PDA

View Full Version : buying used vinyls from ebay

hkk
27-02-2009, 04:20
are they reliable in terms of the lps quality? any member can share some information?
thanks

muffinman
27-02-2009, 06:54
In short - no. Read the sellers feedback. If previous buyers are happy with their vinyl purchases then it's a safer bet. Also the record grading scale is abused, I had 'perfect' vinyl sent to me which was unlistenable. I've also had great lps which have been a bargain. It's a minefield. Good luck

Tony G
27-02-2009, 07:18
Have a look at www.musicstack.com - a bit like amazon marketplace - I have found it less of a lottery than ebay.

Beechwoods
27-02-2009, 07:26
I agree with Muffinman, though I've only been stung a couple of times. Feedback is the thing. Don't pay more than you think something's worth. It's easy to get carried away. Try places like Gemm (http://www.gemm.com/) as well. The problem with some eBay sellers I think is that they try and grade visually, or grade play on a crappy turntable. My big disappointments have been with very clean looking records, that play badly - picture discs where it's not evident, or stuff played only a couple of times but with a bad stylus.

hkk
27-02-2009, 07:36
Have a look at www.musicstack.com - a bit like amazon marketplace - I have found it less of a lottery than ebay.

thanks tony

hkk
27-02-2009, 07:39
I agree with Muffinman, though I've only been stung a couple of times. Feedback is the thing. Don't pay more than you think something's worth. It's easy to get carried away. Try places like Gemm (http://www.gemm.com/) as well. The problem with some eBay sellers I think is that they try and grade visually, or grade play on a crappy turntable. My big disappointments have been with very clean looking records, that play badly - picture discs where it's not evident, or stuff played only a couple of times but with a bad stylus.

thanks nick

Primalsea
28-02-2009, 09:03
I tend to but quite a bit from Ebay but as mentioned it can be a lottery. Then again you can get very good records for only a few quid so...........

I have complained to seller before for being dishonest via the ebay messaging system so Ebay have copies. I usually give a detailed description of what was wrong as well and insisted that they refund all costs plus pay for any return postage. Usually they do this to avoid it going further. Ebay for all its pains does cancel bad feedback if it is given out of spite. Ebay have removed bad feedback from my account without me even asking as they saw that I paid immediately, sent several unanswered messages to the seller and then only gave bad feedback to them.

One seller sold a record that was almost unplayable but was described as good condition. I complained and during the correspondance he let slip that after buying the record he sold me he went out and bought the latest pressing. In other words he thought it was crap but thought he would dishonestly list it and sell it on hoping th eproblem would go away, it didnt.

I've had some stunners though and many sellers are interested in the repeat business so they will see you right.

The Grand Wazoo
28-02-2009, 11:38
You can't generalise at all.

Ebay is a reflection of all human life
........there are some total scumbags who want to rip you off & run

...............there are others who'd sell you their Granny

.........there are people who misrepresent items for sale through genuine mistake or innocent ignorance

..............there are some everyday folks who just want to shift some stuff they don't use for a few quid

............others want to make an honest living.

But every now & then you do business with a true gent (or lady) and that makes it worthwhile.

Sgt.Pepper
28-02-2009, 22:11
A good record cleaner is a must when buying 2nd hand,although they are expensive to buy on your own so maybe you and a few friends could chip in together and share it !
Otherwise I would just take a chance on some ebayers with good feedback,had a couple of gems of late costing only £1 each,good nick too :rock:

hkk
02-03-2009, 03:18
how about those "sealed/factory sealed" lps? just wonder are they really factory sealed or actually "re-sealed" by the seller afterwards. :scratch:

popol_vuh
02-03-2009, 21:07
Hm, am i the only one that's had about 30 packages of LPs sent to me from e-bay sellers, with maybe just about two of those being in slightly less good condition (but still completely acceptable) than i expected?

IME, good feedback, profesionally and openly made listing, price that's not unrealistically low and in 99% of the cases it's just completely ok.

Pool Hall Richard
03-03-2009, 14:15
I did finally setup my ebay account about 3 months back primarily so I could search for good quality secondhand vinyl. So far I’ve only gotten as far as bidding for a vinyl copy of Stephen Stills Manassas. I got beat by a couple quid at the end of the sale but I was still hesitant. I have looked on Musicstack and that does look altogether more friendly so may well go on there instead.

The Grand Wazoo
06-03-2009, 13:52
You can't generalise at all.

Ebay is a reflection of all human life
........there are some total scumbags who want to rip you off & run

...............there are others who'd sell you their Granny

.........there are people who misrepresent items for sale through genuine mistake or innocent ignorance

..............there are some everyday folks who just want to shift some stuff they don't use for a few quid

............others want to make an honest living.

But every now & then you do business with a true gent (or lady) and that makes it worthwhile.

Despite the impression that this earlier posting I made may give, I've bought literally hundreds of LP's on Ebay. I think perhaps 2 were not so good. One had a bad warp & the other was OK but very different to the condition described. You just have to take care on what you bid for and with the sellers you deal with - check out their feedback, that's what it's for. Don't expect condition to be exactly as described unless you ask specific detailed questions. I wouldn't buy anything used for more than say £15 without asking a few questions first, not least about returns in case things don't turn out as you hoped. Also check how the vinyl will be packed.

I think most of the dodgy folk selling music on Ebay are selling CD's, as that's where the volume sales are - I've fallen foul of a few of those guys.

I'd echo the advice about getting a record cleaning machine though. I've had one for a few years & wouldn't do without it. Also I've never met anyone yet who regretted buying one - that's why they're so rarely available on the 2nd hand market.

Oh, one more thing, like much of the stuff on Ebay, watch out for the postage costs!