PDA

View Full Version : New ipad mini

Martinh
03-11-2012, 07:27
Anyone tried the new ipad mini yet or planning to get one?

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/overview/?cid=wwa-uk-kwg-ipad-10001&sissr=1

Looks like it could be the new ipad killer :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Filterlab
03-11-2012, 09:14
Not seen one yet, but I won't be falling over myself to. From my point of view, as long as I know the OS, the device it's contained within doesn't really matter. It's a lovely thing though, but all Apple products are - and it's guaranteed to be a HUGE seller for Christmas.

If I was rich I would have one, but as I barely use my iPad now it would be a waste for me to buy one. My iPad just gets used on a Sunday as a bible and that's all - since purchasing a MacBook Pro for my business the iPad just simply doesn't get a look in. :)

aquapiranha
03-11-2012, 09:58
Just ordered 2 black ones last night at the request of the other Half's sister. They are for her spoilt kids who are 8 and 9...

morris_minor
03-11-2012, 11:11
Anyone tried the new ipad mini yet or planning to get one?

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/overview/?cid=wwa-uk-kwg-ipad-10001&sissr=1

Looks like it could be the new ipad killer :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Just wondered why you thought it would be an iPad killer? If ultimate portability was the priority you'd use an iPhone or Touch, if not why wouldn't you want the bigger screen of an iPad? Am I missing something here :scratch:.

Filterlab
03-11-2012, 11:15
I think it's to ensure that Apple don't lose sales to other companies offering the 7"ish tablets rather than a genuinely revolutionary offering. :)

synsei
03-11-2012, 11:16
I'm considering a Nexus 7 ;)

zygote23
03-11-2012, 11:29
Nexus 7 FTW.....no apple product shall darken my door!

Give serious stern look to all and sundry just so they get it!

I'm debating whether to go for the Nexus 7 32g or hold on for the 10" version. I need neither of these as I have a google phone which despite the wanky battery life is a terrific toy.

Martinh
03-11-2012, 11:42
I'm looking for a solution to stream Spotify to my system either via airplay or usb to my Rega Dac.

We do already have an iPad 2 and the spotify app is incredible - possibly the best tablet app that I have seen so far.

Only problem is that everyone wants to use my ipad, so I want one just for me ;)

Spotify app for iPad video:

FqvS94-ScFM

Clive
03-11-2012, 11:57
Unless Apple come out with fresh innovation (where ever they source it from...) I believe they have peaked. They probably won't lose much market share seeing as people are either Apple lovers or haters. The competition on tablets and phones has caught up and arguably overtaken in some areas. So Apple then decide to sack their head of OS development who was seen as a primary innovator demanding Jobs-like big ideas. They blamed him for the maps fiasco and got rid of him when promoting him would have been a better idea.

The 2012 T3 award winners Google, Samsung, Asus, Raspberry. Apple got work gadget of the year for the 4S but the best phone was the Samsung SIII.

Martinh
03-11-2012, 12:14
Thanks Clive but that doesn't solve my Spotify problem ;)

I can stream Spotify from my media PC but it's way too complicated for my family to use :scratch:

Clive
03-11-2012, 12:16
:) Sorry, I was just chatting as if in the pub.

Martinh
03-11-2012, 12:19
:) Sorry, I was just chatting as if in the pub.

I'll have a pint of Best please, if you're buying! :)

Clive
03-11-2012, 12:21
I'll have a pint of Best please, if you're buying! :)
Gladly, seeing as it's not cider! :lol:

Martinh
03-11-2012, 12:25
Gladly, seeing as it's not cider! :lol:

ahh, I got it eventually, very subtle :lol:

Gazjam
03-11-2012, 18:42
Just watched the Ipad Mini announcement...
Apple reckon other 7" tablet manufacturer's have "failed miserably"... :lol:

The Black Adder
04-11-2012, 20:54
Just ordered one of these...

http://www.angeldust.org.uk/Amstrad_files/Amstrad_NC200.jpg

The Amstrad iBad :)

Filterlab
05-11-2012, 21:43
Just ordered one of these...

http://www.angeldust.org.uk/Amstrad_files/Amstrad_NC200.jpg

The Amstrad iBad :)

Nice, but I prefer the IBM Thinkpad from 1968 (or 2001, depending on one's point of view)

http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2001-Space-Odyssey-tablet-TV.jpg

nat8808
14-11-2012, 17:14
hehe... I bet they are both projections from underneath the table. Do they move them in the film (can't remember that bit).

