PDA

View Full Version : FS Albarry M408 power amps

trio leo
08-11-2012, 18:44
Lovely pair of Albarry M408 Mono-bloc power amps, I have had these from new, they are in lovely condition, work perfectly and still sound great.

They were serviced by Neil Burnett (Albarry) about 7 years ago and were fitted with MusicWorks mains cables (£400) about 3 years ago.

I can demonstrate to serious punters. I live in Derbyshire.

buyer collects.

I am asking £595 for these highly regarded amplifiers.

Regards Al

Audio Al
08-11-2012, 19:01
PM will be with you soon

trio leo
12-11-2012, 15:15
Now reduced to £550, BARGAIN!:stalks:

Lovely pair of Albarry M408 Mono-bloc power amps, I have had these from new, they are in lovely condition, work perfectly and still sound great.

They were serviced by Neil Burnett (Albarry) about 7 years ago and were fitted with MusicWorks mains cables (£400) about 3 years ago.

I can demonstrate to serious punters. I live in Derbyshire.

buyer collects.

I am asking £595 for these highly regarded amplifiers.

Regards Al

Yomanze
12-11-2012, 15:29
Now reduced to £550, BARGAIN!:stalks:

Arrrrgh if I didn't have 2x sets of amps already I'd have snapped these up.

trio leo
20-11-2012, 14:03
These super amps are still available, I can demonstrate, I live in Derbyshire

regards Al

trio leo
23-11-2012, 13:28
Sold

regards Al

Alex_UK
23-11-2012, 20:27
Thank God for that, will now stop me keep checking this thread every day thinking if I should or not... so the divorce will be put back for a little longer! Hope the new owner enjoys them - a bargain.

Gri055
23-11-2012, 20:31
Hi. New to this forum and still a bit confused. Have you still got the Albarry 408 amps or are they sold?

DSJR
23-11-2012, 20:32
Plenty of DC300A's around Alex, so don't worry ;)

The Grand Wazoo
23-11-2012, 20:33
Hi. New to this forum and still a bit confused. Have you still got the Albarry 408 amps or are they sold?

There's a sign up there that says SOLD, I'm afraid

Rare Bird
23-11-2012, 20:38
I used to own a pair of these, but it's a long story :)

Alex_UK
23-11-2012, 21:25
Plenty of DC300A's around Alex, so don't worry ;)

Yebut oi loikes red... :lol:

trio leo
23-11-2012, 22:37
Hopefully you will get the chance to hear the new model Albarry's, they are stunning IMHO

regards Al

Alex_UK
23-11-2012, 23:39
Hi Al, yes, I've heard the new ones, and I can't disagree with you - is that what you are replacing the M408's with?

trio leo
24-11-2012, 11:50
Hi Alex,
Yes, the M1108's are going to be the replacement amps, can't wait, they are the best I've ever heard.
When the Spectral Pre-amp sells I'll get the Albarry AP 11 to replace it.

enjoy your music

regards Al

DSJR
24-11-2012, 11:55
PLEASE check out the Croft RS preamp in direct comparison before placing your order, just to be certain, since I found the full Albarry set to be too much of a good thing - too controlled and damped out. If you can get a comparison of these two preamps, you'd be happy to know that more money is unlikely to get you anywhere further apart from looks and facilities...

Alex_UK
24-11-2012, 11:56
Excellent - I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

trio leo
24-11-2012, 12:22
Thanks DSJR,

I understand what you mean about a little damped, however, the model has just been upgraded with several tweaks and is available from this week I believe.

Although, I agree with you, I should give that croft a listen to.

enjoy your music

regards Al

DSJR
24-11-2012, 12:41
Thanks DSJR,

I understand what you mean about a little damped, however, the model has just been upgraded with several tweaks and is available from this week I believe.

Oooooh, that sounds VERY interesting, since it was just this "restraint" that I had a thing about. The power amps are exactly as you say though and I loved 'em loads when I heard them. take care not to scratch the paint though.....

trio leo
24-11-2012, 19:14
Hi DSJR,

No paint now, the heatsinks are now anodised. I heard the upgraded Pre today and it was very good, the shop owner said the improvements had taken it from the best pre-amp in Britain to World class.
It was impressive IMO

regards Al

DSJR
24-11-2012, 19:46
Best preamp in Britain? I dunno, the things dealer people tell you to get a sale :lol: Takes one (ex) to know one you know :lol:

A line stage these days only needs to be an op-amp or two (oh alright, a valve instead :lol:), plus a proper supply to drive them - one reason why so many can fail sonically in both preamps and CD player/DAC output stages is due to inadequate supply, but because op-amps got such a terrible name in the early 70's, designers think they can do far better with what they know, hence the proliferation of discrete line stages which can be tailored to the needs of the designer.

To me, a preamp shouldn't add nor remove any of the signal fed it, but sadly, so many Top End models DO alter the sonics of the input signal to the output and this is judged as a good thing by Kessler and many of his cronies, including Martin Colloms in past times, who knows better but knew who paid his income........ Neil has a pair of reference mono amps and I sincerely hope he's now got the preamp up to that standard, because although I really wanted to love it, a £750 Croft with Albarry Mono's opened the soundfield up so much more for me.