PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 1st "new" T/T

Bazil
08-11-2012, 19:02
I've had a 2nd hand Rega P2 and currently have a Thorens TD160 which I'm always messing about with. I talked the wife into letting me have a new one for Xmas which she sort of agreed :D
The Rega RP6 was what I wanted but when it came to it £1000 for a T/T which sonically is the biz, I couldn't pull the trigger because of the looks. Don't get me wrong I really like how it looks but £1000?
So when I saw a dealership selling end of line Rega P3-24 Colour with the latest TTPSU, for £350 I jumped in.
So I've got the look , cheap and I will continue messing about with the Thorens :).
Oh can't have the P3 till Xmas morning :(

Audio Al
08-11-2012, 19:13
Oh can't have the P3 till Xmas morning

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol:
:lol:

Now thats made me laugh :D

DSJR
08-11-2012, 21:05
The Rega should just fall together, but check for firm tightness of the bits to the plinth, as slack nuts can destroy the sonics (oooh missus).

As for the Thorens, well, the sub-chassis is easily centred and the exit cables easily dressed, but you have to be something of an octopus if unskilled in the art ;)

sparrow
08-11-2012, 21:06
:lol:on Xmas morning let the missus get on with the dinner and you get on sorting out the TT take as long as you like and then on Xmas night you can sit back and enjoy your new TT and some nice LP's..sounds like a great Xmas to me.:cool:

Bazil
08-11-2012, 22:13
:lol:on Xmas morning let the missus get on with the dinner and you get on sorting out the TT take as long as you like and then on Xmas night you can sit back and enjoy your new TT and some nice LP's..sounds like a great Xmas to me.:cool:

Oh yes! Between now and then I have to sneek in a cartridge of my choice :D

Rare Bird
08-11-2012, 22:21
Get another 'DL110' or even a 'DL160' good price cartridge great sound from em, look great aswell..

walpurgis
08-11-2012, 22:30
Get another 'DL110' or even a 'DL160' good price cartridge great sound from em, look great aswell..

My vote's with the DL-160. Only available second hand now, but a great little cartridge.

Bazil
09-11-2012, 15:19
I wont be going for either of the Denons as I want a MM to suit my pure sound p10 phono stage. I may push the boat out and get an Otofon 2m Black. Any others to consider ?

Rare Bird
04-12-2012, 01:18
They are High Output MC's which means you can use the MM input.

Bazil
04-12-2012, 17:22
They are High Output MC's which means you can use the MM input.

Yes I know but it doesn't sound good with the P10, Guy at puresound told me to avoid High output MC's.

rusty bearing
04-12-2012, 18:26
I wont be going for either of the Denons as I want a MM to suit my pure sound p10 phono stage. I may push the boat out and get an Otofon 2m Black. Any others to consider ?

I've not long acquired a 2M Black and I have to say it gets my vote! There's a lot of hype about but it really does deliver:D

Bazil
04-12-2012, 18:36
I've not long acquired a 2M Black and I have to say it gets my vote! There's a lot of hype about but it really does deliver:D

Right thats it! 2M Black it is, pics will be posted on Boxing Day :santa:

Bazil
24-12-2012, 17:29
I've had a 2nd hand Rega P2 and currently have a Thorens TD160 which I'm always messing about with. I talked the wife into letting me have a new one for Xmas which she sort of agreed :D
The Rega RP6 was what I wanted but when it came to it £1000 for a T/T which sonically is the biz, I couldn't pull the trigger because of the looks. Don't get me wrong I really like how it looks but £1000?
So when I saw a dealership selling end of line Rega P3-24 Colour with the latest TTPSU, for £350 I jumped in.
So I've got the look , cheap and I will continue messing about with the Thorens :).
Oh can't have the P3 till Xmas morning :(

One more sleep :dance:

Bazil
25-12-2012, 13:38
http://imageshack.us/a/img259/6117/dsc0066mq.jpg

I didn't get much further :(

Chip in plinth :steam:

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/7449/dsc0068cf.jpg

I felt it before I saw it, surely Quality Control at Rega should have picked this up.

My wife has had this tucked away for 7 weeks, she is more disappointed than me.

Audioman
25-12-2012, 22:08
That's bad and very disappointing. Only problem is this was an end of line discounted? However unless sold as seconds you are entitled to exchange it though problem may be getting another. Frankly at £350 it's cheap even if not perfect and that chip could be repaired so that it hardly noticed.

If you realy want Rega and top sound I would go for the new RP8 at £1500 if reports are correct, otherwise look elsewhere. For £350 you are getting the deck nearly free taking into account cost of arm and power supply!

Bazil
25-12-2012, 23:19
Yes Paul it was a good deal and no doubt there are none left , I'll see what the dealer can do for me, really undecided at the moment.
I did go ahead and get an Ortofon 2M Black.

hifi_dave
26-12-2012, 12:14
That's bad and very disappointing. Only problem is this was an end of line discounted? However unless sold as seconds you are entitled to exchange it though problem may be getting another. Frankly at £350 it's cheap even if not perfect and that chip could be repaired so that it hardly noticed.

If you realy want Rega and top sound I would go for the new P7 at £1500 if reports are correct, otherwise look elsewhere. For £350 you are getting the deck nearly free taking into account cost of arm and power supply!

Even "end of line discounted" should be perfect unless specified. Another thing, Rega dealers should inspect and set up a Rega turntable from the RP1 upwards, so this sort of thing shouldn't happen.

There is no "new P7"..:scratch: There is an RP6 and now an RP8 but no P7.

Bazil
26-12-2012, 12:41
Even "end of line discounted" should be perfect unless specified. Another thing, Rega dealers should inspect and set up a Rega turntable from the RP1 upwards, so this sort of thing shouldn't happen.

When I ordered it over the phone I explained it wouldn't be open till Xmas, he asked if I wanted him to check it as it was still in the delivery box from Rega.
No says I ,what could be wrong with it :(

Audioman
26-12-2012, 18:45

Meant p7 replacement = RP8, now corrected.

Bazil
26-12-2012, 19:00
Might as well continue this thread and ask for recommendations for the p3 replacement.
I have an Ortofon 2m Black and a Puresound P10 phono amp.
I want to buy new , I could stretch to a Rega rp6.
thought ideas, very much appreciated.

Audioman
26-12-2012, 20:36
Might as well continue this thread and ask for recommendations for the p3 replacement.
I have an Ortofon 2m Black and a Puresound P10 phono amp.
I want to buy new , I could stretch to a Rega rp6.
thought ideas, very much appreciated.

Michell Tecnodeck, Notts Analogue Interspace Jr, Clearaudio Concept, Funk firm Little Superdeck, Thorens TD309, Project Xperience 2/V pack package, Acoustic Solid 111.

Bazil
26-12-2012, 21:00
Thanks Paul, let the research begin :)