At £129 for the 64Gb model, the older Blackberry Playbook is fantastic for a tablet for general use. The Playbook even has stereo speakers! When will the iPad catch up with that even?

Personally IOS drives me up the wall on a regular basis with its fake multi-tasking and memory and processor saving cut backs. e.g. re-uses tabs on the browser to open new pages instead of opening another new one, can't watch an embedded video or live stream (or listen to it) and continue to browse the internet. Of course the cut backs mean that interaction with the OS is so smooth and seemless but just shows up limits elsewhere.

Martinh
14-11-2012, 17:44
The ipad mini has stereo speakers.

There's no multitasking in ios, except that you can listen to music or radio while doing other stuff.

Not sure if there's a tablet where you can truly multitask ie have 2 windows side by side simultaneously. Maybe the new windows 8 tablets?

Best to stick to a laptop if you want to do stuff like that?

Cheers,

nat8808
15-11-2012, 12:25
The ipad mini has stereo speakers.

There's no multitasking in ios, except that you can listen to music or radio while doing other stuff.

Not sure if there's a tablet where you can truly multitask ie have 2 windows side by side simultaneously. Maybe the new windows 8 tablets?

Best to stick to a laptop if you want to do stuff like that?

Cheers,

Wow! It does indeed have stereo speakers.. but both on one side of the tablet within an inch of each other :doh: oh well, one step at a time I suppose.

Multi-tasking (in the computer sense, not the human sense !) doesn't mean you have to be able to physically see both programs at the same time, it only means that the programs are both running and processing at the same time. IOS switches off other apps and saves their state to memory until you return to it. To make it usable, it allows music to play in the background but that's about it.

Even my 2009 Nokia N900 phone does proper multitasking. The old Playbook definately does that and you can see for example a video playing in the media player, whilst an embedded video plays in the browser window, whilst unpacking a .rar in another, when you're switching between the apps. It does have an annoying programmed thing in the browser that stops embedded media in the tabs that aren't active, so that you don't get clashes of more than one thing playing but there's a quick way around it so that they can play at the same time should you so wish.

Most tablets multi-task except IOS ones - as I say, the downside is that the multitasking tablets aren't as smooth running because they're doing more and not programmed to hand over resources to the user interface only. Most consumers though are more wowed by the smooth interface and don't care for doing more than one thing at a time - I'm the other way around as I want my tablet to have the same user functionality as a laptop to some extent.

Martinh
15-11-2012, 14:58
I suppose its a toss up between smoothness, battery life, weight etc.

One day, we'll have full PC power available with 10+ hours battery in a small tablet format. I heard that there are new display screens (igzo?) in the pipeline that will give much more battery life.

BTW, I went down to PC world at lunchtime and didn't see one ipad on display. Or Microsoft Surface. Plenty of new units from Amazon, Samsung and Google though. I can't say that I was particularly taken with any of them though.

Interesting times for computing.

Filterlab
19-11-2012, 20:26
hehe... I bet they are both projections from underneath the table. Do they move them in the film (can't remember that bit).

They are indeed, but conceptually Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick were 50 years ahead with their visions of the future - and that's an amazing sense of forethought. Not only that, but the fact that the concept was named 'Thinkpad' is practically seeing into the future.

But yes, of course they're projectors under the table. Definitely cool though. :)

Tim
19-11-2012, 21:18
conceptually Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick were 50 years ahead with their visions of the future - and that's an amazing sense of forethought.
I reckon you can include Steve Jobs in there too. Despite not being an Apple fanbois, you have to admire and respect his vision, a very sad loss. I also think Jonathan Ive is a bit of a genius too.

nat8808
21-11-2012, 20:41
Not only that, but the fact that the concept was named 'Thinkpad' is practically seeing into the future.

