PDA

View Full Version : The Tarnished Golden Ear

ehoove
08-11-2012, 10:52
As I get older it becomes harder and harder to hear the subtle nuances I once could pick up on instantly which is rather frustrating.
For that reason, I'm not sure it makes much sense to continue my system quest with this issue existing. I'm very pleased with my systems as they are for the most part, which is why my attention has shifted more to attaining more music as of late. Anyone else experience this?
Regards,
Jim

Macca
08-11-2012, 13:41
Difficult to see where you could improve on that system you have, Jim. :) Must say I don't have any of these hearing issues myself but I am still only a spring chicken at 44. As for the lads with tinnitus - I can only imagine how awful that must be.

Effem
08-11-2012, 13:56
I am not far off the 60 mark and unless someone tells me otherwise I would presume my hearing has started rolling off the top end, but it matters not one jot to me because I still love my music :eyebrows:

Puffin
08-11-2012, 14:39
I have my ears cleaned out once a year as I get a build up in my right ear. However, I can tell that my right ear is not so able to hear the HFs as my left.

Audio Al
08-11-2012, 18:45
My hearing has improved since I stopped poking things in them for cleaning purposes ,

maybe I should change my user name to waxy luggs :lol:

ehoove
09-11-2012, 00:12
Difficult to see where you could improve on that system you have, Jim. :) Must say I don't have any of these hearing issues myself but I am still only a spring chicken at 44. As for the lads with tinnitus - I can only imagine how awful that must be.

Nice of you to say. I do have a bit of tinnitus from time to time, and this has entered into the equation as well. I mixed to much sound for rock bands back in the 70's
Regards,
Jim

Reffc
09-11-2012, 07:25
You're not alone Jim. Plenty of "audiophiles" have damaged or imperfect hearing but it shouldn't stop you enjoying music! I have permanent tinnitus and hearing loss in one ear through shooting. I should have known better and worn hearing protection...the one time I didn't I lost half my hearing in the left ear...it was instant and I've been kicking myself ever since.

Think of all the youngsters these days attending clubs, particularly with what they listen to and for the durations they regularly expose themselves to loud music (I apologise to music for calling it that), plus the ranks of people listening too loudly every single day to in-ear phones on their personal digital players. I reckon there's going to be an explosion of hearing problems to come with the younger generation (but they'll be too deaf to hear it!).

ehoove
09-11-2012, 10:30
You're not alone Jim. Plenty of "audiophiles" have damaged or imperfect hearing but it shouldn't stop you enjoying music!

Actually it has done the reverse. I am now no longer evaluating my rigs with music, but enjoying music via my rigs.

There are a few small things I want to do equipment wise. I'm going to replace the Yamaha CR840 receiver with a Yamaha CA1000 integrated, and source better 6L6GC tubes for the monoblocks. Other than that I'm pretty well set, just finding and listening to new music.
Regards,
Jim

Tim
09-11-2012, 10:44
Actually it has done the reverse. I am now no longer evaluating my rigs with music, but enjoying music via my rigs.
That's exactly where I am Jim and totally loving it too - I guess many would say I have 'downgraded' significantly, I never listen to anything other than the music now, I buy more and learn more and my life is very much richer for it. I have a very frugal system but to me it sounds so sweet and lets me enjoy what has been the only constant thing throughout my life.

I think know my days of faffing about with gear are completely over, I spend my time exclusively exploring my collection and discovering new artists.

I have two things to do, buy new stands for my speakers and source a PSU for my music server, but I'm in no hurry :)