PDA

View Full Version : WTD_Cheap Laptop.

kininigin
06-11-2012, 18:04
Does anyone have an old battered laptop gathering dust,that could do with a little tlc and a good home?

I'm going to be away from dec,for 5-6 months and need something for some entertainment,for when i stay in.

I'm thinking below £100 with wi-fi and a half decent sized hardrive,although these aren't essential.

Would a tempory exchange of a mike new bearing for a laptop interest anyone?
I'm just thinking aloud,it's only going to be sat here collecting dust!!

StanleyB
06-11-2012, 18:37
Have a look on eBay for the Dell Latitude D420. They go for around £100 to £140 and are cracking travelling companions. Some of them were fitted with a SIM card slot as well. I used one for many years on business travels, loaded up Win7 X64 when that came out, and my brother in law now uses it as his main PC. Solid as a rock, abuse proof, and a very small footprint.

Rare Bird
06-11-2012, 18:42
I bought two Dell 'D620's last year for around £120.00 apiece

Emmings
06-11-2012, 23:07
Got a Compaq CQ70 available which has a slightly dodgy screen - basically it works but needs to be in the right 'position' to work properly. The touchpad doesn't work either :) but with a USB mouse it's fine. But the laptop works fine and the wireless is OK - 250Gb drive with (I think) 4Gb of ram.

Replaced with a new laptop so needs to go.

PM if interested

Yomanze
07-11-2012, 09:38
http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/laptops-under-100.html

kininigin
09-11-2012, 21:16
Have a look on eBay for the Dell Latitude D420. They go for around £100 to £140 and are cracking travelling companions. Some of them were fitted with a SIM card slot as well. I used one for many years on business travels, loaded up Win7 X64 when that came out, and my brother in law now uses it as his main PC. Solid as a rock, abuse proof, and a very small footprint.

Thanks for the suggestion stan,sounds like just what i need.To be honest,i thought laptops would be more expensive,that's why i was asking here hoping someone would take pity on me :lol:

I bought two Dell 'D620's last year for around £120.00 apiece

I'll check this model as well,cheers Andre.

http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/laptops-under-100.html

Cheers for the link,i'll check it out.

Got a Compaq CQ70 available which has a slightly dodgy screen - basically it works but needs to be in the right 'position' to work properly. The touchpad doesn't work either :) but with a USB mouse it's fine. But the laptop works fine and the wireless is OK - 250Gb drive with (I think) 4Gb of ram.

Replaced with a new laptop so needs to go.

PM if interested

When i said "abused laptop" i meant cosmetically rather than functionally.In my experience,once a laptop screen starts to go,it can only get worse,so i will have to say no to your offer.The 250gb harddrive would of been handy though!!!

kininigin
26-11-2012, 21:54
Managed to get a Dell Latitude D620,250GB HDD,3GB Memory,new battery and loads of free extras like a laptop bag,8GB memory stick,webcam,usb light stick (whatever that is! :lol:) USB Cooling Pad and a nice amount of software.

All for £145 that'll do nicely,even though i don't really need/want all the extra stuff :lol:

kininigin
30-11-2012, 09:27
The laptop turned up yesterday and it's very nice,should handled being abused the next few months :lol:

Anyway,i have only ever used xp and this comes with W7,so it's a bit different to what i'm used to but not that bad.I need to transfer my music from my pc to the laptop and don't have an external hdd,how would i go about it?

I've never done it before,also i can't seem to get the asio driver installed any suggestions?

:cool:

Stratmangler
30-11-2012, 09:45
W7 uses WASAPI drivers.
Your router more than likely has LAN ports - set up a network connection between the machines and copy files over.

kininigin
30-11-2012, 10:06
Cheers chris,i'll give it a go.

kininigin
30-11-2012, 11:14
Wasapi is installed,but i'm getting nowhere fast with the home network and it's starting to piss me off!!

Are there any tutorials that explain how you do it between xp and W7?

Edit_Give me a minute,i may have found something!!

I have now sussed it out,before going on a laptop/pc smashing rampage :lol:

goraman
01-12-2012, 20:35
After a Toshiba that nearly made me a computer expert O repair with the constaint help of Martin T.
I only use Thinkpads I just got another T61 for $149.00 on ebay and it came loaded with Win7pro ect...
We have a couple of them and they are bullet proof,even our 3 year old uses them.
There is no other laptop built quite like em.
A 14 inch T61 wide screen will serve you very well.

kininigin
02-12-2012, 12:46
After a Toshiba that nearly made me a computer expert O repair with the constaint help of Martin T.
I only use Thinkpads I just got another T61 for $149.00 on ebay and it came loaded with Win7pro ect...
We have a couple of them and they are bullet proof,even our 3 year old uses them.
There is no other laptop built quite like em.
A 14 inch T61 wide screen will serve you very well.

I wish you mentioned about this before!! I've had to send it back,as the hdd in knackerd and will not boot up :doh:

The guy who sold me it though,has been very helpful in solving the issue and i should have another sent out monday/tueday.

He was genuinely sorry,as he knew i was going away this week and so don't have much time to be looking for laptops and getting them delivered before i go.

It was a very nice laptop though for the money and in immaculate condition!!

kininigin
04-12-2012, 09:23
The guy just sent me a message,saying that he has just bought a new 320GB Hdd,will install today and send tomorrow :D

brian2957
04-12-2012, 11:06
Excellent service . :)

kininigin
04-12-2012, 15:08
Excellent service . :)

That's what i thought,unless knowing that i'm leaving on sunday,he has decided to keep my money and my laptop :lol:

brian2957
04-12-2012, 17:26
Nah . You'll gettim when you get back if he does that . :eyebrows: Enjoy your trip and your laptop BTW.

kininigin
04-12-2012, 18:51
Nah . You'll gettim when you get back if he does that . :eyebrows: Enjoy your trip and your laptop BTW.

Cheers Brian and i'm sure it will be fine,but yes you are right,now i know where he works :lol:

You're 1 post away from 1000 posts,don't waste it :D