PDA

View Full Version : Marco Dragon alert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audio Al
13-11-2012, 13:41
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAKAMICHI-DRAGON-cassette-deck-with-UNIQUE-PIANO-BLACK-SIDE-CHEEKS-/221151853096?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cassette_Tape_Play ers&hash=item337dad7a28

Its not £5 though ;)

Marco
13-11-2012, 14:13
Hehehe... What it is, though, is GORGEOUS!! :stalks:

Marco.

julesd68
13-11-2012, 14:21
Best looking tape deck I have ever seen.

jollyfix
13-11-2012, 14:54
Looks like one of the ugliest bits of kit i have seen.

Audio Al
13-11-2012, 14:56
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I love it :D:stalks::stalks:

chelsea
13-11-2012, 15:10

Rare Bird
13-11-2012, 15:13
Can't stand toy town Metering

Marco
13-11-2012, 15:15
That's true... All it lacks is shome shexy VU meterage (that glows in the dark)! :exactly:

Marco.

Firebottle
13-11-2012, 15:20
Looks like it's got the wrong dentures fitted :lol:

Agree about the metering :mental:
:cool:

Lodgesound
13-11-2012, 16:07
At this price and if I may say class you add external metering in the form of a software oscilloscope and phase meter along with software BBC PPM's.

You also balance the outputs via a high end Canford or equivalent outboard 1U rackmount balancing I/O box.

If you are feeling really professional you could always buy this metering in hardware but it alone would cost you around £3000 at current prices.

Lovely machine though - it analyses phase I believe in order to optimize the azimuth - I'm not sure whether it actually physically moves the head assembly to achieve the resultant or introduces a VCO-controlled phase delay in the audio chain itself.

The Black Adder
13-11-2012, 17:06
I want a canford PPM... If anyone has one going spare let me know.

Sorry chaps I can't get excited about cassette decks... I think I just had too many bad ones in the 80's. 8 Track... although it's peak was before my understanding there is something very 'Atari' about them. And seeing as that I've worked for Atari then I gets a warm feelin!

The cassettes that have been on the sales forums recently for silly enough money have totally taken me aback too.. Not saying it's bad, just unbelievable to me.

Marco
13-11-2012, 17:14
You need to hear a good Nakamichi, dude, properly set-up with quality NOS chrome or metal tape. It'll rival your reel-to-reel! :trust:

Marco.

The Black Adder
13-11-2012, 20:11
lol.. I'd be scared of using a £75 cassette tape in it matey... lol,

"She loves you, YEAH YEAH YEAH, She Lovoouuuvshuooo yeaahh, sheeeeeoooowwwwnnn... uuurp"

:doh:

Just kiddin... It does look like a yummy bit of kit.

Beechwoods
13-11-2012, 20:30
Lovely machine though - it analyses phase I believe in order to optimize the azimuth - I'm not sure whether it actually physically moves the head assembly to achieve the resultant or introduces a VCO-controlled phase delay in the audio chain itself.

It moves the head mechanically. Very very clever the NAAC system; one channel of the playback head is split into two, so it measures the phase difference between those two 'head elements' on the one track, to work out the azimuth error, and then adjusts until the phase difference is at its minimum.

It does rely on a decent HF signal on the tape, so not as good as doing it by ear for 'nth' generation tapes, but perfect for commercial tapes or 1st / 2nd copies.

I'd love a Dragon just for the looks, the transport button styling is gorgeous, as are the vertical peak meters, but I'm happy with my CR7, and it's manual dial-in playback azimuth (a function which rarely gets used now I have it :rolleyes:)

£750 is a good price for a serviced machine in mint cosmetic condition. I wonder how much it'll pop for.

Lodgesound
14-11-2012, 11:32
Lord Blackadder;

http://www.darkwooddesigns.co.uk/pc2/meters.html

These are software PPM's designed and provided for free non-commercial use by the chap here.

They are excellent - I have tested them against the real things (of which I own several) and they are completely accurate in terms of response & ballistics.

You just need a PC with a soundcard - they are easy to calibrate to your setup.

A modern hardware twin twin PPM will set you back around £2000 so these are honestly a bargain and just as good as the real thing.

The Black Adder
16-11-2012, 08:33
Cheers Stewart... I've seen and used software PPM's before, very good they are too but I would just love an original PPM, for visual purposes mostly. Just love the Canfords but they are nuts in prices.

The Black Adder
16-11-2012, 08:37
I must admit though, this cassette deck does look the DB's... What about parts like pinch rollers, heads, capstan motors etc. Can cassette deck heads be re-lapped? Are they still available?

I ask because it's a rare thing and buying another one for donor parts will be very difficult and £750 for a very nice paper weight isn't ideal.

Beechwoods
16-11-2012, 09:44
B&W do an excellent job of providing UK service for 'classic Nakamichis' - parts will not be a problem; when they serviced my mint CR7 it came back better than new with all subsequent model mods for something in the region of £200. Their alignment and setup is second to none as well. Very much recommended!

Alex_UK
16-11-2012, 10:21
That's a lovely looking deck, the custom cheek pieces really work well too - clearly an owner who has lavished lots of love and attention on it and will be interesting to see how many people go for it... If I had spare cash laying around doing nothing I'd be in there!

The Black Adder
16-11-2012, 10:21
B&W do an excellent job of providing UK service for 'classic Nakamichis' - parts will not be a problem; when they serviced my mint CR7 it came back better than new with all subsequent model mods for something in the region of £200. Their alignment and setup is second to none as well. Very much recommended!

Blimey.. Every day is a school day!... Never knew that. :)

Marco
16-11-2012, 10:48
Oh yes, indeedy, daftee... Are you starting to 'get' what all the fuss is about now? ;)

Marco.

The Black Adder
16-11-2012, 11:16
Oh yes, indeedy, daftee... Are you starting to 'get' what all the fuss is about now? ;)

Marco.

lol... looks at shoes. "Yes Sir" ... lol

The Black Adder
16-11-2012, 11:24
AbWQfgfN_xc

It's got NAAC.... Sounds great..! - What's NAAC. :eek:

But this is waaaaaay cool!

q5O7ssQB4Y8

Beechwoods
16-11-2012, 15:31
User Dandy on here has one of those, the lucky chap!

Lodgesound
16-11-2012, 16:05
I found one of these in a skip not so long ago - all working fine now - 3 heads and 3 motors - even has a motorized flap!!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER/CT-A9X14.jpg

Marco
16-11-2012, 16:19
User Dandy on here has one of those, the lucky chap!

Indeed - I've heard it, too!

Marco.

snapper
16-11-2012, 17:32
I found one of these in a skip not so long ago - all working fine now - 3 heads and 3 motors - even has a motorized flap!!

:stalks:

That looks great, Stewart, in fact so great I'm posting the pic again.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER/CT-A9X14.jpg

Would still prefer a Dragon, though, or a 1000ZXL Limited. Guess I prefer bling and loadsa knobs.

:eyebrows:

:cool: