 500 , Trichord Diablo 2nd hand.for 600 ish , Anatec mc1 for similar .

Try and hear them if you can but all are good .

Wakefield Turntables
15-11-2012, 08:49
Trichord gets a thumbs up from me.

Ammonite Audio
15-11-2012, 10:02
My experience has been with other Benz cartridges, but I would suggest that you try out a step-up transformer (SUT) with your existing phono amp. My old Bob's Devices SUT worked well with the Glider SL which is electrically similar to your Ace. There are plenty of inexpensive SUTs around, eg the Rothwell (http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/moving_coil_step-up_transforme.html) but no doubt others here will have some more SUT recommendations.

trio leo
15-11-2012, 11:18
Hi Andrei,

I haven't tried some of the units mentioned so far, however, I consider the pre-amp I use to be of a high quality especially the Moving Coil stage, but the Albarry MCA 11 I have recently installed is by far superior.

It has brought a more defined image/soundstage, tunefully extended bass and dexterity to the harmonics.
Maybe being battery powered helps, it is also switchable, 25, 50 and 100 Ohms.

IMO at £500 it is an absolute bargain.

I hope you get a chance to hear one before you choose.

regards Al

Magna Audio
15-11-2012, 11:55
I'll have a Puresound P10 for sale shortly. £340 inc postage.

Andrei
16-11-2012, 17:57
Thanks for suggestions guys - I should have mentioned that I am in nuzillind which limits options somewhat. Has anyone tried Graham Slee?

surayne
16-11-2012, 19:02
Have a look at the World Audio website. You can get DIY kits or fully built units and they sound superb, a substantial step up from a Dino in my system. Built-in SUTs are an option too.

ehoove
16-11-2012, 23:16
Wow, you folks across the pond are speaking of brands I never heard of. Are these available in US voltages?
Regards,
Jim
I'm using Musical Suroundings Phonomena w/Battery pack, a Phonomena II, and a totally modified CA 640P at the present time.

chris@panteg
16-11-2012, 23:36
Wow, you folks across the pond are speaking of brands I never heard of. Are these available in US voltages?
Regards,
Jim
I'm using Musical Suroundings Phonomena w/Battery pack, a Phonomena II, and a totally modified CA 640P at the present time.

Well Jim , a good friend of mine has recently took a punt or scored a Conrad Johnson JFET pre , it's 20 years old but has an excellent phono stage , he's delighted with it .

Stratmangler
16-11-2012, 23:46
Thanks for suggestions guys - I should have mentioned that I am in nuzillind which limits options somewhat. Has anyone tried Graham Slee?

Graham Slee stuff is excellent.
I've been running a Gram Amp 2SE for a long time now (it's one of the original "pretty" black project box ones), with the PSU1 powering it.

Other members here have used and liked GSP Audio stuff too.

Slawts
17-11-2012, 21:37
My experience has been with other Benz cartridges, but I would suggest that you try out a step-up transformer (SUT) with your existing phono amp. My old Bob's Devices SUT worked well with the Glider SL which is electrically similar to your Ace. There are plenty of inexpensive SUTs around, eg the Rothwell (http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/moving_coil_step-up_transforme.html) but no doubt others here will have some more SUT recommendations.

+1 Get a SUT and try it with the Project on MM. make sure it's earthed correctly. There's lots of info about correct earthing on this site. :D

Steve

morris_minor
17-11-2012, 22:28
I'm a very satisfied Graham Slee customer. The Reflex M is a great performer IMO and has great depth, detail and dynamics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OneyedK
18-11-2012, 22:08
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/m1vinyl/
This one is on my WTB list. Haven't had the chance to listen to it,
but my experience with the B1 and A3 showed me that the peepz
at MF know how to make a phonostage!

walpurgis
18-11-2012, 22:18

I'm running a Graham Slee V Era Gold with either Art Audio or Osawa SUTs and the results are superb with my ZYX MC cartridges.

cheekyboy
10-12-2012, 09:45

Hi Andrei,

I facilitate the Graham Slee Loaner Program in Australia and it wouldn't be that big a leap to include vinyl lovers from NZ in the program as well. I sent you an email a couple of days ago, but in case you missed that, just get in touch if you're interested and I'll see what we can do about letting you trial some of Graham's products free of charge in your own system.

Cheers,

Keith

fordy
10-12-2012, 13:40
I use the Slee Revelation with various SUTs. It's a neutral stage. Very capable performer and not expensive given the performance. I preferred it to various phono stages from Icon Audio, Consonance, Musical Fidelity and Whest. The only thing that's bettered it comfortably is an LFD MC1.

lewis
10-12-2012, 18:25
I use the Slee Revelation with various SUTs. It's a neutral stage. Very capable performer and not expensive given the performance. I preferred it to various phono stages from Icon Audio, Consonance, Musical Fidelity and Whest. The only thing that's bettered it comfortably is an LFD MC1.

Hi Carl,
Which Icon Audio and Whest models are you referring to?

Andrew.

hal55
14-12-2012, 00:16
Cheekyboy - you have a PM re the loaner program.

Hal55

fordy
14-12-2012, 06:16
Hi Carl,
Which Icon Audio and Whest models are you referring to?

Andrew.

An MM/MC Icon Audio PS1 with the signature valve upgrades, a Whest Two, a Consonance Ref 40 with fancy NOS valves and an MF X-LPV3/X-PSUV3

trio leo
14-12-2012, 20:01
After so many suggestions Andrei, I hope you find something that will bring musical enjoyment, nay, excitement to your system.

regards Al

Andrei
19-02-2013, 23:09
Thanks Alan,
I most certainly did: The ifi iphono. As good as Slee but half the price.