PDA

View Full Version : Usher CP 6371

icehockeyboy
10-11-2012, 18:45
I would like some info please from owners/former users of these.

My main concern is that according to the owner of the pair I'm interested in, he says they have to be around18 to 24 inches away from he rear wall to be at their best.

Sadly I cannot house anything that requires that sort of placing.

Thoughts please guys!:scratch:

Audio Al
10-11-2012, 19:06
Are they rear ported ?

StanleyB
10-11-2012, 19:20
They say the same of the NS1000M but I couldn't disagree more. So I would say ignore that advise on palcing them so far from the wall. Just try it for yourself and listen to the outcome. You should experiment with moving them closer and further apart until you find the sweet spot.

icehockeyboy
10-11-2012, 19:47
Can't see any mention of where the ports may or may not be!
Stan, they are a million miles away from me, so your good suggestion isn't on.........

chelsea
10-11-2012, 20:13
Can't see there is much you can do.
Either take a punt and hope they work close to the wall or leave them.

How far can you have them from the wall?

John
10-11-2012, 21:02
I would speak to HiFidelity and see what they say on Monday http://hi-fidelityuk.co.uk/contactus.shtml

icehockeyboy
10-11-2012, 22:49
Might take a punt if all goes well.

And they are rear ported.

icehockeyboy
15-11-2012, 08:49
I'm a bit concerned of their physical size being too big for my room, which is approx 19x 13 feet, they stand almost 4 foot tall!
They would be firing across the room btw.

Any further comments boys?

The Grand Wazoo
15-11-2012, 09:24
My speakers are about that size (four & a half feet tall, actually) and well away from the rear walls. My room is roughly the same dimensions as yours (though I bet my ceiling is lower). If you can cope with the impact on the domesticals they will probably sound fine.

icehockeyboy
17-11-2012, 23:27
Well.....I took a punt and they do sound really good, but Jeeeeeeezers, they are big!

Even I think they are actually too big for the room, let alone the wife, however, she has actually said she will give herself time to see if she gets used to them!

My fears of them being too big from an overpowering sound POV is unfounded.

The Grand Wazoo
18-11-2012, 00:26
We need piccies.
Without them, how can we tell your other half that everything looks fine and she should stop worrying?
Never mind yer aestheticals, what does it sound like?

icehockeyboy
18-11-2012, 00:34
They really do sound fabulous!
I'm just wondering if I could actually remove the mega iron plinths they stand on and lose a couple or so inches in height.......?

Oh. Too late for pickies now, I'm sitting on my bed!

Audio Al
18-11-2012, 04:10
Well.....I took a punt and they do sound really good, but Jeeeeeeezers, they are big!

So Craig it was you that outbid me :steam: :D:D:D I assume it was a snipe :)

Let me know it the wife thinks they are too big ;)

icehockeyboy
18-11-2012, 09:29
So Craig it was you that outbid me :steam: :D:D:D I assume it was a snipe :)

Let me know it the wife thinks they are too big ;)

Morning Al

Outbid? They weren't in an auction, are you perhaps meaning the Ushers with the matching centre on e bay? I have to say they were the bargain of the year, but mine were actually bought via another forum. :scratch:

As for the wife thinking they're too big...............she is letting them "bed on" on her! ;)

Audio Al
18-11-2012, 13:08
Morning Al

Outbid? They weren't in an auction, are you perhaps meaning the Ushers with the matching centre on e bay? I have to say they were the bargain of the year, but mine were actually bought via another forum. :scratch:

As for the wife thinking they're too big...............she is letting them "bed on" on her! ;)

Opps ! :doh:

Sorry , I thought they were the set on ebay

Hope you enjoy yours ;)

horace
18-11-2012, 15:07
They really do sound fabulous!
I'm just wondering if I could actually remove the mega iron plinths they stand on and lose a couple or so inches in height.......?

Oh. Too late for pickies now, I'm sitting on my bed!

Hi Craig - glad you are pleased with them!
I do think the plinths are probably essential. I never tried them without, but the sloping design might make for some unsteadiness without the plinths.
You could try drilling holes in a smaller piece of granite (or similar) perhaps.

All the best

Martin

This message was transcribed by cruelly tortured laboratory monkeys and transmitted by abused carrier pigeon.

icehockeyboy
18-11-2012, 17:50
Opps ! :doh:

Sorry , I thought they were the set on ebay

Hope you enjoy yours ;)

No, I saw those, and they went for a stupidly low price, had I not committed to Horace I would have had a punt, but if I make a commitment I stick with it.

Horace, I've removed the cones, so that's dropped the height by an inch!!!!!! :eyebrows:

icehockeyboy
20-11-2012, 09:59
These really are great speakers, certainly the best I've ever had, and superior to the PMC FB1+'s that I had a couple of sets of speakers back.

They are big though, but despite that they don't overpower the room as I expected they would.
So far the wife has been around so they have had to be placed right against the rear wall, where they still sound brilliant, but she flies off for 5 days today, so a bit of experimenting will take place.
If you don't hear from me for a while its because I'm enjoying the sound, or I've pulled my back trying to shift the uber heavy monsters!