Not if IBM used the name because of the film.

Sci-Fi influences people and thought processes, rather than necessarily predicting the future..

Martinh
21-11-2012, 21:08
Well, I got to use the new ipad mini last week for an hour or so.

It's a very nice tablet indeed - very light and thin and the build quality is exceptional.

The screen is a small step up from the ipad 2 that I have, but not as good as the new hi resolution screens, I guess.

After a few minutes, you dont notice the fact that its smaller than the ipad 2. The apps that have been developed for the big ipad fit the smaller screen perfectly, as they have the same resolution. I reckon it's a better bet for reading than the bigger one.

In fact using it is a bit of a non event, as its essentially a scaled down ipad 2.

I think that apple will sell a load of these.

Cheers,

NRG
21-11-2012, 22:28
I agree Martin, they are nice to use with zillions of compatible apps, I like them a lot. I also like the Nexus 7, slightly smaller display but lower in cost and big on performance for the size. The consumer has a lot of choice this Xmas!

Martinh
21-11-2012, 22:45
I agree Martin, they are nice to use with zillions of compatible apps, I like them a lot. I also like the Nexus 7, slightly smaller display but lower in cost and big on performance for the size. The consumer has a lot of choice this Xmas!

Yes, also looked at the Nexus 7 - not bad at all. I think i prefer the ios interface, but you can't argue at the price.

On a general note - google, apple and now Microsoft becoming software, hardware and infrastructure provider, with the traditional hardware partners being increasingly marginalised. Looks like a trend to become more apple-like?

As you say Neal, plenty of choice.

Martinh
28-11-2012, 06:18
Interesting statistics out, which show that ipad tablets account for more than 98% of tablet traffic to websites.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9573493/Apple-iPad-dominates-tablet-web-traffic.html

These stats are couple of months old, so things might shave changed a bit since then.

Tim Cook at Apple said: "I don't know what these other tablets are doing. They must be in warehouses or on store shelves or maybe in someone's bottom drawer."

This bears out my limited experience too with my mates budget Android tablet running Android ICS.

- When I borrowed it for a week, no one in my family wanted to use it.
- my mate gave it to his son, because he didn't like it.
- my mates son has now bought an ipad because he didn't like it either.
- it's probably sitting in a drawer somewhere collecting dust.

This is only my experience, so don't shoot me down please. If you are in the 2% who do use android on the web, that's great.

Cheers,

NRG
28-11-2012, 08:55
The market will shake down over the next 6months then we'll get a better picture of the winners and losers.

Clive
28-11-2012, 09:00
The stats are amusing and not at all credible. At school we were supposed to learn to apply common sense to statistics.....

According to most industry reports Android outsells iOS, more so with phones than tablets. Of course there are product launch spikes which mess the figures around but however you look at it there are a lot of people using Android. Surfing is not at all hard with either O/S so this is just some form of marketing shill.

Maybe those 1,200 websites are Apple resellers.

NRG
28-11-2012, 09:13
The last report I saw was a 68% share for iPad with Android devices just under 30%. You have to be careful though as you cant separate IOS from the iPad but with Android you are talking about the OS not a product. You would need to break it down iPad vs Nexus etc.

Clive
28-11-2012, 09:26
The last report I saw was a 68% share for iPad with Android devices just under 30%. You have to be careful though as you cant separate IOS from the iPad but with Android you are talking about the OS not a product. You would need to break it down iPad vs Nexus etc.
That's why I made the point about product launches, you get huge spikes after them and dips prior. Averaging out report it looks like Android tabs are there or thereabouts vs iPad. Also where do we place phablets such and the Note? I think the iBrick has to be on a downer now, it just looks so ancient, even the 5.

As for the O/S vs product, it really depends on what you want to prove. iOS is not open and can't be run on other hardware so it makes any comparisons tricky. Then you have US vs Europe. Apple's especially dominant in the US.

Martinh
28-11-2012, 09:35
Yes, statistics can be skewed to show anything you like...

