PDA

View Full Version : Larry Carlton

Puffin
07-11-2012, 20:20
On Monday evening I went to what was called a "Masterclass" by the legendary LC. As it was only £9 I thought it was worth a punt.

I saw LC as part of Fourplay back in 2000, and was mightily impressed. The evening was hosted by Andertons music store in Guildford and I assume it was designed to attract students at the Guildford ACM (music academy). Average age must have been 45, so maybe it didn't attract the targeted audience. However the place was full.

LC is a very unassuming laid back character, who has been a four time Grammy award winner. He would have the absolute right to blow his own trumpet, but that is not his style. He played a bit, talked about his music career, influences, those he had worked with, his playing style and took questions from the audience. His responses were punctuated by him "strumming" (bit of an understatement really) to illustrate his answers. The man is just one cool dude with no ego or pretensions, for example he was talking about his time with Steely Dan and he just spontaneously started playing the intro to Josie from the Aja album.

2 hours later he wrapped the night up with Miles for Smiles and we all went away really happy.

John
07-11-2012, 21:13
I seen him a few times in lots of different settings I tend to perfer his more fusion based stuff but he can play any style with ease, comes across as a really nice man
He has a amazing ear in his guitar tuition video he talks about hearing the notes from a plane engine The guy can play with taste yet has the techinical skill also great guitar player

ehoove
07-11-2012, 21:28
He is one of my favorite guitarists, and I envy your evening. Pick up the Larry and Lee disc, Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour together. wow! It is fantastic! IMHO
Regards,
Jim

Puffin
07-11-2012, 21:31
He is one of my favorite guitarists, and I envy your evening. Pick up the Larry and Lee disc, Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour together. wow! It is fantastic! IMHO
Regards,
Jim

Yes, I have had that CD a looooong time. If you like Lee Ritenour his latest Rhythm Sessions is excellent.

AlexM
08-11-2012, 17:36
I saw him play with Chaka Khan's band on the Tube back in the day, and he was just such a fluent, lyrical player. I was and am very impressed by his playing.

No wonder he was in such high demand as a session musician.

Nigel
28-12-2012, 21:47
I know you are all probably aware of this track, it's an old classic but what a tune and boy what a solo! The Crusaders, 'Spiral' from their 1976 album, "Those Southern Knights"