PDA

View Full Version : New LP cleaning

Audio Al
08-11-2012, 19:25
My new Mobile Fidelity record cleaning brush arrived today and in the instructions it quotes the following

" New records have a mold release compound applied to help them release from the stampers at the record pressing plant . We advise that you clean any new records before playing "

So it will be Okki Nokki time for my 2 new incoming LP's :)

Bazil
08-11-2012, 19:32
My new Mobile Fidelity record cleaning brush arrived today and in the instructions it quotes the following

" New records have a mold release compound applied to help them release from the stampers at the record pressing plant . We advise that you clean any new records before playing "

So it will be Okki Nokki time for my 2 new incoming LP's :)

Yes I believe this is required but I've never done it :(

Audioman
08-11-2012, 19:54
I only bother cleaning new records that need cleaning. Those that are noisier than desirable or have bad static / dust attraction problems. Sometimes a dull sounding LP can be improved which points to some surface deposit. However I generaly don't buy the mold release agent thing. I have heard it claimed this is not used on modern pressings and frankly can't see how it can apply to pressing vinyl between stampers time after time as opposed to pouring plastic into static molds.

It is possible that some additive is included in vinyl pellets that leaches out in pressing but to me that is not a mold release agent which is a chemical sprayed on molds before inserting into the press in plastic or rubber component manufacturing.

Paul.

sparrow
08-11-2012, 21:01
Never ever clean a new LP....heard about the so called mould release years ago and thought it was nonsense. If it was the case surely the records should be made perfectly playable before being sold...Not everyone has a record cleaning machine (I don't)....no room for one anyway.

Macca
08-11-2012, 21:16
One of my brothers bought me the reissue of tthe Stone Roses first album last Xmas. Red vinyl. First brand new record I have aquired in 10 years at least. Quite noisy to the extent it was unacceptable, not just audible betwen tracks but during them too. I am fussy about these things. I thought it might be the coloured vinyl. Cleaned it on the Moth - played it again - the noise was gone except at a very low level between tracks. Don't kid yourself that new records are spotless. Regardless of the existence of MRA they still need a proper clean to sound their best.

AlfaGTV
08-11-2012, 21:37
Fully agree Martin!
Whatever the reason new LP's tend to be static charged to the max and that is also eliminated with a proper clean on an RCM.
I recently bought My Morning Jacket - Circuital on a double 45rpm vinyl.
On the first listen i was appauled by the bad vinyl quality, noise and a humm, clearly audible. I didnt have much hope for this, but i gave i a swirl on the Okki Nokki and wadda you know? The humm and noise from the vinyl i all but gone? The LP now sounds quite good! Especially for a fresh pressing! ;)
Regards Mike

Moko
09-11-2012, 09:03
Last year I visited the old EMI Hayes pressing plant now known as The Vinyl Factory and when I asked the manager Steve about mould release agent he seemed very surprised that people believed such a product was used, and then showed us the complete pressing process and no agent was used.

Here's some pics of the tour & write up http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=6347.0

and their website http://thevinylfactory.com/vf-manufacturing/

Johnnie7
09-11-2012, 13:39
just got my 2 new portishead LPs delivered

im not going to clean them once on the kieth monks...im going to clean them twice :eyebrows:
i dont play any records that have not been cleaned

its when u look at the old water the machine collects and its sometimes black with dirt

so i would put a thumbs up for cleaning Lps

Marco
09-11-2012, 13:43
just got my 2 new portishead LPs delivered

im not going to clean them once on the kieth monks...im going to clean them twice :eyebrows:
i dont play any records that have not been cleaned

so i would put a thumbs up for cleaning Lps

Snap, dude - and I totally agree... Even brand new LPs need thorough cleaning before playing. Basically, no records get near my precious stylus unless they're squeaky-clean!! :exactly:

Marco.

topoxforddoc
09-11-2012, 15:47
Wet clean your records and you don’t need to clean your stylus. Also you don’t get gunk going up into the cartridge to clog up the suspension and coils. Complete no brainer.

Charlie
www.charlie-chan.co.uk

Johnnie7
09-11-2012, 23:45
here u can get a idea what the sticky grease can lead to

Johnnie7
09-11-2012, 23:47
and more from a linn clyde cart

Audio Al
09-11-2012, 23:51
Wow John

The photos are amazing , How much crap is on that needle

Johnnie7
10-11-2012, 00:12
thats just a couple from the 100s i have on record

ive seen much worse...will dig out more if im free over the weekend

Tony Bolton from HIFI world will be doing a artical in the very near future on stylis care
and im sure all you guys will find some interesting reading on how the dirt gets there and how to get rid of it

bw
j7

chelsea
10-11-2012, 00:31
Any recs for stylus cleaning jonnie?

Johnnie7
10-11-2012, 17:14
Any recs for stylus cleaning jonnie?

hi stew

i think your meaning any records made that can do the job of a stylis cleaner?

if so thats a brill idea and would be a fantastic thing to have...ive not heard of any on the market ....sure is a fine idea tho

Audio Al
10-11-2012, 17:19
I think Stu means any recommendations for cleaning ?:scratch:

chelsea
10-11-2012, 17:27
Yes just cleaning the stylus.
Was wondering if anything can remove gunk easily like an ultra sonic cleaner.

A record that would clean the stylus would be very cool.
Just going to give dunan ballantane a bell.

keiths
10-11-2012, 18:35

I'm sure a Cardas 'burn-in and system enhancer' record I once owned in the dim and distant past had an 'ultrasonic' track on it that was claimed to clean the stylus? May be mistaken.