The latest report came this week from IBM, where they analysed online sales over the US thanksgiving weekend.

They say that 10% of online sales were made using a tablet device.

Of the online sales placed using a tablet, 88% were from ipad, the rest from android devices. See here for the details http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/25/apple-ipad-black-friday/

There are loads of theories as to why this should be, as its not in line with the ipad/android market share ratio. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Clive
28-11-2012, 09:49
Apples are premium priced products bought by people with money to burn.

NRG
28-11-2012, 09:56
Oh please Clive, lets not degenerate into an 'All Apple users have more money than sense' mantra. :rolleyes: :doh:

Yes, they are higher price but they seem able to sustain that price in the market, they are bought by people who have made a choice for whatever reason and many many are happy with that choice.

Clive
28-11-2012, 10:02
We were asked for ideas Neal and what you said is not what I meant, money to burn was referring to the products bought over the web, maybe it didn't read that way. The same could be said about BMW, Merc owners etc.

Martinh
28-11-2012, 10:03
And on the other hand Clive...

There were loads of sales on over the thanksgiving weekend, so you would think that the Android cheapskates would be there first.

Only kidding of course :)

I'm looking to buy a second tablet and the nexus 7 is currently top of my list.

Clive
28-11-2012, 10:11
Could be the Andriodians were eating turkey with their families! :-)

More seriously though, some Applites I feel are particularly enticed by gadgets, but of course thisis a massive generalization, I suspect. Probably it's the less technial people who are in this category.

nat8808
28-11-2012, 11:51
People of the world MUST listen to Radio 4's More or Less ! It has a 10 minute World Service program too.

Fridays at 4.30pm. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd)

A lot of these flimsy statistics involve conclusions that have been made at a glance without any thought or even any understanding of the information that was actually collected.

How does a tablet identify itself as a tablet? IOS certainly does make sure that the website knows that it an iPad is being used so that the site can be optimised for the popular device, and there's no easy way to change that, such is the very annoying way that Apple controls its product (and others are now trying to follow).

When you use a Android device, does it only identify itself as being an Android mobile device and not specifically a tablet? What about a Galaxy Note? Is that a tablet or a phone? Quite possibly Android only identifies itself as an Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich device etc with only specific manufacturers setting up the device such that it does indeed specify that it is a indeed a tablet rather than a phone.

nat8808
28-11-2012, 11:59
Personally I find it annoying to be taken to a mobile version of a wesite that many companies insist on giving you if you use a mobile device like a tablet or even a phone.

My old 2009 Nokia N900 is perfectly cabable of handling full websites and that was it's selling point back then.

If I have a tablet or good phone, I deliberately try to set it up so that it identifies itself as a desktop so as to force the use of the full site.

Apple does not allow you to do this and also, many people turn to iPads because they are simple to use and the users don't have technical knowledge as you don't need it - they won't even know about the difference between full websites and those optimised for the iPad and also why would you want to change it anyway? Better to have one optimised for your specific device.

So, many techy bods who use Android devices will have set theirs up NOT to identify itself as a tablet.

How to make your Android browser a desktop browser (2006) (http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44919/make-android-browser-desktop-browser)

Martinh
28-11-2012, 12:15
A lot of these flimsy statistics involve conclusions that have been made at a glance without any thought or even any understanding of the information that was actually collected.

Hi Nat, Interesting points, as usual.

You can download the report, which contains all the data, from the IBM website here http://www-01.ibm.com/software/marketing-solutions/benchmark-reports/benchmark-2012-black-friday.pdf I believe that they do this survey every year.

If you review the raw data, maybe you will come up with a different conclusion. It is possible that they are collecting the data incorrectly.

nat8808
28-11-2012, 12:19
Oh please Clive, lets not degenerate into an 'All Apple users have more money than sense' mantra. :rolleyes: :doh:

Yes, they are higher price but they seem able to sustain that price in the market, they are bought by people who have made a choice for whatever reason and many many are happy with that choice.

The statistics from IBM are supposedly showing that indeed people with iPads shop a lot more using those iPads than those using Android devices.

