PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sussex

Jonneville
04-11-2012, 20:24
First name is Jon', from Sussex.

I bought most of my current system about 20 years ago when I was working in Hong Kong, consisting of a pair of VTL 225W monoblocks, VTL De Luxe preamp, Martin Logan Sequel IIs and some good quality cables - Van den Huls (I think?) etc. As vinyl was disappearing back then and the humid climate was not kind to records, I bought (and still have) an ADS CD4 CD player.

For the past 30 years I've owned a Rega Planar 2 with a Dynavector 10X, which replaced a Sansui 222 with an Ultimo 10X. A few months ago I was fortunate enough to buy a beautiful, upgraded Thorens TD 124 Mk2, previously owned by Fox on Pink Fish.

I am currently trying to decide upon an arm and cartridge and have settled on some type of Denon 103 (possibly a Zu or maybe a Midas upgrade) and either 750D or 750L Jelco (or maybe one of the new Ortofon TAs).

Regards

Jon'.

The Grand Wazoo
04-11-2012, 20:35
Hi Jon,
Welcome to AoS - it's nice that you found us.
We'd love to see some photos of your gear in The Gallery.
What sort of music do you like to play on it?

Cheers

Jonneville
04-11-2012, 20:45
Thanks Chris, the tubes do look spectacular in the dark! I'll try to take a decent photo soon. Right now I'm listening to a lot of Ry Cooder - in particular I,Flathead and Chavez Ravine - early Jackson Browne, bit of Richard Thompson and rediscovering Southern rock - Marshall Tucker, Skynryd etc, partly due to the fact that I'm currently spending quite a lot of time in the States driving hot rods many thousands of miles on road trips and racing at Bonneville.

Regards

Jon'.

Jonboy
04-11-2012, 21:08
Hi Jon and welcome from another Jon (Jonathan) from good old Sussex by the Sea.

Hot rods are a bit of a love of mine as well and i'm really liking the rat rod thing at the mo as it goes with my restore but don't paint ethos i use on my old engine hobby, being bit of an engine fiend i currently own a few early single cylinder stationary engines from the start of the 20th century, got a couple of V8 powered land rovers as well to play with.

As for the hifi hobby its a secondary love and full of weirdo's :D

Jonneville
04-11-2012, 21:31
Thanks Jon - as you can see I'm a Jonathan too. A pal of mine also collects stationary engines - small world. I don't like rat rods but "traditional" hot rods are another matter. Don't know if you've heard of The Rolling Bones Hot Rod Shop in New York but I'm heavily involved with them and own this '32 roadster which we race at Bonneville...

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/StampeSV4/photo-14.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/StampeSV4/IMG_0566-1.jpg

Regards

Jon'.

Jonboy
04-11-2012, 22:06
Very nice, i know a couple of people who have had hot rods and SE engines as well, funny old world

I have a soft spot for pick ups and fell in love with these a few years back, the front Model T is road legal and really appeals to my rusty and running thing, not really rat rods but just great and unmolested

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/EngineShow5.jpg

Jonneville
04-11-2012, 22:08
Fabulous, Jon' - are they both yours?

Regards

Jon'.

Jonboy
04-11-2012, 22:25
Fabulous, Jon' - are they both yours?

Regards

Jon'.

Unfortunately not, they belong to a feller down in Dorset, i had a major cock up last year and could of bought a early 30's Citroen Pickup over in France very cheap, got someone go and look but ummed and erred to much and my sensible head took over so it went :doh:

The price is really starting to rocket now for this type of thing,, oh well happy dreaming for now