PDA

View Full Version : At what point is a Technics no longer a Technics

Audio Al
10-11-2012, 17:12
I own a 1200 MK11 in standard form , the only non original item fitted on it is a AT120e cartridge

I have seen lots of posts regarding upgrading this deck

At what point is it no longer a Technics ?

If you remove the power supply and fit a external alternative make and maybe a SUT
Change the arm and cartridge
Change the mounting board / collar
Change the main bearing
Change the platter
Change the mat
Change the feet
Fit idolaters under the alternative feet

And maybe lots more changes I have not come across yet :scratch:

Is it still a Technics

Not sure what to do as and when I decide to improve my vinyl listening ?

Upgrade everything or buy a higher end TT :scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
10-11-2012, 17:23
Personally, I don't think that, say Martin & Marco's decks could still be reasonably called Technics turntables, but does that really matter?

Alex_UK
10-11-2012, 17:34
For me, if the motor unit and plinth are still original it is still a Technics. But Chris is right - does it really matter? Just enjoy the music. :)

prestonchipfryer
10-11-2012, 17:36
I don't think it matters. Just call it a record player based on a Technics SL12**. :)

Wakefield Turntables
10-11-2012, 17:37
When my deck comes back from Paul's I take lots of photos and show you what can be done to a technics. That should hopefully be next week with a little luck, then you can see a modified 1210 :eyebrows:

John
10-11-2012, 19:07
With regards to your last question I try and hear a lot of different turntables before you make up your mind (includimg a modified 1210). Lots of different paths

Marco
10-11-2012, 21:11
For me, if the motor unit and plinth are still original it is still a Technics.

Yup, not to mention the control electronics! Mine also still has the pitch control attached, and the full top plate, where the words: "Technics SL-1210 MK5G" are written ;)

Basically, on my (heavily modified) Techy, there as many Techy bits as non-Techy ones, so yes, it's still a Techy - but a bloody amazing sounding one (thanks to the mods)!! :exactly:

Marco.

RobbieGong
10-11-2012, 21:23
Totally agree re: the drive system which is it's heartbeat and soul......

Wakefield Turntables
10-11-2012, 22:31
You cant really change the "heart" of the 1210, altough I did contemplate getting a new version made in silver but it would have been too complicated :(

MartinT
10-11-2012, 23:37
It's the motor that gives the Technics its greatness, so it still has the gene that attracted us in the first place. However, as already observed, it doesn't matter what you call it.

Sent from my KFC using Boredom Express

Marco
11-11-2012, 08:04
Sent from my KFC using Boredom Express

That's an interesting phone you've got there, Martin! :D

Marco.

MartinT
11-11-2012, 10:41
Pisstaker :lol:

MartinT
11-11-2012, 11:56
What, a KFC? Me neither.

OneyedK
11-11-2012, 13:40
Is it still a Technics

Define "a higher end TT" :)

Personally, I don't know if a full blown SL-12xx can outperform an SP-10mkII in a great plinth, as I never could compare them side by side.

Is it still a Technics? Doesn't matter, imho...

If you like the SL-12xx, stay with it and upgrade the thing when budget allows. Most upgrades you mention are really audible.
If you don't like the SL-12xx, be it because it's sound or it's looks, step away from it and buy something you really like...

Sonority
11-11-2012, 14:01
I own a 1200 MK11 in standard form , the only non original item fitted on it is a AT120e cartridge

I have seen lots of posts regarding upgrading this deck

At what point is it no longer a Technics ?

If you remove the power supply and fit a external alternative make and maybe a SUT
Change the arm and cartridge
Change the mounting board / collar
Change the main bearing
Change the platter
Change the mat
Change the feet
Fit idolaters under the alternative feet

And maybe lots more changes I have not come across yet :scratch:

Is it still a Technics

It's possible, indeed very easy to spend £££$$$ on a fully maxxed out 'LP12' and for there to be hardly any Linn in there at all (if 'at' all) - (or Heybrook ;) )

What would that be called? A scottish mongrel?

I personally cannot see why it matters, if you like what it does - just enjoy it and think of a new pet name? I like Sebastian Vettels name for his last chassis :)