There are a number of conclusions you could make (that would need further investigation). Two of those being that people with iPads either enjoy spending their money more or they have more money to spend.

Are you saying that the ONLY conclusion is that people are shopping exactly the same amount but just choose to use their iPad to do it whilst Android users use other devices? That would be one of those at-a-glace ill founded conclusions that More or Less picks to pieces.

It is quite feasible that those who buy iPads do indeed have more money 'to burn'.

nat8808
28-11-2012, 12:23
Hi Nat, Interesting points, as usual.

You can download the report, which contains all the data, from the IBM website here http://www-01.ibm.com/software/marketing-solutions/benchmark-reports/benchmark-2012-black-friday.pdf I believe that they do this survey every year.

If you review the raw data, maybe you will come up with a different conclusion. It is possible that they are collecting the data incorrectly.

I think my post only really relates to the Telegraph article which was based on the Onswipe survey.

The IBM one is a different beast..

NRG
28-11-2012, 14:49
The statistics from IBM are supposedly showing that indeed people with iPads shop a lot more using those iPads than those using Android devices.

There are a number of conclusions you could make (that would need further investigation). Two of those being that people with iPads either enjoy spending their money more or they have more money to spend.

Are you saying that the ONLY conclusion is that people are shopping exactly the same amount but just choose to use their iPad to do it whilst Android users use other devices? That would be one of those at-a-glace ill founded conclusions that More or Less picks to pieces.

It is quite feasible that those who buy iPads do indeed have more money 'to burn'.

What are you on about? I made no conclusion my comment was aimed at Clive s post which I took at face value "Apples are premium priced products bought by people with money to burn."

Clive
28-11-2012, 15:09
Now that I'm back on a laptop, not a mobile device let me clarify what I meant. I would expect that many people who buy premium priced products have money to burn vs people who can't afford premium priced products. So they burn that money buying all sorts of products using their premium priced device for making purchases.

I suggest burning money is not just about Apple but some products from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Linn, Naim, Nikon, Canon, Cartier, Wellendorf etc. I'm not having dig (though I admit I'm not pro-Apple), I fit the category myself as a purchaser of a three of the premium brands I've mentioned.

nat8808
28-11-2012, 16:19
What are you on about? I made no conclusion my comment was aimed at Clive s post which I took at face value "Apples are premium priced products bought by people with money to burn."

Sorry I was lumping your response to clive's post with the IBM research - I realise you weren't refering to it now..

Still, the IBM research appears to show that people who iPads tend to used them for a lot of online shopping and hence might be some evidence to say that people who buy iPads are more likely to be those with more money to spend spend spend.

Martinh
28-11-2012, 16:30
I think you'll find that the figures for online shopping are broadly inline with the figures for ipad vs android Internet useage. There have been several studies, apart from the onswipe one that arrive at around the same figure. Just google 'ipad vs android Internet useage' and you'll see.

I suspect that this will change, as sales of products like the Nexus 7 have exploded recently.

BTW Nat, thanks for the android browser tip - works on my Samsung Galaxy SII phone.

Clive
28-11-2012, 16:33
Do you really mean "ipad vs android Internet" usage? If so then it's not that strange.

nat8808
28-11-2012, 22:39
BTW Nat, thanks for the android browser tip - works on my Samsung Galaxy SII phone.

That's ok. Much better isn't it !

That's another Android user taken off the stats, moved to the 'desktop' collumn.

nat8808
28-11-2012, 22:48
Do you really mean "ipad vs android Internet" usage? If so then it's not that strange.

But to me that statistic does seem strange, that still only a small percentage of devices connect to the internet via Android.. I thought Android was much more widespread than that.

When I quickly think about the phones people I know use and then the type of device they use on the internet, a lot of Android users use a netbook whilst iPhone users often have an iPad..

I either use my laptop or my girlfriend's iPad (which then begins to annoy me due to not fitting with my browsing habbits - opening lots of tabs, and listening to imbedded video or iPlayer etc whilst browsing, which Apple won't let IOS do for some reason)