Cheers,
Keith

Johnnie7
10-11-2012, 19:57

its a tricky job cleaning any stylis and great care is needed
the best advice is to get your records cleaned and then the need for stylis cleaning is almost taken away

ive got a new stylis care kit coming out in couple weeks :)

the engine
11-11-2012, 14:07
From another angle though...cleaning an oil based material such as vinyl with an alcohol based liquid will within very few applications dry out and leave brittle the delicate grooves . Also of course the 'bounce back' quality of the vinyl which in itself works as a protection will be eliminated. That's just my view as an engineer type bod. You might not use an alcohol based in which case all well and good. For me one wet wash should last a lifetime if you respect your black shiny lovelies .
Just a thought like .

Audioman
11-11-2012, 15:26

The AT electronic stylus cleaner is quite effective if you can find one at reasonable cost. Works by vibration if that's utrasonic enough. Never experienced ill effects though I rarely use it now. The best cure is very clean records (RCM) then no longer am brushing the stylus before playing each side.

Paul.

the engine
11-11-2012, 17:23
I thought the AT cleaners were long since extinct ? I'd love one. But for now I use a ONZOW Zerodust.
which is pretty good. I made one myself once out of a piece of one of those tacky kids toys that walk down windows....worked a treat. I reckon it's the same stuff hah .

Marco
11-11-2012, 17:28
the best advice is to get your records cleaned and then the need for stylis cleaning is almost taken away

+1. Source first, I guess! ;)

The bonus too is that, with clean records, your stylus will last much longer, which in the long run pays for the record cleaner... Win-win.

Marco

Reffc
12-11-2012, 09:51
From another angle though...cleaning an oil based material such as vinyl with an alcohol based liquid will within very few applications dry out and leave brittle the delicate grooves . Also of course the 'bounce back' quality of the vinyl which in itself works as a protection will be eliminated. That's just my view as an engineer type bod. You might not use an alcohol based in which case all well and good. For me one wet wash should last a lifetime if you respect your black shiny lovelies .
Just a thought like .

You might have thought so, but as another engineer type, I've looked into this and discussed it with a chemical engineer who has dispelled that myth. It's entirely dependant upon concentration and exposure time. Vinyl is a polymer containing amongst other things a plasticiser, and it's the plasticiser that keeps LP's flexible. Too high a concentration or too long an exposure time can lead to leaching and removal of the plasticiser but for the concentrations and cleaning times commonly practised for LP cleaning it's a non-issue unless you're in the habit of cleaning the same LP before every play!

You can use a 35% IPA (by volume) solution for an exposure time of several minutes (typical cleaning cycle) without any undue effects, and the standard archivist solution used both in the USA and in the UK for many years (and still used today) comprises 25% IPA by volume. It really isn't an issue providing that these concentrations are never exceeded. I'm aware of the misinformation published on the interweb about this, and surprise surprise, some of it comes from those selling or recommending alternative (and often quite expensive) solutions.

MartinT
12-11-2012, 10:03
It ideally needs a little detergent and wetting agent in the solution, too.

Clearaudio Pure Groove solution is hard to beat. I've tried many others and keep returning to this.

AlfaGTV
12-11-2012, 10:23
It ideally needs a little detergent and wetting agent in the solution, too.

Clearaudio Pure Groove solution is hard to beat. I've tried many others and keep returning to this.

Have tried that, but it seems to me like it leaves a shiny surface on the LP's :scratch:
I definently prefer L'Art du Son, very good results IMO...

Regards /Mike

Marco
12-11-2012, 10:50
You should make up your own solution, chaps, based on the formula Paul has quoted.

It's a damn sight cheaper (particularly as you can make much larger quantities of solution than is sold in small bottles, commercially), and in my experience, the results are far better, as you can optimise the contents of the solution, based on experimenting to see what gives the best results. Another win-win! :)

Marco.

AlfaGTV
12-11-2012, 21:05
Another win-win! :)

Marco.

Yes, Marco, that is an other option. Not all DIY turns out to be better than commercially available solutions though! ;)
And frankly, i don't see the need to reinvent the wheel more than a couple of times.. :eyebrows:
However, i do make my own pre-wash solution consisting of IPA, Aqua Purificata and a couple of drops of dish washing detergent. (Yes, i know it most probably contains a minuscule amount of salt, but i choose to see its advantages rather than possible drawbacks)

But i still haven't tried anything that comes even close to the finish that L'Art du Son provides! And of course the sonic quality of the cleaned LP's confirm this IMO :)

You gotta chose your fights Marco, can't go anal about ev-er-y-th-i-ng in audio! :ner:

Regards /Mike

Marco
12-11-2012, 21:50
Sure, lol.

All I can do is comment, based on the results of my experience. Each to his or her own, Mike, but I've used L'Art du Son, and can say categorically that the results with using my own cleaning fluid are far better - and it's cheaper!

Like I said, before: "Win-win" (for me, anyway) :)

Marco.

Audioman
13-11-2012, 09:43
L'Art du Son has it's place in cleaning some records but it results in a darker sound than a basic alcohol based solution. Also since it doesn't appear to completely evaporate I'm sure it is leaving a deposit. Needs following by Alcohol based rinse or just purified water. Have had best results using L'Art du Son for first clean followed by basic Okki Nokki cleaner (which comes as a concentrate as does L'Art du Son).

Marco
13-11-2012, 09:46
Like I said, make yer own :)

Marco.

Peter Galbavy
15-11-2012, 11:59
I now clean all my records as I acquire them. I have, like others have said, found new, shrink wrapped records to sounds pants until cleaned. Also, given I live with three hairy Maine Coons who shed like anything, the anti-static properties of the Knosti fluid I use works wonders for ignoring fur :)

There are some records I have in such poor condition that they need multiple cleanings. Noticeably.

Peter