PDA

View Full Version : Problem Streaming Video - Puppy Linux

Mothman
12-11-2012, 21:44
I know there are a few experienced Linux users on here who may be able to assist

I have an oldish thin client computer which I would like to use to stream video via BBC i player and the like, as we are unable to get a freeview TV signal in our kitchen with a portable ariel.

I am a Linux virgin, but I do seem to have managed to get 'Lucid Puppy Linux' running from a USB flash drive into RAM and I have also managed to get wireless internet up and working:). All appears hunky dory until i try to stream any video, as the picture is always slow and jerky:(. I don't think it's an internet connection speed problem as I don't get any buffering and so must assume it's a hardware or software issue. Being a thin client it only has a lowly 800mhz processor and so this could be the problem, anyway the full specs are as follows:-

Neoware Thin C90 thin client
Processor: VIA Eden 800mhz
RAM: 1GB
Drive: 256MB 'Disk on Module' Compact Flash
Operating System: Lucid Puppy Linux 5.2.8' (133MB) running in RAM from USB pendrive
Browser: Firefox
Flash Player: Adobe Flash 11.2

If anyone knows of a work around for this problem I would be pleased to hear

Cheers

Stratmangler
12-11-2012, 21:53
If anyone knows of a work around for this problem I would be pleased to hear

Cheers

Use something man enough for the job :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
12-11-2012, 21:57
This does iPlayer http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
You could of course get an aerial feed fitted ;)

Mothman
13-11-2012, 08:24
You could of course get an aerial feed fitted ;)

Nah, that would be too simple Chris :lol:

I was just trying this as an experiment to see if I can learn the basics of a linux operating system. I had the thin client kicking around doing nothing and so thought I would try to put it to good use, though I fully accept as per your suggestion that there are much better alternatives out there for video streaming :)