PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham Analogue.

valves
13-11-2012, 10:05
Hi,

I have a NA Spacedek with Incognito re-wired Rega RB 300 with Techno weight.

Does anyone have a NA Spacearm for sale?

Has anyone tried both arms?

Thanks.

Gromit
13-11-2012, 10:21
I once had a Spacedeck (bought new) on which was a fully OL-modded RB250. After a few months I fitted a NAS Spacearm and to my ears was a significant upgrade. Gone were the clumsy, in-yer-face dynamics of the Rega arm and in its place was an effortless musicality with a greater sense of realism. Increased detail, superior differentiation between small nuances/shifts in timing and dynamics which make up the building blocks of music. For me it was a win-win purchase.

The Spacearm does need quite a lively cartridge though - the Lyra Dorian that I used at the time was a great match. Saying that, I first used a DL103 in the NAS arm and despite many people saying it 'wouldn't work' I stuck with it; Les at Walrus (who I bought the turntable and arms from) was pleasantly shocked at how well it sounded.

Mileend
13-11-2012, 10:26
Hi
I have a NA Mentor arm in good condition if you are interested.
Thanks

valves
13-11-2012, 14:57
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think Iv'e seen a Mentor Tonearm?

Mileend
13-11-2012, 15:36
Some pictures sent !!

hifi_dave
13-11-2012, 16:14
There has been two Mentor arms, the original, large diameter alloy tube jobbie and the later carbon fibre.

DSJR
13-11-2012, 17:50
I once had a Spacedeck (bought new) on which was a fully OL-modded RB250. After a few months I fitted a NAS Spacearm and to my ears was a significant upgrade. Gone were the clumsy, in-yer-face dynamics of the Rega arm and in its place was an effortless musicality with a greater sense of realism. Increased detail, superior differentiation between small nuances/shifts in timing and dynamics which make up the building blocks of music. For me it was a win-win purchase.

It was the OL mods that probably ruined a perfectly good little low cost tonearm IMO, the Spacedeck just reproducing all the added colouration and artificial "excitement" these mods seem to bring (as shown by HFW a year or two back).

As I've said many times here, the RB arms on a NAS deck seem to sing like they do on very few other decks, but I have to say that Toms arms do sound rather lovely on his turntables, the whole playing tunes better than any Linn and giving rhythm too in a natural manner. The only downer is the patchy finish of the earlier NAS arms, although my original Mentor arm was pretty fine in all fairness.

valves
13-11-2012, 18:55
Hi,

Would I be right to think that the Mentor tonearm would be a significant upgrade over my RB 300?

I have been sent pictures of one for sale, I think it is an older alloy tube version, I'll check.

Thanks for the help so far.

DSJR
13-11-2012, 19:28
I don't know about "upgrade," as in internal engineering terms the Rega wins hands down, BUT...... I loved the sound of my Mentor arm and once you've mastered the counterweight alignment to equalise the load on the lateral "shims" which prevent rocking of the unipivot, it's a joy to use..

Mileend
14-11-2012, 11:19
Dave the Mentor was sublime on my 401 with a Decca Super Gold ( and I never had any set up issues !!)
Mervyn

valves
19-11-2012, 23:31
Hi all,

After gaining advice from people in the know, Iv'e decided to give a Nottingham Analogue Mentor tonearm ago on my Spacedek.

The Mentor arm is Silver wired.

My next question is Bearing Oil.

Iv'e seen small bottles of recommend bearing oil, is this the stuff I need?

Thanks.

DSJR
20-11-2012, 08:31
Ask NAS first, since the bottles of oil do seem expensive. The oil Tom gave me for my Mentor was a strange concoction and nowt like any stock oil I've ever seen - it was almost creamy in texture :eyebrows:

Hope you like the arm. Mine was pre silver wiring although Tom offered to take it back for this to be done (I couldn't aford it and the car I had then was a money pit for any spare pennies I had).

hifi_dave
20-11-2012, 10:23
Hi all,

After gaining advice from people in the know, Iv'e decided to give a Nottingham Analogue Mentor tonearm ago on my Spacedek.

The Mentor arm is Silver wired.

My next question is Bearing Oil.

Iv'e seen small bottles of recommend bearing oil, is this the stuff I need?

Thanks.

Are you referring to the old (gas pipe) Mentor arm ?

Buy a bottle of oil from Nottingham Analogue. Don't waste your money on anything else.

DSJR
20-11-2012, 10:34
Gas pipe indeed!!!!!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/TheeDecca1-1.jpg

Wonderful happy vinyl days -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/MentorDecca.jpg