PDA

View Full Version : John Zorn

John
27-02-2009, 19:17
I thought I share my thoughts about John Zorn Music Romance Taboo and Exile
Often John Zorn is quite hard to listen to due to the Avante Garde style but first of all John Zorn is a composser and sometimes creates music that in my opinon is stunning. The above album has a number of tracks that I love
[edit] Track listing
"In the Temple of Hadjarim" Classical in leanings
"Sacrifist" A eruption of noise and energy
"Mayim" Modern classical nice mix of violin and double bass yet again quite avante garde in its approach
"Koryojang" Drum based almost hypnotic this really will test how good your system is needs to be played on full range systems to really appreciate it
"Bulls Eye" Another eruption of noise and energy
"Zeraim" Modern classical haunting and beautiful
"Thaalapalassi" Starts atmospheric and has moments of wild energy at times haunting and jarring It's like listening to a Pollack painting at times
"Makkot" Another classical piece with a hungarian feel to it espically the violin
"A Tiki for Blue" Laid back surf music
"The Possessed" Another eruption of energy and noise with some really wild sax playing from John
"Oracle" - has Miho Hatori on vocals a bit mimimal compaired to what gone on before
"Koryojang (End Credits)" More drum hypnotic music

I have a few other John Zorn albums I like but listening to this made me think there is so much more to John Zorn than the avante Garde label people usually think.
I can see Beechy loving this and maybe The Grand Wazoo

Beechwoods
27-02-2009, 19:30
I can see Beechy loving this

;) I'll definitely check some of your suggestions out. He's worked with Bill Frisell who I rate, when they played together in Naked City. and he arranged my favourite Frisell piece, Hard Plains Drifter. Your intro is really useful - I didn't realise that his stuff was so wide-ranging in style...

I've also been intrigued by his association with Mick Harris of Napalm Death, in Painkiller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painkiller_(band)). Definitely the kind of odd stuff I like!

John
27-02-2009, 19:41
Yes his music can be a bit odd and full of energy but it can also be so much more he has compossed a lot of film scores and even modern Chamber music. Other genre he has expermented with include Surf, Death Metal, World Music, Exotica

Tolstoi
07-03-2009, 12:26
I like John Zorn too. He's on my list for a long time and I don't know why I didn't buy an album until now :scratch:

Cheers

Joerg

John
07-03-2009, 12:56
What John Zorn album did you get
Nice kit Joerg The Hawthrones are very nice is it the Solo or Duet

Tolstoi
07-03-2009, 15:30
Hi John,
I think I want to start with Spy vs. Spy and then check the others. A friend of mine had a few Zorn albums and that's where I got to know the music of Zorn.

Yes those Hawthorne coaxials are fine. I only picked the drivers and built the baffles myself. But I'm not quite finished yet.

Cheers

Joerg

John
07-03-2009, 18:12
When you finished with the Hawthrone please add them to the Gallery as would love to see what you created also think about talking about the process of build in the DIY thread I for one would be interested

Tolstoi
07-03-2009, 19:33
Ok John, just give me some time and I'll post something about the different baffles i tried and ... yes, who knows where it will end ? :)

Cheers

Joerg