PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

btverran
08-11-2012, 16:44
Hello everybody,

My name is Tom, and I don't have a system. I've wanted one for years but never been able to afford anything. Now I can and I've started the long process of trying to figure out what i need/want. I'll probably keep things fairly simple to start with; TT, integrated amp and some decent speakers will do for a while methinks.

As for music, there are pretty much three things I want to collect on vinyl; Delta blues (Blind Willie Johnson, Robert Johnson, etc.), early rock 'n' roll (Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry et al) and every Wailer's studio album. There's a few other specifc records I want, but I'm defo going hunting for those three.

Any advice would be more than welcome, just don't get too technical on me :)

John
08-11-2012, 18:28
Welcome Tom
There many systems out there so just take you time and try and hear a few systems before you decide what way to go, also set aside a budget not to go over
Hope you enjoy your time at AOS

Audio Al
08-11-2012, 18:35
Hello Tom

All good things are worth waiting for

When you are ready to purchase have a look in the

Private Exhibitions section for some good used equipment , normally some serious bargain up for sale

Enjoy your time with us on the forum :)

Covenant
08-11-2012, 19:04
Here is a secret Tom-the budget end of hifi is where all the fun is. Don't get taken in by expensive badges. As Audio Al says look for second hand items which you will be able to move along if they don't suit.

Puffin
08-11-2012, 19:36
Hi Tom my son lives in Ealing, he nicked all my good budget hifi, but he forgets - I know where he lives!

Take Jerry's advice and you won't go far wrong.

Welcome. Rob.

Alex_UK
08-11-2012, 22:19
Welcome from me too, Tom. I'd echo the sentiments - hifi needn't be an expensive game unless you want it to be, and the law of diminishing returns kicks in relatively early, and pretty hard - it should always be about the music, and it looks like that's your priority so you're on the right road. :) Enjoy AoS, and enjoy your hifi journey - always remember this is about having fun!

The Grand Wazoo
08-11-2012, 22:25
Hi Tom
Welcome to AoS from me too.

Big fan of early blues here - I do most of my listening to vinyl as I prefer it usually, however, for the early Blues, I found that CD is perhaps the better medium for me because of the availability of material. However, if it's more about owning a 'collection' for you, then yes, vinyl is probably best.
I look forward to discussing Deaf Tommy McJohnson and other notable merchants of crusty old blues with you soon!
Cheers

btverran
09-11-2012, 00:33
A deaf blues musician? Presumably with some suitable tale of woe and hardship? This I have to check out. Cheers!

btverran
09-11-2012, 00:34
Oh, also, thanks for the welcome everybody.

The Grand Wazoo
09-11-2012, 01:05
....Deaf Tommy McJohnson.....

Just kidding!

btverran
12-11-2012, 21:18
Rats, it was either gonna be the best blues ever recorded, or the worst. Or just average. I'll stick to all the blind guys then.

The Grand Wazoo
12-11-2012, 21:20
He-heh!
Welcome once again.